“Excellent lunch!”

Cassons Restaurant
Ranked #21 of 238 Restaurants in Chichester
Price range: US$38 - US$62
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The finest food set in charming relaxed surroundings, cooked by award winning Chef Viv. Out of City with plenty of parking.The owners strive to give each guest an unforgettable experience.
Chichester, United Kingdom
“Excellent lunch!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

This was our first visit to Cassons and we were impressed. We had the Spring lunch offer, £17 for two courses, £20 for three, and with a glass of wine included. For starters we chose tempura haddock, wilted spinach with tartare sauce and warm salad of smoked duck with pancetta and wild mushrooms. Impeccable. Our mains were beef bourguignon with potato purée, carrots, broccoli and red wine jus, and hake with spinach, leeks and potato. They were both very good indeed. For pudding we shared a lovely banana ice cream with banana and caramel foam, caramelised banana slices and brandy snap. Light, delicious and fun! So it was an all round great lunch and the service was impeccable too. So, all in all, Cassons is highly recommended.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Louroucal

London, United Kingdom
“Didn't live up to expectations”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

Unfortunately Cassons didn't live up to my expectations. The decor is nice and the staff are friendly, it has a family run feel and certainly isn't stuffy.

There were about 6 main courses; but if you don't like fish, don't want the vegetarian options and are concerned about the ethics if eating fois gras you are limited on your choices.

With only a handful of options you'd have thought the waitress would be able to answer questions about what was in the dishes, but she wasn't. After trying to wing it she had to speak with the chef. Similarly she only had 3 beer options to remember and she could only remember 2.

It seems to me that Cassons pays too much attention to presentation and cooking techniques (they seem to love foams) but not enough attention to the actual flavours.

The suckling pig was bland. It had a couple of pieces of apple and the cider reduction was minimal. The greens looked like an after thought this led to forkful after forkful of fatty pork. Not very enjoyable.

Dessert of 3 sorbets was nice. The flavour intensity of the sorbets varied massively and as I had the strong berry one first the others were difficult to appreciate. The brandy snap was lovely and I would have like more.

Overall £31 is too expensive for the courses I received. Compared to what comme ca was offering at a more central location this doesn't seem value for money. The clientele is mainly older and if reviewers don't travel very far I can see how this can rate highly compared to other local restaurants as there are few who do what Cassons tries to do.

I feel the idea is good but the execution is poor. Also the wallpaper in the toilets is peeling and is in need of decoration.

4 Thank Tri99sy
London, United Kingdom
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

We went here for a celebration lunch and were delighted at the quality of the food, the great service and the relaxed atmosphere.

The choices for each course was excellent (I had scallops followed by a medley of pork) and the pre meal nibbles and bread were all made in house. In addition, and to me this makes the difference, was the effort made for the desserts. Often desserts are an after thought.. not here. I had a delicious blackberry sheet with honeycomb, and the cheese board had a huge range of cheeses (as well as being huge itself). Everything was beautifully presented and flavoursome. At the same time the staff were brilliant, just the right balance of service and discretion making a relaxed and enjoyable meal for all. My daughter was with us and they provided her with half portions of the wonderful fod (rather than a grotty childrens option). The pricing was also I felt really great value considering the quality of the food. Great wines too! Big thumbs up.

1 Thank Fiona_mama
Glasgow
“Very good restaurant near Chichester”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

We visited Chichester for the weekend, staying in the centre of town, Cassons was recommended and did not disappoint. Being just outside of town we needed a taxi to get there and back. The staff greeted us and we were seated in the bar area for pre-dinner drinks and a lovely amuse bouche. The menu is well priced at 3 courses for £39, the quality of the food was very good to excellent; there is a reasonable choice for vegetarians. The wine list was excellent and we had a very nice bottle of white Burgundy at a good price. The staff were attentive and discrete throughout; the ambiance is low-key and romantic and the historic interiors are tastefully decorated. The patron, chef and staff are clearly really in to good food and wine and are committed to creating a good experience for diners. We would definitely go again if in the area and would recommend to anyone visiting looking for a very good meal in a nice venue.

1 Thank thedebonairmsbacall
Chichester, United Kingdom
“Best meal for years!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

I went for lunch with my wife, daughter and grand-daughter. The staff were most friendly and even produced special dishes for my grand-daughter. The food was exquisite and included beautiful seared callops and exquisite foie gras. It was my birthday; they gave me chocolates. There is a well-chosen wine list. Prices are very reasonable indeed. This was the best meal I have had for a considerable time and certainly the best value for money.

1 Thank Stuart T