“Poor value”

Cuisines: European, British
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 2 August 2014

To be fair we have had a couple of quite pleasant meals here in the past.- it is very convenient for the theatre. However on this our third visit the pre-theatre menu had been increased in price - 2 courses for £18.50. Starter was four chewy bits of what I suspect was tinned asparagus wrapped in a rather flavourless piece of "parma ham",other starter was two large peeled prawns and a couple of small pieces of smoked salmon, in both cases accompanied by some salad leaves. Main course - a hand-full of uncooked cabbage on which rested quite the smallest plaice I have ever seen - overcooked, on top of this some tasteless overcooked spinach, then a lump of congealed mozarella and two tiny bits of tomato skin accompanied by three new potatoes.
The place was packed with people taking advantage of the 1/2 price cocktail hours.
Suffice it to say we will not be going back.

Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

Went to Marcos for cocktails, asked if they sold chips which the guy behind the bar said we do but not sure if the chef could do them as they were about to start service! Nobody was in the restaurant and I work in this industry myself and it doesn't take 2 minutes to fry some chips! They then finally agreed to do them, we ordered two portions, they arrived and no word of a life 10 chips in a bowl..... I paid £6.80 for two portions! When I asked the waiter if this was two portions, he replied yes it is two portions I'll see if the chef can do some more. We waited 15 minutes for no chips to arrive instead of a tray of disgusting canapés to arrive that look like they have been sat out all day! Very disappointed! Wouldn't return...

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Table originally booked for 2015 on a Satuday. Changed by us to 1945 earlier that evening. Arrived on time, table ready at 2020! Some specials already unavailable. Requested another special & told by Marco that he'd enquire if they had one left & tell me. He didn't. We ordered bread for 2 & 1 starter (There were 3 of us) Bread arrived 20 minutes before the terrine starter.
Butter straight from fridge was too hard to spread. Main course of 3 x Cod arrived, good sized portion, nicely presented. however my wifes was well underdone, mine was undercooked as well but I ate most of it. We sent back my wife's. Marco was apologetic & knocked my wife's off the bill, along with 2 portion of chips (chips in ramkin dish were 30mm square x 70mm long) No sweet & we left at 2210. Slow service. Poorly cooked. If I wanted fast food I'd go to McD but this is unacceptable. We won't return. Spotless loos, decor good.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

We booked for a pre theatre meal, which is advisable as rather busy , however turned up a bit early . The young man behind the bar suggested a cocktail whilst looking at the menu ( half price at the time). Pleasantly surprised when my partners expresso martini was made from scratch ,No pre mixed rubbish here, I had a Vespa stirred with fresh lime . Our table was ready and Teresa seated us taking our order whilst chatting about the theatre and advised on the wines. Recommending the Gavi . Delightful . The meal was lovely especially my partners mushroom stroganoff and the service wonderful , thank you Teresa. This is a perfect start to night at the theatre and will be returning soon

Reviewed 19 July 2014

I've not eaten here, unless you count the amuse bouche dishes that they serve you with the drinks, these are very tasty.
The cocktails here are out of this world, made to order (none of this pre packaged stuff) with fresh ingredients and good quality spirits and mixers. Highly recommend it to anyone.
There can be some stuffy patrons but ignore them and enjoy your evening.
Staff are also friendly and working as quick as they can i.e. you have to expect it to take a few minutes per cocktail though this seems to come as a surprise to some people!

1  Thank June L