“Not as good as I had hoped.”
Review of The Fox Goes Free

The Fox Goes Free
Ranked #10 of 256 Restaurants in Chichester
Price range: US$9 - US$30
Cuisines: Seafood, British
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 26 February 2012

My wife and I had Sunday lunch here with her brother and his partner. The place was very busy (usually a good sign) and we had been sufficiently impressed on a previous visit to want to go again. This time it was a very mixed bag. I have set out a few points below.
Plus - Chicken and duck liver parfait with apple chutney. The taste and quality of the roast sirloin. Roast potatoes. Salmon fillet. Rustic nature of the restaurant. Quality of service. Choice of beers and cider available.
Minus - Dogs allowed in the same area as people were eating. Quantity ot the roast sirloin (two very thin slices). Toasted brioche that was so dry it broke up into crumbs that the parfait could not be spread on. Absurdly low ex-classroom, uncomfortable chairs (see them on their website).
It's the usual dilemma for me. There is no 'good' rating. That would have been spot on for this place. It is not good enough to get 'very good' from me, so I am left with 'average.'

3  Thank CityGardener

Reviewed 6 January 2012

This is our favourite place to eat in West Sussex; a true gem nestled in the foot of the South Downs. Many a family occasion, anniversary or birthday have been celebrated here. I would highly reccommend this great gastro pub, the steak is delectable!

3  Thank jason440
Reviewed 21 December 2011

We were attending an evening wedding reception on Sunday 11th Dec 2011 at the nearby Goodwood Hotel; but wanted a more personalised venue to have Sunday Lunch & stay over. We were recommended the Fox Goes Free by our friends who live in Bognor Regis.
Our friends advised that the food & service were very good on previous visits they had made, but new they had rooms but did not know what they were like.
So, we booked for Sunday lunch for 12:30pm and a room for the night. We were shocked on arriving at 12 noon to find that the place was heaving every table was booked out, good job we pre booked ours. Each dining area had a welcoming log fire, The bar staff made us really welcome with excellent service. We shared a meze appetiser & glad we didn’t order a starter as well, the Meze was huge. The main course was excellent sirloin of beef; 5 medium size roast pots, homemade Yorkshire pudding and a fantastic bowl of fresh vegetables with a least 6 types of veg. Unlike the previous review. For us the veg was cooked perfectly, NOT mushy like a lot of places & certainly not hard; just right. The desserts were brill (treacle tart & a chocolate dessert). We thoroughly enjoyed our lunch & over night stay (room 2). Breakfast was excellent.
The Managers Matt & Jo could not have given us any better experience of the Fox Goes Free so much so that we have booked to stay with friends in February 2012 for the Clay shoot experience with Brunch, shoot & tuition & dinner and again overnight. What a great find in the country highly recommended by us. PS our room was spotless.

2  Thank JohntyRingwood1
Reviewed 26 November 2011

This pub is a real find and will make the effort to travel here to eat again. I am often disappointed by pubs that have sticky tables, dour decor and damp, grotty loos. I am pleased to say that the Fox Goes Free has none of these things.

We ate at lunchtime and managed to get a table despite many being reserved already. The food was freshly cooked from scratch and is some of the best I have ever had in a pub. Other diners seemed equally pleased by the comments we overheard. The menu was also not over-fussy and not trying to be something that it isn't. There were open fires, friendly bar staff and rustic decor. Families were also welcome.

Would recommend. I also think they may have accommodation also.

1  Thank Greymalkin_10
Reviewed 16 November 2011

We only stopped in for drinks but I fell in love with this pub. After a hike on the Downs it was lovely to sit next to the huge fire and feel like we were sitting in history.