“A pretty safe bet for a decent lunch”

Cote Brasserie - Chichester
Ranked #8 of 251 Restaurants in Chichester
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Our inspiration for the food and design of Cote is a modern interpretation of the many famous bistros of Paris. Inspired by new trends, we are dedicated to serving authentic classic brasserie dishes with a modern twist, using high quality produce at great prices. On the menu, guests will always find brasserie favourites on our a la carte menu such as steak frites, moules marinieres, corn-fed chicken from rural Brittany and tuna Nicoise, for dessert, Cote's creme caramel and creme brulee are much-loved house specialities. Seasonality and Cote's commitment to sourcing high-quality ingredients results in a monthly changing specials menu, ensuring there is always something new to delight regular guests and gastronomes alike, as well as the excellent value set menu. Open early every day for breakfast, through to lunch and dinner; Cote's atmosphere is informal and friendly.
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I have eaten at a number of Cote restaurants in other towns and usually left very satisfied with what I have had. As three of us needed lunch before a Theatre Matinée performance we decided to try the Chichester one.

First glance into the restaurant and it appeared that we might be disappointed and it seemed to be nearly full. However there is twice as much room inside as can be seen from outside so there was no problem.

We knew that their £10 lunch (up to 7 pm weekdays) was good value so we opted for that. I was a little disappointed that the dish I would have had was pre-contaminated by spices so I went for the steak plus frites at a £2 supplement. The two ladies with me both had the fish cakes.

Service was good and friendly as had been the welcome when we first entered the restaurant. Ketchup and whole grain mustard were readily provided for my steak and we all enjoyed our main courses. For dessert two of us had the crème caramel and the other person the chocolate pot. I cannot comment on the chocolate but my crème caramel was one of the nicest I have ever tasted with just enough "burnt" flavour to the caramel to offset the sweetness of the pudding. One large bottle of sparking water and two coffees completed the meal. It is worth noting that when I asked if my cappuccino would have chocolate sprinkled on the top I was told 'normally no but we'll do it for you'. Now that IS the type of service I like. Yes, they do add a 12.5% service charge and it isn't that obvious on the bill, but having learned from bitter experience, particularly in the USA, I always check my bills thoroughly.

I would happily go to this restaurant again.

4  Thank DoctorBrian2013

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Have been to Cote a number of times in Horsham and Chichester and never leave disappointed. The food is always delicious, the staff are attentive and the service is always excellent. Paired with a great location and a handsomely decorated space and you have yourself a lovely little restaurant -- Chain or no chain.
Would recommend tenfold. Best dishes are definitely their chicken liver parfait, duck breast and I absolutely love the pork belly. Much better then any other restaurant on South Street.

1  Thank NedSheikh
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

12.5% service charge added to bill, unbelievable! So I pay more for them to bring me wine if I order an expensive bottle, the less I pay for food and wine the less tip I 'have' to give them!
What a fuss they make if you ask for it taken off the bill. I'd rather leave a tip for good service , not have it added on already and then make a big deal when you want it taken off! Beware of the small print at the end of the menu!
Overall food is hit and miss, some days you get lucky some days you don't, I guess it depends who is cooking that day. Due to service charge, we for one will not be going back. Blanc's is better and menu changes monthly, I recommend you go there first.

3  Thank Glide2000
Reviewed 15 June 2014

This chain of eateries never fails to disappoint. Good menu, excellent staff and service, well-placed in central Chichester. As usual, inexpensive food, but superb quality. I had the cod goujons, which really were melt-in-the-mouth.

1  Thank Freda D
Reviewed 14 June 2014

This was my fourth visit to Cote in a year and each time it has varied. The set lunch was excellent value, but on another occasion the duck breast tough and tasteless. This time I ordered the Risotto Verde. It did not resemble a true risotto at all (the Arborio rice should be slightly al dente). This was so overcooked it resembled porridge and was very sloppy. There was no asparagus as listed, and the green beans and peas were raw. I was offered Parmesan cheese, thinking it would be freshly grated onto my meal, but it was a little dish of that horrible dried powdery stuff. A very overpriced meal. Minutes into eating it the waiter asked if all was ok, so I just truthfully told him what I thought. It wasn`t a complaint, just an honest answer to his question. He straight away offered to replace it, but I was past caring. My companion seemed embarrassed and said I was brave to be so honest, but if one is asked how the meal is, why not be truthful? The white wine was good quality, but not chilled enough to my taste. I am not at all happy with the added service charge. The total including service is on the bill in bold type and the true total in small type. If you do not realise that service is automatically added, you assume this is the total. I believe that tipping should be at the customer`s discretion. Having said that, I have always found the waiting staff very attentive and efficient. I would go again as I like the ambience and it is still my favourite restaurant in Chichester. I`d never have their risotto again though.