“Out of the way - worth a detour.”

The Old House at Home
Ranked #36 of 250 Restaurants in Chichester
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I've been aware of this establishment for a couple of years, and have occasionally called in for a beer whilst cycling around Chidham peninsula. It is a delightful, old building with an extensive sheltered garden.
On impulse my wife and I cycled there for lunch one Friday. It was healthily busy. We were warmly welcomed and we had no difficulty finding a table.
I opted for a set lunch, two courses for £11.50: country pate, followed by cod with a breadcrumb crust accompanied by green beans and a buttery sauce. We asked for extra cutlery so that my wife could share the starter. My wife chose a-la-carte: coronation chicken with salad for main course.
Service was courteous and prompt.
Food: well presented, very tasty and reasonably priced for the quality.
"We'll come again," I said to the landlady as I paid the bill. I meant it!

1  Thank dogsbodyandwretch
There are newer reviews for The Old House at Home

Reviewed 10 August 2014

We eat here fairly often and is certainly where we take visitors for reliable quality at a very reasonable price. The atmosphere is homely, friendly and welcoming. Both landlord and lady are charming and they recruit excellent staff for whom nothing is too much trouble. I have never had a bad experience at this charming 'old house' I would recommend it unreservedly.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

We had heard that the pretty, busy, pub was good and we were not disappointed.No grumpy landlady here, she was a delight! Food was yummy. My husband had a seared tuna salad and I had had an oriental duck salad at lunch time, both sensibly priced. Portion sizes are impressively large. Newspapers are kept in the pub which helps whilst waiting for food. We will definitely be back. We only wish we lived nearer!

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Fell upon this lovely pub whilst out delivering for work. We decided to stop and have lunch. The pub was very tucked away but busy - always a good sign. It has a beautiful little garden and courtyard. I finally chose the veggie flat mushroom choice and my partner had cod and chips. Both were presented well and tasted even better. Am looking forward to my next visit already...soon.

1  Thank HPDunning
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We eat here with different friends every couple of months and can honestly say we have never had anything but lovely food, friendly and efficient service served in a lovely atmosphere. Four of us had lunch here at the end of June and we were more than happy. The beer's pretty good as well!

Will continue to return!