“Consistently excellent cooking in a lovely thatched cottage.”
Review of Hallidays

Hallidays
Ranked #61 of 256 Restaurants in Chichester
Price range: US$80 - US$80
Cuisines: Mediterranean, British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Felt I had to re-review Hallidays after some mildly negative posts recently. My wife and I eat here perhaps every 6weeks or so and have never had a disappointing meal. The ambience suits us fine (don't come here looking for a buzz, background music etc ) and the staff are friendly and efficient.
Food is consistently good using local, seasonal ingredients. Fish is especially strong. Two nights ago We both had smoked haddock fritters (beautifully light) with herb mayonnaise and a nicely dressed salad then I had breast of guinea fowl with roulade of leg served with perfectly cooked vegetables. My wife had seabass with shrimp. We finished with fine apple tart with vanilla ice cream and rhubarb cake and compote ending with good filter coffee In a generously sized cafitiere.
We drank a very good bottle of NZ pinot noir.
Total bill £108.
Incidentally in the several years we have been coming here unlike some other reviewers we have never smelt damp.
Thoroughly recommended.

2  Thank RHarr

Reviewed 26 February 2014

This restaurant has had various owners way back 40 years or more, dating to the original Hallidays themselves. (My Mum tells me that Princess Margaret, no less, used to dine here!)

The food is unimpeachable. Sunday lunch offered a good choice of three courses at £24, which was decent value for the quality of the food. Cheese souffle was moreish and the sirloin beef had plenty of flavour, however....the ambience is virtually non-existent and it is so quiet in there. I'm not suggesting canned muzak, but the place could do with some investment as per other reviewers' comments to bring it at least into the late 20th century, if not today, as it is over stuffy. As I say, the food's great and staff attentive, but it's just not a very 'warm' place.

4  Thank SweetPeasSouthampton
Reviewed 21 February 2014

We ate at this restaurant for the first time last night. I had heard so many good things about the food that I was looking forward to the experience.. The food was super...I had scallops, monkfish and an apple tart with salted butter caramel ice cream. I enjoyed every mouthful, it was well presented and delicious.

My disappointment came with the place itself. It looked lovely from the outside but on entering the bar area, it looked tired and uninviting and smelt of damp. My first thought was...'this was not what I was expecting' My second thought was...'thank goodness it was only us and I had not taken other people with me'. We were then shown to a small sitting area to look at the menus. This area was far from pleasant and had it not been for the rave reviews about the food, I would have left at that point. The dining room was better but still lacked the little touches that would have made it a more pleasant place to eat. The service was efficient but rather brusque I felt.

I would probably return to enjoy the food but it would not become one of our regular eating places .Enjoying a meal is about so many things...I just wish that the care that had gone in to the food was reflected in the decor..

8  Thank gbjoce1
Reviewed 29 September 2013

I always compare previous reviews with my experience and make comparisons. I have concluded that you can't please everybody and be "all things to all men". With Hallidays I agree with almost all the previous reviews, good and bad. I say almost, because I found the main reason for going to a restaurant, ie the food, was hard if not impossible to criticise.

The food for our visit was very good and good enough to say we would definitely go back. The short fixed cost menu is not the cheapest, but certainly not the most expensive. Especially as you get a proper sized meal, not a token nouveau cuisine taster.

The only thing that lets it down, is as others have noted, the decor is tired, and there is a smell of damp. However the most important aspect for me is that the restaurant lacks atmosphere and the warm ambience which completes the eating out experience. I appreciate the building is very old and as a consequence may suffer with damp, but a dehumidifier, some candles dimmed lighting and flowers would be a good start, at least in the short term.

With comfortable chairs, cloth table cloths and napkins the restaurant doesn't fall in the national chain mould and obviously attracts the more discerning diner, no football shirts and shorts here thank you! (I can't believe I've come a point in life where I think about comfortable chairs!) It may be that many people like the way it is, and I'm wrong, but it might help the owners decided by clicking to say you found this review helpful if you agree.

17  Thank rangehunter
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Atmospheric thatched restaurant in the lovely village of Funtington, a short drive from Chichester. It' s a family run business with excellent food and service. We sat outside on a perfect summer evening with a glass of prosecco while we chose our meal. The starter with prawns, avocado and fresh mango was light and tangy and beautifully presented. The sea bass and scallops to follow were perfectly cooked as was my friend's lamb. A good wine list, reasonably priced, meant the meal was good value. I would definitely recommend this place.

3  Thank visitortothelakes