“Lovely, but take your own food.”

Cass Sculpture Foundation
Ranked #7 of 66 things to do in Chichester
More attraction details
Owner description: Where else in the world can you see over 70 specially commissioned monumental sculptures in an idyllic landscape, and all for sale?
Reviewed 21 August 2014

A really enjoyable day but be warned.
There is no restaurant and only tea/coffee/crisps/flapjacks in the reception area.
It takes a good few hours to look at the exhibits, so take a picnic.
Would have been nice to have seen a vending machine as the place is in the middle of nowhere and if you caught a cab to get there as we did, you won't find food nearby.
Plenty to see that wasn't on the route, extra sculptures etc.
Take a camera, you won't be sorry as lots to see!

All reviews
"art lovers"
"small cinema"
"own pace"

Reviewed 14 August 2014

By any stretch of the imagination this is an eclectic collection of sculptures and installations. Is it all art? That's a moot point, but there should be something that you like. Call me old-fashioned (I qualify for the concessionary price) but I want art to make an impression on me. I want it to inform or entertain, intrigue or amuse. Sadly, my only reaction to well over half these exhibits was indifference.

Still, this is cutting edge stuff, experimental, and I suppose we shouldn't expect to identify with every sculpture or installation. There were half a dozen or so that made my visit worthwhile, but I couldn't help thinking about the Emperor's New Clothes for many of them. I particularly liked Sean Henry's Folly, a play on words: a garden structure, or the folly of expectation? Steven Gregory's cyclists have been there a few years now and still make me smile. And Peter Burke's Host is stunning. All these exhibits are enhanced by their woodland settings, but a giant inflatable pink pig? I don't think so.

This is a pleasant stroll in a very attractive part of Sussex. If you don't go with the expectation of liking everything (that would be Folly) it can be an uplifting experience. But like the exhibits themselves (all for sale) it doesn't come cheap!

Reviewed 10 August 2014

This can be visited in a couple of hours. Or take a picnic and go for the afternoon. Well worth a trip. Located right near Goodwood House. Beautiful woods. Wonderful, diverse and interesting selection of open-air sculptures to feast your eyes on. Village pubs just round the corner. No cafe (at the moment) inside the grounds. But free coffee for visitors. And the staff are all super-friendly and helpful.

A delight.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

A beautiful setting for some astounding and thought provoking sculpture
If you have any interest at all in sculpture then this is a brilliant place to go
A wide diverse range of exhibits that pop up in the clearings
But I do not want to tell you about that.
The woodland setting is inspiring
I will not say too much as you must go and see for yourselves.
As to the general details:- We were really well looked after and the people there were so nice
There is no cafe but there is coffee and biscuits / crisps available at the reception area.
The terrain is a bit rugged there are a range of woodland paths , tarmac and purposely laid bark paths
Some areas are quite steep but there are many ways round so you can take a longer less steep path to get from a – b , but some areas could be hard work for the young or less agile.
We borrowed the motorized buggy which was a god send for my elderly not so fit mother who was able to go from area to area and the just walk the final part to the exhibit.
I personally rate this place 5+star and will bring all my visiting friends
I thank the Cass family for their forethought, dedication & generosity in providing this facility.