“superb lunch”

Price range: US$7 - US$40
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The George has been a public house for over 170 years and is first shown on the Tithe Map from 1840. Nestled into the rolling hills of the Sussex South Downs National Park The George is just off the beaten track in the small village of Eartham, perfectly situated just 6 miles from the bustling city of Chichester and within 10 miles of Petworth, Midhurst and Arundel. A traditional English pub, it provides a comfortable and welcoming place to visit whatever the season. There are three open fires for those cool autumn and winter evenings and a pretty garden to sit out in on bright summer days. There is a selection of good walks and cycle routes in this area including Eartham woods, The South Downs Way and a particularly interesting section of Stane Street (56 mile long Roman Road connecting Chichester to London) located an easy 1/2 mile walk from the pub. The George is a privately owned Freehouse and your hosts Anita & James offer a warm welcome to all. We are proud to offer good honest British food with a seasonal menu taking advantage of locally sourced ingredients plus a selection of traditional roasts for your Sunday Lunch. Whether you want a full meal or only a light bite, your food is freshly prepared to order. In our well kept cellar we include a wide selection of English, Commonwealth & New World wines, English Mead and soft drinks. There are always 4 or 5 choices of Real Ales sourced from local and national quality breweries. We also have a wide range of English Lagers, Ciders and bottled Beers.
Reviewed 30 August 2013

I've been hearing great things about this pub through the great vine, so I thought I would take my wife there for lunch today. I must say we were not disappointed. From the moment we walked through the door we were greeted by a very welcoming barman offering us a wide selection of local ale, lagers, and wines. After we were served our drinks we asked if it was possible to have lunch to which we were told yes and taken to our table with a couple of menu's. looking through the menu I must say all the dishes sounded mouth watering, in the end my wife and I decided to have the wild mushroom with poached egg as our starter, This was a great choice, it was lovely, well presented, served promptly, and the tastes of the eggs and mushroom complimented each other.
For my main course I had the pigs in blanket with a red wine gravy served on a bed of mashed potato, the sausages were cooked to perfection, the red wine gravy was of a great consistency and the red wine was not to over powering. the mashed potato was the best I've ever had, it was so smooth with no lumps what so ever. I would recommend this to any one!
My wife decided to go for the rump steak sandwich with goats cheese and caramelized onion. Again this was a great choice, presentation was brilliant and the sandwich its self was superb.
The service of our barman/waiter was second to none he was polite, welcoming and on the ball when it came to our food service, I just wish other eating establishments in the area had staff as good as this.
I can not wait to return with my wife and children to try some of the other mouth watering dishes on the menu as I am sure they will be just as good if not better than our dishes today. such a lovely pub I will definitely be recommending it to all my friends.

Reviewed 30 August 2013

I was driving through the village a while back to go for a bike ride in Eartham woods, i popped in afterwards only intending to have a coke and bag of crisps but when i went to the bar i was pleasantly suprised by the local lagers and ales.
After a nice friendly conversation with the landlord who i must say has a real passion for quality beer. A great selection from sussex breweries enticed me into a pint of the pubs main seller 'the george' a very nicely balanced 'session' beer. After trying theothers too i subsequently stayed and had a couple of beers and a lovely evening.
It was quiet but straight after the bank holiday it was to be expected.
I didnt eat any food but the menu is full.of choice and there was a good choice of local fresh fish. The food that did pass me looked great and im looking forward to returning to sample what they have to offer and try some of the good wine that the landlord told me all about.
Overall a lovely village pub with passionate owners and great beer and lagers of which none is the mainstreamrubbish too many pubs chose to sell

Reviewed 29 August 2013

Wow what a day out.
I have heard an awful lot of brilliant things about the service, food and atmosphere at The George.
I planned my trip from Selsey with my Two douge De Bourdouxs, Peggy and Bruce for a long walk into the near by forest. After a couple of hours walking with them; by this point covered in mud and muck. I decided to head to the George for a meal where i was meeting my best friend when she had finished work.
Around 1930hr I rock up with the nutters in tow. As i walk into the Main area of the pub i was greeted with beaming smiles from the staff and was asked how i was, what beautiful dogs i had and where i had been walking. Low and behold the Landlady, 'Anita', of The George has the most adorable 8 Month old Collie who just wanted to play with anyone and anything. She was called Jess. I asked if i could be so rude to use the hose out side to wash the muck off the dogs on the grass in the garden before putting them in car with their dinner. James (Anita's Husband) was more then accommodating with this,
After sorting the dogs out i came back into be offered an array of Ales, locally sourced and British along with local Beer which again is British and free from chemicals and mass production. James who was spending time with me going through all the different ales, beers, and wines; getting me to try the local Sussex Mead (which was very scrummy) and then as i asked about the wines to find out they come from the common wealth and that the sparkling wine only comes from the vineyards less then 2 miles down the road. Talk about supporting the local community what a brilliant pub! I could see straight away that the landlady and lord have there heart and soul into this and that their ethos is to make people happy and rather then choose the easy way, they would rather put the effort in and keep the ethos of a good local British pub.

