“It Is What It Is,”

Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Chichester
Madrid, Spain
“It Is What It Is,”
Reviewed 23 October 2013

a business hotel, 3 stars. Clean, relatively quiet, accessible to main highways...but not within easy striking distance of Chichester itself. Breakfast buffet was the usual. We did not have dinner in the hotel, as there were two events going on, so we cut through the parking lot to an adjacent steakhouse. However, the bar was well-laid out, and the service attentive.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Nicholas_Hayes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 October 2013

First of all let me start by saying this is a 3 star hotel, so I'm not expecting great luxury - if a 3 star hotel meets the standards I expect then I'll rate it 5 stars for the purpose of review.

In this case I've awarded the Chichester Park Hotel 3 stars.

Firstly my room was large and spacious, although just like the hotel in general, the decor is very dated. The bathroom was clean and a little more modern than the rest of the room. The shower was excellent - very powerful. The bed was nice and firm, but there is no duvet, just a sheet and blanket which was very disappointing.

The LCD TV in the room is around about 20 inches. It does have connective capability such as HDMI so you can watch films from your laptop if you have an HDMI cable, but if you want to do that you're going to have to take the risk of lifting the TV from its bracket to access the ports at the back because the TV is fixed flush against the wall. I know some people won't be bothered by this, but as a frequent business traveller I spend quite a bit of time in my room winding down watching shows from my laptop - there is nothing more frustrating than finding a TV with HDMI capability, but you can't actually get to the HDMI ports!

The wifi comes at a cost - £5 for 24 hours, £10 for a week, £20 for a month - the internet speed is approximately 3.5 - 4.0 Meg, which isn't amazing but you can still stream average quality video and I wouldn't call it "slow".

I have found the room service food to be quite poor quality, although the portions are generous. The sirloin steak I had was unbelievably tough, dispite it being medium cooked. This makes me think the meat may have been in the freezer for a while beforehand. I also ordered the raspberry cheesecake, which I'm pretty sure had passed its expiry date - I took one bite and the only way I could describe the taste is that of an out of date raspberry petit-filous.

As I'm sure is the case with many of these smaller, dated, independent hotels your room location is really down to the luck of the draw. I was positioned directly underneath some stairs, which wasn't too bad, but you always get the complete moron who walks like an elephant. I also found the walls to be really thin and was unlucky enough to be in a room next to someone who wanted to get their money's worth from the TV volume, whilst constantly talking on their phone in the evening. It was probably the same elephant walking down the stairs.

All in all I'd say it was an average/poor 3 star hotel, but it is what I expected based on other reviews. I'm afraid an independent 3 star hotel nowadays typically means a dated hotel completely outclassed by the cool, modern, simplistic 3 star chain hotels such as Premier Inn and Holiday Inn - and the Chichester Park Hotel is no exception.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank The_Owners_Son
Brentwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 October 2013

I called the hotel on the morning of Monday 14th October 2013 to enquire if there were 2 rooms (2 adults per room) available for the New Year Eve 1 night package at £120 per person. A polite gentleman informed me that they were now only accepting the 2 night packages has the 1 nighter allocation had been used up. He said he would check with his manager Dean and would give me a call back that afternoon. I did not receive any such but waited in anticipation on Tuesday. So Wednesday came and I called again and the same promises were made but guess what still no call. So on Thursday I called yet again and the same old story yes you've guessed it no call . . . it is Friday and I am still waiting. I can now see the funny of side of this but I am extremely disappointed with the attitude and bad manners that this hotel have not afforded me a common courtesy call . . .

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 September 2013

From the minute we arrived and were greeted by a helpful and polite receptionist to the minute we left we were afforded speedy and friendly service. The rooms are well equipped if lacking in character but for what we paid we were happy with what we received! Comfortable bed, powerful shower and generous hot breakfast as well as free use of the swimming pool. Quite often these are lacking in more costly hotels! Thanks for an enjoyable stay and particularly to the breakfast staff who were friendly and efficient early in the day. Would stay again of course but would request a bedroom closer to the main entrance as it's a very large hotel.

