“Great pub lunch”

Ranked #17 of 257 Restaurants in Chichester
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 25 February 2013

We visited this very pleasant free house today and had a very nice lunch. It's true that we had to wait a little while for the food to arrive. This was because two of us had ordered the steak and kidney pudding and it was still cooking. The wait was very worthwhile.Figs on Greek yoghurt were an unusual but excellent dessert. The staff were very friendly and welcoming. The Chidham bitter was very good.

Reviewed 3 February 2013

We go to this pub most often having a holiday home not far away. The food is great. Service superb. Definite visit!! (although the photo pictured is not correct - The true Old House at Home, Cot Lane, Chidham - is far prettier). Check out the award winning beer garden!!

Reviewed 23 January 2013

We have visited here three times in the last two years. It is the kind of cosy pub which you would love to have as a local. They are friendly and welcoming to all, including children. The food is excellent.

Reviewed 26 November 2012

I visited this pub in August and wrote an amazing review and said we were looking forward to visiting again in November which we did. It was very disappointing, the service was awful, some of the food was a let down and I was so upset and would not visit again. We were due to go in December with friends and I have now made other arrangements.

There was 10 of us in our party, once we had drinks we sat down at our table and waited 35 minutes for someone to come and take our order. The lady who served us did not seem particularly keen to be serving at all, her manner was poor, she stood at the end of our long table and did not engage with us at all, it was quite noisy in there as it was a saturday night and we had to shout to tell her our order. When the meals came, my meal was wrong, they brought scampi and I had order the salmon fillet with saute potatoes, I explained to the other waitress that I had ordered salmon and not scampi, she said the other lady said she wrote down scampi but they would cook me my salmon and it would be with me in 10 - 15 minutes, when it came it had microwaved boiled new potatoes which I absolutely hate, I picked this meal for the saute potatoes. When the older lady walked passed she made a comment of oh it must have been my mistake as I wrote down scampi, no apology from her, I obviously knew what I ordered.

The whole experience was disappointing for all of us, we did not feel comfortable or well served.

It is so disappointing when the experience and service is not like before. 5 of us ordered the pate to start which I had given my family great reviews saying it came with two slices of bloomer style bread or you could have it as toast, lots of pate and a nice side salad. This time there was only one small slice of toast and we weren't asked whether we wanted toast or bread.

My husband said he felt there must have been a problem with the main chef being off and the lady serving us also having to step in as her manner was decidedly unfriendly.

Will not be visiting again or recommending to friends which is such a shame after our first experience.

2  Thank holidaymad49
Reviewed 18 November 2012

I'd heard many good reports about this pub so decided to book it for a modest family celebration,
I found the whole experience completely under-whelming.
The food was expensive and no better than numerous other less-expensive alternative's.
It lacked atmosphere, possibly because there were very few people in there.
Overall very disappointing.