“Nice hotel - shame about the upgrade”

Great Victoria Hotel
Ranked #15 of 27 Hotels in Bradford
Bradford, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel - shame about the upgrade”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We stayed her for one night for the Valentines Ball in February. Decided to upgrade to the Fourth Floor and after reading the descriptions of all the rooms picked room 414. The hotel itself is historic and beautiful although it is showing a few signs of wear and tear. I realise that it must be difficult to keep up with all the repairs and I am willing to overlook a bit of shabby if it means keeping the overall character of the building. On checking in we were most disappointed with our room. The website stated room 414 had a king-sized bed however it was only a double. There were no signs of any other luxury items you would normally associate with an upgraded room (or sometimes that even come as standard) - for example shower caps, body lotion, or even a packet of biscuits with the tea-making facilities. The bathroom itself was fabulous however - it was huge, completely tiled with a free standing bath and a walk in shower. However I was not happy with the size of the bed and decided to ring reception to complain. I was stumped however since there was no phone! I don't think I have ever stayed in a hotel room without a phone. So I went down in person and spoke to the receptionist who said she would get someone to come and speak to me. Within minutes a very nice lady arrived and I explained that we had booked the room on the basis that it had a king-sized bed. Long story short - they had no other available rooms with a king-sized bed and both a bath and a shower so could not move us. However they gave us some complimentary wine and a £20 refund on the room to compensate. On to the Valentines Ball itself and I have nothing but praise for the food, staff, DJ - the whole evening was fantastic. Breakfast next morning was as expected. Plenty of choice, nice food well cooked, no complaints whatsoever. A couple more points about the bathroom - there is only a very small heated towel rail to heat the whole room and in February this was not enough. I registered 16 degrees on the thermometer of my travelling clock and this was not warm enough for me. Also when the shower was on it flooded the whole of the bathroom even though I was as quick as I could be when I realised what was happening. Even though we put all the towels on the floor to try and mop it up - it was still like a huge puddle when we left. Overall we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and are talking about going back next year. However we won't bother upgrading this time!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sparklygirl2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Billingham
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Stayed for one night at the weekend. Overall a very good stay. This hotel has great character and the standard of decor in the rooms and public areas is excellent. Plus points were good sized room with very comfy bed. Very nice bar with reasonably priced drinks. Reception staff very pleasant. Free Parking. The hotel is also very close to the town centre, only a 2 minute walk away.

A couple of moans. The plumming is very noisy(but it is an old hotel). Only 5 TV channels avaialble in my room. Apparently if you upgrade to a 4th floor room the TVs have freeview. Just seems odd to have to pay more to get something that should be free.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Cheshire
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Beautiful, historic hotel, the building is very grand yet still cozy. The prices are so reasonable for such a lovley hotel. The building retains many of its original features but with modern bedrooms that bring it up to date. The bar is really nice and we thought the restaurant was very good too. Great location for rail links and very close to many Bradford theatres. Staff were friendly, polite and professional, The Manager we spoke to was very accomodating. All in all we had a very pleasant weekend and hope to return in the future.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2014

We stayed here for our friend's wedding so it was just for one night. The main areas of the hotel are where the money has been spent, very nicely done indeed. The rooms by comparison are less polished - fair size, perfectly clean but a tad rough round the edges in terms of finish and lacking the finesse of the rest of the hotel. That said our room was perfectly adequate for the purpose of our stay.

Our one great disappointment was that breakfast finished at 9am on Monday so we decided to forgo this as it was not exactly what we had in mind - it was a holiday so a bit of a lie in is nice!! I would guess that its maybe more of a business hotel through the week however I think they should bear in mind that guests staying for leisure might prefer a more relaxing start to the day - would it be such a problem to have breakfast finish at 10am as in most other hotels??

One other point to note was that there are venetian blinds in the bedrooms rather than curtains so we woke early as the room was very light.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank natalie r
VictoriaManager, General Manager at Great Victoria Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
I am sorry to read of your dismay regarding breakfast, the normal time of breakfast finishing on a monday is 9:30am mon-fri

Therefore may I apologise for the confusion.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon

Kind regards
Dan Kirkham
Chertsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Whenever we visit Bradford we stay here. The service is always good, the rooms are large with very comfortable beds.
The hotel has some very attractive rooms, which still give a strong reminder of it's Victorian past, but combine swell with more modern touches.
We always find the staff very helpful, plus there is a free car park which is quite unusual for a city centre hotel. This is a good value hotel and I look forward to returning

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank 932HelenC
VictoriaManager, General Manager at Great Victoria Hotel, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Thankyou for your lovely feedback it is always encouraging to read and I look forward too seeing you again soon in Bradford.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Stayed for a valentines weekend in February, in what was supposed to be an upgraded room, we had no benefits which were supposed to he included in our upgrade, and after complaining twice, including to head office I have had nothing in reply.
Just based on the disgusting customer service I wouldn't recommend the hotel chain!

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Flather2014
Dear Ms Flather

I am sorry to read of your comments and am of the understanding now that my hotel administrator has booked you in for a stay on the 10th may 2014.

I look forwarding to welcoming you and hope we as a hotel can change your opinion.

Daniel Kirkham

Travellers are raving about these Bradford hotels

Liverpool
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

Booked this hotel for a friend and I who were in Bradford for a night to watch Swan Lake at the Alhambra. For £50 a room, I'd normally be dubious and go for a standard chain, however I found the grandeur of the building alluring.

The hotel is well located in the City Centre, rooms were large and clean, and decorated in a modern style, the bed was really comfortable, and the for such an old hotel, was really quiet, no creaking floorboards or clanging pipes, and no noise from outside as you would usually get in a City Centre hotel. The receptionist Amani was very friendly and an excellent front of house.

My only criticism is that we ordered a cocktail in the bar, which was probably the most disappointing martini I've ever had, for that you lose one star!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Thankyou for your lovely feedback I will pass this on to my team who are new to the cocktail industry and endeavour to train them further.

Look forward to seeing you soon

General manager