“Really lovely staff”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Came here with my other half to celebrate a belated valentines. The food at lunchtime was really good and most enjoyable. Particularly the chocolate brownie. Just as importantly were the fabulous, helpful and friendly staff.

We had a fabulous time and are looking forward to retuning in the evening.

1  Thank charliegg

Reviewed 16 February 2014

We booked a table for 2 on the Saturday morning for that evening. When we arrived at 7.30, it was pretty quiet and we wondered if this was a good choice. It filled out a bit later with a number of other couples and 2 large parties.

We liked the décor and layout of the restaurant. The staff seemed friendly and offered drinks when we arrived. When the drinks were brought to the table we asked for some olives to eat whilst looking over the rest of the menu; these took quite a while to arrive. They came with 3 pieces of bread (this always puzzles me as there are 2 people, why don't they provide 2 or 4 pieces of bread?)

We had not been looking at the menu for that long and the waiter asked if we were ready to order. We advised we were still looking and asked if the olives are coming. He said yes, but just to warn you there are 2 large parties coming in that night so we might want to consider ordering soon. On one hand this is good to know, but on the other we felt like we were being rushed.

The olives arrived and we decided to order a baked camembert to share. This was nice, but there was more bread with this dish than required.

For main course, we ordered Steak and Ale pie, which came with mashed potatoes on top of the pie and some vegetables, (restaurant speciality). The pastry was a little thick, but the filling was good. The other dish was homemade fishcakes and chips. The fishcakes were not the best I have had, not that light and flaky filling as I have experienced in other fishcakes eaten previously.

Overall, the service was good and the food was basic but reasonable. The restaurant did fill up and had a good atmosphere. The background music was nice and more importantly in the background, so you could hear each other talk.

Although I rated this as Average, it really sits somewhere in between Average and Very Good. (I.e. Good). We would go back some time in the future.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

Came here with my husband for valentines day and not disappointed at all. The ambiance was amazing for a valentines day and a pianist was playing. Service really good and waitresses friendly. We have been offered drinks and everything. Food was really good quality and tasty. The Camembert box was a perfect starter to be shared.
I'll recommend this place to everyone looking for a nice night out!

1  Thank Terrysw
Reviewed 12 February 2014

We were really looking forward to a girls night out and have been left very bitterly disappointed from start to finish.
When we were seated the waitress asked us if we wanted drinks. My friend asked for a mint mojito. The waitress promptly rolled her eyes and did a sarcastic laugh. My friend offered to have a Malibu and coke if it was easier, expecting the waitress to apologise and say a mojito would be no problem. However she responded saying that would be easier unless she wanted a long wait for her drink! 10 minutes after our drinks arrived another waitress offered to take our order. Our starters arrived quite promptly and we were offered more drinks which we did order. Our mains arrived and another friendly waitress asked us if we wanted any other sauces etc. All our burgers were very dry and crumbly. The waitress did ask us if they had been ok but we didn't want to cause a fuss complaining as they had been edible just not the high standard we expected. Our mains were cleared and dessert menu offered. We declined desserts and the waitress quickly left without offering drinks or teas and coffees. We were all very thirsty and no one then came to check on us for an hour. We had to go to the bar to get the bill in the end and then had to take our money to the bar as the same waitress from the beginning had walked passed, looked at the money and ignored it. We had all taken out £30 from the cash point and as the bill was £74.75 we had put all our cash in. I took the money to the till and the waitress who had rolled her eyes ignored us again whilst she chatted to a friend. Eventually she came and took it with little thanks. I asked if she wouldn't mind giving us 3 £5 notes in change so we could split it equally. When she returned she only gave me £5.25. I said I'd given her £90 and she promptly said we had given her £80. She then turned to the till, opened it and looked at a few notes then without a word took two £5 noted out which she promptly threw down on the bar without a word and walked off.
We were so shocked at this but there didn't seem to be anyone around in charge to speak to so we left and I felt it best to email you now. Having visited this restaurant when it was number 12, I expected very high standards in customer care and food and have to say we were met with very much the opposite. Paying £75 for the experience we received is appalling.
I

2  Thank kazzaren
Reviewed 27 January 2014

I arrived at vintage at around 530 ish to meet my friends. I was the first one there so waited at the bar. The staff member there was really friendly and was talking and laughing with all the customers. When my friends arrived we sat in a table by the fire place planning on just having a few drinks. However, we saw a staff member serving food to the table next to us and we decided to eat. We had camembert for starter which we shared among ourselves (4 of us), it was really tasty. For the main i had a steak , i asked to have it rare and nice bloody with garlic butter. The cooked the steak exactly how i wanted so was really really happy about that. My friends had the pie and said it was really good but one of them was unable to eat all of it as it they we're such big portion. The music was really old school which probably my grandparents or parents will know, however i did like the music as goes well with the theme of the place. Overall, it was a positive experience and recommend if you want good food, a place where you can have drinks with your mates and being able to hear one another.

2  Thank localchichestergirl