“Amazing hotel”

Ranked #15 of 27 Hotels in Bradford
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“Amazing hotel”
Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights in room 414 , on the 4th floor. The room was really nice and we really enjoyed our stay, so much in fact that we rebooked to stay again as we checked out. The room had everything we needed, a huge walk in shower, free standing bath , free wi fi , tea and coffee making facilities. The staff were very polite and made our stay very enjoyable. We booked for bed breakfast and evening meal, we enjoyed the meals and the service was excellent. The hotel is about 2 minutes walk from the train and bus stations and town centre and about 5 minutes walk across city park to the Alhambra theatre. We enjoyed our stay, will definitely stay again and will recommend the hotel.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TRobbo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Chippenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2014

So I checked in and my room had stains on carpet and a bathroom with stained bath and mould on the silicone bath sealant. Asked for another room which was mildly better, although bathroom still poor, tiny TV and no phone in the room. Went for dinner, choice of just 5 main courses, had a steak which smelt awful. Sent it back and decided to check out. Then they offered me a top floor room to get me to stay, I knew these were nicer so agreed to stay,. The room was tired, smelt of damp, but too fed up to check out so stayed. Unfortunately the buses in the bus station over the road started reversing at 3 am in the morning, reversing lights kept me awake!
To top it all breakfast wasn't ready at 7am, only brought out the hot food at 7.15.
Won't be returning needless to say.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank maginvest

Travellers are raving about these Bradford hotels

Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We stayed her for one night for the Valentines Ball in February. Decided to upgrade to the Fourth Floor and after reading the descriptions of all the rooms picked room 414. The hotel itself is historic and beautiful although it is showing a few signs of wear and tear. I realise that it must be difficult to keep up with all the repairs and I am willing to overlook a bit of shabby if it means keeping the overall character of the building. On checking in we were most disappointed with our room. The website stated room 414 had a king-sized bed however it was only a double. There were no signs of any other luxury items you would normally associate with an upgraded room (or sometimes that even come as standard) - for example shower caps, body lotion, or even a packet of biscuits with the tea-making facilities. The bathroom itself was fabulous however - it was huge, completely tiled with a free standing bath and a walk in shower. However I was not happy with the size of the bed and decided to ring reception to complain. I was stumped however since there was no phone! I don't think I have ever stayed in a hotel room without a phone. So I went down in person and spoke to the receptionist who said she would get someone to come and speak to me. Within minutes a very nice lady arrived and I explained that we had booked the room on the basis that it had a king-sized bed. Long story short - they had no other available rooms with a king-sized bed and both a bath and a shower so could not move us. However they gave us some complimentary wine and a £20 refund on the room to compensate. On to the Valentines Ball itself and I have nothing but praise for the food, staff, DJ - the whole evening was fantastic. Breakfast next morning was as expected. Plenty of choice, nice food well cooked, no complaints whatsoever. A couple more points about the bathroom - there is only a very small heated towel rail to heat the whole room and in February this was not enough. I registered 16 degrees on the thermometer of my travelling clock and this was not warm enough for me. Also when the shower was on it flooded the whole of the bathroom even though I was as quick as I could be when I realised what was happening. Even though we put all the towels on the floor to try and mop it up - it was still like a huge puddle when we left. Overall we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and are talking about going back next year. However we won't bother upgrading this time!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sparklygirl2013
Billingham
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Stayed for one night at the weekend. Overall a very good stay. This hotel has great character and the standard of decor in the rooms and public areas is excellent. Plus points were good sized room with very comfy bed. Very nice bar with reasonably priced drinks. Reception staff very pleasant. Free Parking. The hotel is also very close to the town centre, only a 2 minute walk away.

A couple of moans. The plumming is very noisy(but it is an old hotel). Only 5 TV channels avaialble in my room. Apparently if you upgrade to a 4th floor room the TVs have freeview. Just seems odd to have to pay more to get something that should be free.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Cheshire
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Beautiful, historic hotel, the building is very grand yet still cozy. The prices are so reasonable for such a lovley hotel. The building retains many of its original features but with modern bedrooms that bring it up to date. The bar is really nice and we thought the restaurant was very good too. Great location for rail links and very close to many Bradford theatres. Staff were friendly, polite and professional, The Manager we spoke to was very accomodating. All in all we had a very pleasant weekend and hope to return in the future.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2014

We stayed here for our friend's wedding so it was just for one night. The main areas of the hotel are where the money has been spent, very nicely done indeed. The rooms by comparison are less polished - fair size, perfectly clean but a tad rough round the edges in terms of finish and lacking the finesse of the rest of the hotel. That said our room was perfectly adequate for the purpose of our stay.

Our one great disappointment was that breakfast finished at 9am on Monday so we decided to forgo this as it was not exactly what we had in mind - it was a holiday so a bit of a lie in is nice!! I would guess that its maybe more of a business hotel through the week however I think they should bear in mind that guests staying for leisure might prefer a more relaxing start to the day - would it be such a problem to have breakfast finish at 10am as in most other hotels??

One other point to note was that there are venetian blinds in the bedrooms rather than curtains so we woke early as the room was very light.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank natalie r
VictoriaManager, General Manager at Great Victoria Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
I am sorry to read of your dismay regarding breakfast, the normal time of breakfast finishing on a monday is 9:30am mon-fri

Therefore may I apologise for the confusion.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon

Kind regards
Dan Kirkham
Chertsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Whenever we visit Bradford we stay here. The service is always good, the rooms are large with very comfortable beds.
The hotel has some very attractive rooms, which still give a strong reminder of it's Victorian past, but combine swell with more modern touches.
We always find the staff very helpful, plus there is a free car park which is quite unusual for a city centre hotel. This is a good value hotel and I look forward to returning

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank 932HelenC
VictoriaManager, General Manager at Great Victoria Hotel, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Thankyou for your lovely feedback it is always encouraging to read and I look forward too seeing you again soon in Bradford.

Kind Regards