“We were fortunate, but.”
Review of Maison Blanc - CLOSED

Maison Blanc
Cuisines: French, Cafe
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Located on South Street just a few minutes' walk from the Cathedral and Southgate. Stephane and his friendly team will give you a warm welcome and look forward to serving you a seasonal cafe menu, afternoon tea, delicious pastries and patisserie. Plenty of seating available. Licensed. Maison Blanc is an artisan bakery renowned for its speciality breads, freshly baked pastries, seasonal menu and of course world famous cakes and patisserie - all handmade to perfection and simply bursting with seasonal flavour.We're passionate about serving innovative, charming and authentically French food that leaves our customers craving for more. Our core value is Tradition et Qualite which remains at the heart of everything we do from sourcing the finest and freshest ingredients, to the creation of our recipes and presentation of our food.Originally created in Oxford in 1980, we were the first authentic patisserie in England. We now serve a little slice of France in 14 locations around London and the South. Our cafes are the perfect place for a rendez-vous with family and friendsWe adopt a joie-de vie attitude and believe that life should be enjoyed one delicate macaroon at a time.
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I had a repeat visit, following an invitation from the manager, as his guest.
I appreciated that and booked a few hours in advance.
The back of the restaurant was very warm, we asked for air con on and suddenly it was freezing but we didn't like to make a nuisance of ourselves by asking for it to be altered again.
To be fair this was a 'free n gratis' meal, however other than the perfunctory 'is everything ok question' there was no engagement. In fairness to them it was a busy Saturday afternoon but I wanted to offer feedback face to face - I offered to pay for a patisserie extra but the free food felt like a tick box exercise by them, not a chance to engage with a willing customer, even when I hung back solo at the end.
My previous 'suggestions' for cake forks - as it is a patisserie - hadn't been actioned, fair enough, a corporate decision perhaps.
The sandwiches were (had we paid) overpriced and really nothing special. The wine was nothing like a 'quality glass'. The food took an age (over 25 mins for 4 open sandwiches) and then it was just not delicious - the request for a sandwich (without mayo please) was messed up, but my daughter ate it. Tomatoes were tasteless, bread was thin and had got a bit wet with ingredients, nothing was as 'good' as you would sincerely hope.
I would suggest that the best part is to go for cake and sweet stuff - presentation is good, but the prices are steep. There is no special atmosphere - the seating was such that I had half of my back to a pillar and half on a bench seat - rather odd. Other customers are sat in the midst of a shop where folks walk in to buy baked goods.
Thank you Stephane, it was a lovely gesture but we will not be returning.

Maison B, Manager at Maison Blanc, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review us.

I am very sorry to hear we couldn't make up for the disappointing afternoon tea you had previously with us.

Myself being the waiter who attended to your table, I am disappointed to hear you did not feel we were attentive enough on this occasion, or the last. Also very disappointing to hear that the sandwich you received was also not correct. Please be assured that your all feedback given has gone some way to improving all aspects of the experience we give our guests.

Thank you once again for taking the time to review the service you had on that day.

Stephane.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

I have been going to Maison Blanc in Chichester since I was ten years old, so for 19 years! I have never ever been disappointed with the coffee, croissants and service, impeccable every time. The almond croissants are delicious and I cannot find better ones anywhere else. Brilliant cafe. Thoroughly recommend.

Maison B, Manager at Maison Blanc, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Thank you Sophie for your lovely review and for your loyal custom.

Our almond croissants have been one of our most popular products and I believe the recipe has hardly changed in the 30 years that Maison Blanc has existed.

I will pass on your kind words to the bakery and the team and I look forward to celebrating your 20 years of loyalty!

Stephane

Reviewed 16 March 2014

We have enjoyed yet another stop here for refreshment-twice today. Earlier stop for a nice cooked breakfast and later for an exit coffee and cake. The coffee is always excellent and the choice of cakes is wide and well made. Good value and always helpful and chatty staff keen to help. Consistently the best MB we have eaten in.

Maison B, Manager at Maison Blanc, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

Thank you very much for your lovely review. I am delighted to hear you came back for seconds on the same day and I will pass on your kind words to the team.

We're looking forward to see you again soon, and please, keep an eye open for all our Easter treats, the new Carrot Cake is simply to die for...

Stephane.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

Great place when first opened but has obviously gone downhill. Still charging top money (£14.00 for two teas and two Strawberry Fraisiers (Cheesecakes) but one spoon provided was badly tea stained, the tea pot externally was dirty and i watched a waitress clean a table, wiping the crumbs onto the floor and wiping around unused cutlery. To be fair quite minor points but when you pay top dollar you expect more from an establishment of this kind. I shan't be returning.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

We went past Maison Blanc last Saturday while doing some shopping, and seeing the nice buzz as well as the relatively extensive menu (all day breakfast was what drew us in), we decided to give it a go. Despite rushing around, the staff acknowledged us as soon as we opened the door, we waited a couple of minutes and then were sat at a table in the window.

We asked if we could go a little off menu (our kids wanted some bacon sandwich, which strangely enough wasn't on the menu) and the waiter was more than happy to help and started asking them how they wanted it.

I had the egg cocot with salmon, my husband the chicken club which both were very tasty. The service wasn't overly attentive, but actually, every time we needed something there was always someone around to make eye contact with and they would serve us right away.

A very good experience, very nice coffee and we even bought some bread on our way out. Our only regret was not to have stayed longer for a slice of cake. But we will definitely be back!

Lilly