“Chapel or Church”
Review of St John's Chapel

St John's Chapel
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We wanted to visit this Chapel/Church and it took us ages to find it. On some maps it is labelled Church on others it is labelled Chapel. Well what a find when you do find it. A bit eerie and love the picture of the false organ at the top. Very quiet and peaceful place to go.

Reviewed 6 October 2013

I have visited Chichester on day trips for many years and have only recently heard about this chapel from Trip Advisor. It is definitely worth visiting this chapel. It is a time capsule and a lovely place to relax from the busy streets and yet only minutes away. The box pews and the lectern (?) are really interesting and I had to resist the urge to climb over the rope and climb up and start, if not preaching, at least speaking to an imaginary audience! I am so glad I found this place.

Reviewed 26 July 2013

We have made regular trips to Chichester for many years but we were only alerted to this architectural gem by the Trip Advisor reviews. We visited yesterday and loved the unusual nature of the building. Our initial impression was of a Baptist Chapel especially with the dominance of the splendid triple decker pulpit which masks the tiny altar on the rear wall. However it was opened in 1813 to provide urgently needed additional accommodation for the Anglican Community. There are some interesting box pews and the whole design is laid out in a most theatrical way. Unless you are a specialist in Georgian Church architecture a visit would probably not take longer than thirty minutes but if you have other commitments in the City it is well worth stopping off. Regular opening times are 10.00 am until 04.00 pm seven days a week.

3  Thank bsandrs
Reviewed 21 June 2013

I don't know where you found the photo but it is certainly not St John's Chichester. I attach a photo which I took in St John's Chichester this afternoon! I've written a review before so won't do so again!