“A used condom on the floor....By far, the worse place I've ever stayed in!”

Norland Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bradford
Norland Guest House
Ranked #12 of 20 Bradford B&B and Inns
Derby, United Kingdom
“A used condom on the floor....By far, the worse place I've ever stayed in!”
Reviewed 24 February 2013 via mobile

To start with I must say that staff here are very friendly and as much as they can be very accommodating.

My experience here wasn't good and I will never come back again or reccommend to anyone. As soon as I got to the guesthouse I as asked to pay up front and in cash, boss's orders, apparently, which i thought very unusual, therefore I had to go out and find a working cash point near by, ASAP which ended up being a bit of a palarva. Then I was given room 8 to stay which was absolutelely disgustingly filthy. To start with the room was incredibly dark, there's one, and only one, very dark ceiling lamp, the little lamp by the sink does not work and there aren't any bedside lamps which probably is part of the ploy for customers not noticing the surrounding dirtiness. All the surfaces and mirrors in the room were visibly dusty and sticky, both mattresses were old and haggered and not really suitable for a person to lie in, nevermind sleep. Then by absolute sheer coincidence when moving one of the beds closer to a plug I noticed a used condom on the floor between both beds and bits of letters/mail behind the other bed.

I was then moved to room 7 which was slightly better but still at a very poor standard even for the competitive rate per night. Here just like in the previous room there was a very unempleasant stink of tabaco but at least the ashtray was clean (unlike in room 8!!), again the light by the sink didnt work and the room was fairly dark but there was an extra bedside lamp,a very old dirty and slight broken one, the blinders were broken which made me feel vulnerable and in display therefore I had to improvise and put some towels over the window as I didn't dare to ask for another room in case of more surprises.

There are a few positives which are as following: good central heating, working hot tap water and strong wi-fi signal.

Due to work commitments in an area im not that familiarised I stayed over two nights and survived so it is possible to stay here but bear in mind that this is not just a low budget place, but also and much more so, a low standard and very dirty guesthouse.

Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank Sushipando

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2012

Stayed for one night only and based on most of the other reviews I wonder if I stayed in the same place. Bad greeting, "here's your key the room is at the top of the stairs you can't miss it. If there is anything you want knock on this door but don't come in. We have dogs and they aren't very friendly." Single person and the room had both a single and double bed, thats Ok but when I uncovered the single there were "skid marks!!" on the bottom sheet, tried the double and that was better. Couldn't get the shower working in the morning although tried everything I could think of. Breakfast was reasonable though, from full English to continental. I got what I asked for and it was of a reasonable standard

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Bradford hotels

Calderdale
Reviewed 17 July 2012

Outstanding cost guest house!

Stayed in an ordinary room, and loved it.

Friendly staff, nice tucked away area, great area for direct transport to Halifax and Bradford and a supermarket only a minutes walk away.

The food was gorgeous, all homemade!

Would recommend this to anyone!

Cheers,
Ash.

Room Tip: The higher up the building the better, but either way the whole building is quiet due to it's lo...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Ashley G
Reviewed 26 April 2012 via mobile

I stayed at norland guesthouse in Bradford with my girlfriend for our anniversary it had been reccomended by a friend we stayed in a luxury room and for the price it is very much luxury. On arriving at the guesthouse the staff where very welcoming and happy to take care of any of our needs to make the night perfect for us both. We picked the Round room from the pick of luxury rooms and it was a really nice room with comfy beds and we had a very good nights sleep. The food in the morning was really nice whatever I wanted it was not 2 much trouble to get. Would deffinatly reccomend this place great people nice area and good food will be visiting again soon

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank Matthew_Sherbet
Reviewed 15 May 2011

I'd reccomend the Norland Guest House to anybody! On arrival the staff where great, during the stay they were great, the lady that runs the place, isn't stuck up like other Guest Houses, she's there when needed and heck, she's even there in the morning to make sure everything was fine during the night at Breakfast...

The food was delicous, a 'proppa English Breaky' served with a smile to kick start the day! - The evening meal was top-notch, I truley haven't tasted food like this before, topped with a scrumcious pudding, just the perfect touch to an evening!

The House was nice and quiet at night, and it's tucked nicely at the end of a off-street driveway, which meant I could get a full nights un-distrubed sleep, which I haven't for ages!

The staff that run the House from what I understand are a Family, with smiles all round and someone about when you need them! I'd have to mention Lindsey (the owner) & Chris, both who made my stay worthwhile, I'd definatly be coming again soon!

Just to add, they have a selection of new rooms, a Round Room and a Square Room, which look fabulous and a themed Dungeon Room, I've never seen one before but it looks amazing!

I hope whoever else visits the Norland Guest House to have a wondeful stay, which I can garuntee you will!

• Stayed April 2011
4 Thank AshleyGraham
Northern ireland
Reviewed 30 July 2010

I stayed at the Norland Guesthouse in Bradford in july. The rooms were disgusting, didn't look like they were cleaned in months.
One of the nights that i stayed a man entered my room wile i was sleeping, I don't know how he got in as the door was locked.
One of my colleagues came out in lumps which we think was flea bites.
Very creepy place. I will never stay there again.
Needs to be reported to Environmental Health

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank oonagh1983
Morecambe
Reviewed 18 August 2008

This was a lovely big house but was extremely dated and dingy.
The rooms were below standard and smelled of smoke.
We don't even think the room had been properly cleaned before we arrived.
Step up into the bathroom dangerous.
We had an awful even meal.
We decided to book out before we had even stayed the night !!!
Nice people but they really need to do something about their Guest house.

• Liked — The stairway was quite impressive
  • Disliked — Overall quality and decor
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank mango32