“One if the worst meals!”

Number One Northgate Restaurant Bar Terrace
Ranked #53 of 236 Restaurants in Chichester
Price range: US$4 - US$26
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Drinks, Dinner, Brunch, After-hours, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
London, England, United Kingdom
“One if the worst meals!”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Firstly, we were told by the waitress that we had to order off the pre-theatre menu or the specials! We questioned this again but she insisted. So to start with we were forced to spend more than we had wanted. The started of prawn and smoked salmon salad was so small it was negligible. The main course of plaice with new potatoes and broccoli was pretty disgusting. Place so over cooked it was almost inedible, two or the small potatoes and a couple of sprigs of broccoli. My friend was paying so it was not possible for me to complain, however she was so disgusted that no service was left. Considering that the menu was £18.50 for two courses this is inordinately expensive, especially as the raw ingredients are cheap and minuscule. We won't be going back.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank Gill W

Hampshire
“Poor service”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We went for a pre theatre lunch and luckily booked early. We had been before. The service was awful. We were not given menus and no one seemed interested. None of the waiting staff made eye contact and overall although convenient for the theatre we would now find somewhere else to eat. They all seemed so disinterested and every table around us seemed to suffer poor service having to chase food and drinks

• Visited August 2014
SE England
“Poor value”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

To be fair we have had a couple of quite pleasant meals here in the past.- it is very convenient for the theatre. However on this our third visit the pre-theatre menu had been increased in price - 2 courses for £18.50. Starter was four chewy bits of what I suspect was tinned asparagus wrapped in a rather flavourless piece of "parma ham",other starter was two large peeled prawns and a couple of small pieces of smoked salmon, in both cases accompanied by some salad leaves. Main course - a hand-full of uncooked cabbage on which rested quite the smallest plaice I have ever seen - overcooked, on top of this some tasteless overcooked spinach, then a lump of congealed mozarella and two tiny bits of tomato skin accompanied by three new potatoes.
The place was packed with people taking advantage of the 1/2 price cocktail hours.
Suffice it to say we will not be going back.

• Visited August 2014
Chichester, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Expensive!!!! Go else where”
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

Went to Marcos for cocktails, asked if they sold chips which the guy behind the bar said we do but not sure if the chef could do them as they were about to start service! Nobody was in the restaurant and I work in this industry myself and it doesn't take 2 minutes to fry some chips! They then finally agreed to do them, we ordered two portions, they arrived and no word of a life 10 chips in a bowl..... I paid £6.80 for two portions! When I asked the waiter if this was two portions, he replied yes it is two portions I'll see if the chef can do some more. We waited 15 minutes for no chips to arrive instead of a tray of disgusting canapés to arrive that look like they have been sat out all day! Very disappointed! Wouldn't return...

Brighton, United Kingdom
“A disapointment”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Table originally booked for 2015 on a Satuday. Changed by us to 1945 earlier that evening. Arrived on time, table ready at 2020! Some specials already unavailable. Requested another special & told by Marco that he'd enquire if they had one left & tell me. He didn't. We ordered bread for 2 & 1 starter (There were 3 of us) Bread arrived 20 minutes before the terrine starter.
Butter straight from fridge was too hard to spread. Main course of 3 x Cod arrived, good sized portion, nicely presented. however my wifes was well underdone, mine was undercooked as well but I ate most of it. We sent back my wife's. Marco was apologetic & knocked my wife's off the bill, along with 2 portion of chips (chips in ramkin dish were 30mm square x 70mm long) No sweet & we left at 2210. Slow service. Poorly cooked. If I wanted fast food I'd go to McD but this is unacceptable. We won't return. Spotless loos, decor good.

• Visited July 2014