Now after carefully selecting half a guest ale so I could then go on to try another. I was asked if i was hungry after all the walking with the dogs. I replied with well actually im meeting my friend here shortly. I was shown a few choices of tables as the place was BUZZING with a good atmosphere, people chatting and laughing, Micheal Bubble playing in the background. As i sat and looked through this brilliant menu that i had been told was only put on yesterday from Their new Head Chef, Paul and Simon i think there names where.
On the Menu there is good old English food, Not pub grub, better then that, You could just see from the menu that love, care and thought had gone into making this menu up. By this point my friend was brought over to my table by one of the lovely Staff, I believe his name Was Joe. I had to give him credit and the team as they actually take the time to talk to one another about the tables and what is going on. As my friend said she came to bar to ask if I was here and she told them my name and they said yes he is and took her straight to the table. A CREDIT TO THE STAFF. Her Drinks Order was taken, The Sussex Snog, ooo how very saucy, A few moments later her drink arrived following another menu for her to browse.
After Deciding what we were both going to have, We closed our menus and Anita was bang on it, straight over to take our order, as we laughed and had a jolly good chat we felt welcomed and valued.
My friend had Duck and I had the Lamp Shank. Roughly 20-25 mins later with another guest ale which again was beautiful. You could Really tell the beer was well maintained and no expense spared on the live ales. Our dinner arrived, beautifully presented piping hot and very apparent cooked to order from fresh. No pingdepop used at all to cook any of it! As we tucked in i couldn't fault it one bit. The shank was tender and just falling off the bone and the my friends duck had so much flavor and was so juicy. Not that I'm a snop but i like my food I i couldn't of asked for better!
As we sat in the Right hand side of the pub, where it was very cossy, and pretty, with all little pretty nick nacks it had a real farm house feel to it. Again you could see love and money had been put into the set up! I was told after commenting on it that the theme was to follow through after some sort of Goodwood event. I said i cant wait i will bring my whole family up in that case!
Going back to the service, Anita came back to us and did our check back and all was well.
I feel again this is not what you get in other places, once you establish that common ground with the host, if there is a problem you feel as if you can say if something is wrong with your food where as so many other places you don't get this and its just a mix of staff that float by!
Once dinner was over we were offered an array of sweet and savory, along with dessert wines and liquors.
I opted for Granny's Boozy Trifle and my Friend Had the Local Sussex and Goodwood Cheese board with a glass of port and lemonade.
Again the cheese was just right, not hard like it had just come out the fridge and on the board it also came with a little mini loaf along with the selection of crackers and apple etc. My Trifle came in a Kiln Jar, Clearly hand made and prepared. It was beautiful.
Again another check back on our dessert 10/10 so far. Surely by now we were going to hit an oil slick! Shortly after finishing we were offered coffees etc. I had a latte my friend had an expresso. Lush Coffee, not too bitter or milky.

We asked for the bill around half nine. I was blown away with the cost, Very Very reasonable.

I have never ever been to a 'PUB' that is as lovely as this one. Good on you guys!!!!!!!!
Cant wait to come back! ;-)

Reviewed 28 August 2013

After having two fantastic experiences as echoed by previous reviews we returned to discover the Chef Achim Klein had left and the a new menu would be available from the replacement Chef next Saturday.
So I wouldnt get to enjoy the Fish stew with Scotch bonnet chillies again but was looking forward to the Sole with brown butter and capers, so far so good.
After placing our order we waited 45 mins for starters which were adequate, bread board and mussels that were well presented. Then though a further wait of 35 mins for main. When they finally arrived the Pie was burnt and so hard rendering it inedible. The fish and chips had chunky chips that would challenge the strongest of teeth but then were visibly hollow inside. Sole was very tasty and well cooked but by now the night for Dads birthday (he had the pie) was lost.
After complaining the pie was deducted from the bill and we were offered some free sweets which was a nice gesture but declined as our daughter was tired.
A great shame as a fantastic country pub that ticks all the boxes in every other way.
Hopefully a blip until the new Chef can work from his own menu, however still curious to find where the old Chef has gone for future meals.

1  Thank Bellacucina1
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Visited in Aug.2013 and sat in the restaurant near the bar. Staff where very friendly and gave us plenty of extra time to choose off of the very good menu choice.
Food arrived at a perfect pace and was superb. Some really nice specials to choose from a well.
Very nice evening, would love to return!