Room Tip: ask for a room near reception with a garden view
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BeerTraveller7
Emsworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 September 2013

We booked 2 rooms, several weeks in advance for an overnight stay at this hotel due to my daughter being married only a few miles up the road. On the Friday prior to the wedding, I called the hotel to confirm that we would not be checking in until after midnight. The receptionist said that this would not be a problem and was fully aware that we were at my daughters wedding at another location. On arrival at 00:15 we were greeted by loud music coming from the hotel and rowdiness outside, car parking proved difficult. We went to check in only to be told that there was only 1 room available due to the fact that we had never booked in early enough. They had quite obviously given up our other room to one of the guests attending the "party" which was also going on there. To cut a long story short, I spoke to Dean the "so-called" manager who was ever so rude and unhelpful. He had said he had been trying to call us at home all evening and I explained to him "why would I be at home when attending a wedding and had booked 2 rooms for the night?" This ended in my son and his girlfriend having to drive back to Southampton. We went along to our room, tired after a long day, the walk to the room was by no means a short one. The room once inside was very shabby, I discovered that the toilet pan was badly cracked and damaged and the dressing table area was very badly burnt from hot drinks. I opened the window which was ever so child unfriendly as it had no safety catches and we were on the first floor. I must point out we also had our 2yo granddaughter staying with us as well. The next morning we went down to breakfast which I must say was good quality and plenty of it, the only downside was that I asked for a high chair for my granddaughter and was told "we don't have any here". In replacement they gave us a large chair cushion for her to sit on, far from ideal. After breakfast I noticed at the reception that there were 2 different members of staff there so I went over to try and get some reasoning for the disaster the night before, they did kindly try and understand my situation and were apologetic however this was never satisfactory due to how I was treated the previous night. I did ask to speak to a manager again to be told that it was (Dean Chahboune -Director) the same guy who I dealt with the night before but after speaking with him previously there was no way I wanted to deal with his rudeness and unhelpfulness again. I checked out feeling very dissatisfied with my whole experience at Chichester Park Hotel. I paid £95 for one night with breakfast but for what we actually received this was by no means reflecting of the price. We would have been better of checking into a Premier Inn that night. Never again will I recommend or return.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank MartinT1959
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 September 2013

Had to make a short-notice booking for a number of family members for a couple of nights in advance of a funeral nearby. Staff were very helpful trying to accommodate everyone. They had a dinner/dance and wedding party in the function room over this weekend but neither caused us any disturbance to us.

After reading reviews we asked for a ground floor room (as no lift) and at the back (quiet) for an elderly member of the group. It did mean a trek to other parts of the hotel. In fact, noise wasn't a problem at all, from inside or outside. My room overlooked the lovely garden. Windows triple glazed and we kept ours closed because despite hot weather by day it turned chilly at night. This may have caused my wakefulness and poor sleep - bedding was only a sheet and thin bedcover. Not sure I can blame the bed itself. Family members in room 216 had a good night and memory foam mattress. Might be worth asking if you like these. Useful to have the iron and ironing board in the room not just the trouser press.

Decor of the spa (lots of wood) gives a relaxing atmosphere. Use towel from room and take a £1 coin (returnable) for a locker. Would've been nice to swap towel for a dry one as used the pool several times over the weekend. So pleased to have booked at this hotel. Gym looked well equipped.

Buffet breakfast had good selection for me - healthy cereal, muesli, nuts to add, good selection of fresh, tinned and dried fruits, yoghurt and juices but also well-cooked selection of cooked food. Notice that other people also dislike the sausages that taste like stuffing!

Walking distance to Sainsbury's and a Harvester. On Sunday evening we drove into Chichester for a meal but during the day we'd probably try the bus due to parking. Hotel's tourist leaflets were for attractions many miles away but we discovered the Weald and Downland Open Air Museum nearby. It's a brilliant day out if the weather is dry and bright.

Would recommend.

Room Tip: Rooms vary in many ways so if you have any special requirements you may need to ring the hotel, rath...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 September 2013 via mobile

My friend booked a cream tea and use of spa facilities at this hotel for the afternoon so can not comment on the rooms.

Spa facilities are average very small.
Cream tea was awful!l looked good but cut into my scone and was mouldy, obviously not cooked properly in the first place! And been hanging around for a LONG time!
This is not acceptable! They offered us drinks and food free of charge, but that's not really the point! After finding mouldy scones I didn't fancy anything else off the menu. Was a struggle to eat anything that was put in front of me. Foul food would not return and will be spreading the word like the spread of mould on their scones!!!

• Stayed September 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chichester
Chichester Harbour Hotel
The Nags Head
The Nags Head
#8 of 8 in Chichester
Travelodge Chichester Emsworth

Been to Chichester Park Hotel? Share your experiences!