“OK hotel, shame about the management” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Great Victoria Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Great Victoria Hotel
Ranked #15 of 27 Hotels in Bradford
Norwich, United Kingdom
“OK hotel, shame about the management”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

I've stayed at the Great Victoria several times - it's a nice enough old hotel, most bedrooms need things mended, service is always slow, but not bad value at the price. The most annoying thing is that each time I stay the General Manager (apparently) sends me an email telling me how keen he is to hear my feedback and deal with any issues I might have had - and by the way asking me to write a review on TripAdvisor. Each time I've replied and told him about my issues and asked for his reply, and each time he hasn't replied. So it's hard not to feel that actually they don't care what their customers think. Think I'll try somewhere else next time.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank TullyW

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

stayed one night as part of a murder mystery package. Upgraded and room was lovely, okay for me, but the top rooms where we stayed had only stair access after the 3rd floor, probably not good for people with limited walking abilities. The food was lovely, a lovely breakfast with a good choice of food to please everybody. The staff were mostly friendly and very pleasant. The downstairs public rooms were comfortable and the toilets clean but could do with refurbishing, just paint and flooring but it did spoil the overall luxury look of the hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank amagran
VictoriaManager, General Manager at Great Victoria Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
I would like to thank you for your feedback, I have highlighted the decorative issues to the maintainence team and I must agree with your opinion.

I hope to see you again soon at The Great Victoria

kind regards
Daniel Kirkham
Doncaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights in room 414 , on the 4th floor. The room was really nice and we really enjoyed our stay, so much in fact that we rebooked to stay again as we checked out. The room had everything we needed, a huge walk in shower, free standing bath , free wi fi , tea and coffee making facilities. The staff were very polite and made our stay very enjoyable. We booked for bed breakfast and evening meal, we enjoyed the meals and the service was excellent. The hotel is about 2 minutes walk from the train and bus stations and town centre and about 5 minutes walk across city park to the Alhambra theatre. We enjoyed our stay, will definitely stay again and will recommend the hotel.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TRobbo
Chippenham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

So I checked in and my room had stains on carpet and a bathroom with stained bath and mould on the silicone bath sealant. Asked for another room which was mildly better, although bathroom still poor, tiny TV and no phone in the room. Went for dinner, choice of just 5 main courses, had a steak which smelt awful. Sent it back and decided to check out. Then they offered me a top floor room to get me to stay, I knew these were nicer so agreed to stay,. The room was tired, smelt of damp, but too fed up to check out so stayed. Unfortunately the buses in the bus station over the road started reversing at 3 am in the morning, reversing lights kept me awake!
To top it all breakfast wasn't ready at 7am, only brought out the hot food at 7.15.
Won't be returning needless to say.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank maginvest
Bradford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

We stayed her for one night for the Valentines Ball in February. Decided to upgrade to the Fourth Floor and after reading the descriptions of all the rooms picked room 414. The hotel itself is historic and beautiful although it is showing a few signs of wear and tear. I realise that it must be difficult to keep up with all the repairs and I am willing to overlook a bit of shabby if it means keeping the overall character of the building. On checking in we were most disappointed with our room. The website stated room 414 had a king-sized bed however it was only a double. There were no signs of any other luxury items you would normally associate with an upgraded room (or sometimes that even come as standard) - for example shower caps, body lotion, or even a packet of biscuits with the tea-making facilities. The bathroom itself was fabulous however - it was huge, completely tiled with a free standing bath and a walk in shower. However I was not happy with the size of the bed and decided to ring reception to complain. I was stumped however since there was no phone! I don't think I have ever stayed in a hotel room without a phone. So I went down in person and spoke to the receptionist who said she would get someone to come and speak to me. Within minutes a very nice lady arrived and I explained that we had booked the room on the basis that it had a king-sized bed. Long story short - they had no other available rooms with a king-sized bed and both a bath and a shower so could not move us. However they gave us some complimentary wine and a £20 refund on the room to compensate. On to the Valentines Ball itself and I have nothing but praise for the food, staff, DJ - the whole evening was fantastic. Breakfast next morning was as expected. Plenty of choice, nice food well cooked, no complaints whatsoever. A couple more points about the bathroom - there is only a very small heated towel rail to heat the whole room and in February this was not enough. I registered 16 degrees on the thermometer of my travelling clock and this was not warm enough for me. Also when the shower was on it flooded the whole of the bathroom even though I was as quick as I could be when I realised what was happening. Even though we put all the towels on the floor to try and mop it up - it was still like a huge puddle when we left. Overall we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and are talking about going back next year. However we won't bother upgrading this time!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sparklygirl2013
Billingham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

Stayed for one night at the weekend. Overall a very good stay. This hotel has great character and the standard of decor in the rooms and public areas is excellent. Plus points were good sized room with very comfy bed. Very nice bar with reasonably priced drinks. Reception staff very pleasant. Free Parking. The hotel is also very close to the town centre, only a 2 minute walk away.

A couple of moans. The plumming is very noisy(but it is an old hotel). Only 5 TV channels avaialble in my room. Apparently if you upgrade to a 4th floor room the TVs have freeview. Just seems odd to have to pay more to get something that should be free.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Cheshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

Beautiful, historic hotel, the building is very grand yet still cozy. The prices are so reasonable for such a lovley hotel. The building retains many of its original features but with modern bedrooms that bring it up to date. The bar is really nice and we thought the restaurant was very good too. Great location for rail links and very close to many Bradford theatres. Staff were friendly, polite and professional, The Manager we spoke to was very accomodating. All in all we had a very pleasant weekend and hope to return in the future.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple