“Afternoon tea party for 80th birthday.”

The Great Victoria Hotel
Ranked #15 of 27 Hotels in Bradford
Reviewed 29 May 2014

The wonderful staff at this beautiful hotel made a very special day even more special for my family.
Our host for the day Jade could not have been more helpful, nothing was too much trouble for her.
On the day we were allowed to arrange the room however we wanted to suit our family, the old chesterfield couches were beautiful. The tables were laid beautifully for our lovely afternoon tea. My mum the birthday girl had such a wonderful day surrounded by her family and in opulent surroundings. Thank you Dan and your wonderful team.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
VictoriaManager, General Manager at The Great Victoria Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Dear Jules

I am so pleased your mum had a lovely birthday, it was great to hear that my team were so attentive and I will be sure to feed this back.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

We booked this hotel as we were going to the Alhambra Theater to see War Horse (very good!). The hotel is very conveniently situated for the theaters and City Center and is full of character - not like those modern stale hotels! The staff were very friendly and very helpful and the food was excellent - we were able to have an early meal before the theater.

Dear Sir

I am indeed very pleased to read of your good stay here at The Great Victoria and I look forward to welcoming you on a future leisure break

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed one night and was wondering what it would be like but I need not have worried at all! It has the no.1 location in the city as far as I can tell anyway.

We had a great stay and would happily stay there again. It was a foul day weather wise and when we arrived the reception were quick so that we could get straight to our room to dry off and when we got to our room it was exceptionally warm and inviting and we could hang our things up to dry off and coffee soon warmed us up. This is the sort of service we received the whole stay from friendly professional staff.

The room was generous in proportion and like the rest of the hotel had kept the best victorian features. The bed was very comfy and the pillows let your head melt into them - wonderful!

The bar was pleasant when we returned from the cinema and casino which are only yards away across the car park (well lit and we were absolutely fine). The displays on the walls of old photos of Bradford were entertaining to look at and provokes interesting discussions and we really enjoyed them.

However, the breakfast did not match the rest of our stay and the general concensus of opinion being muttered around the room seemed to agree! I have written separately to the hotel when they asked for feedback regarding this because it would not take much to make it perfectly nice. Hopefully one day I will return and see if it has improved both in quality of the food and service standards and professionalism and most of all in cleanliness at the point of service.By this I mean they used large spoons to dispense things like beans and scrambled eggs but these had been clearly used since the start of service and were so clogged up with globby half dried constantly topped up bean or egg mess that they were actually unusable as a utensil - ready for this - as were the saucers on which they had stood all the time which were both completely covered in said items and it was all congealed and drying up - simply unapetising thats all. When items ran out they were not being replaced - despite staff looking under the hot food lids and seeing that they had run out - there was still almost half the breakfast time remaining. There was little choice of food and no menus or item signs. We said we would walk over to the premier inn next time and have one of the best breakfasts to be had.

There are the film and photography museum and the alhambra theatre only 5 mins walk away and it is adjacent to the travel interchange which can be a big plus when travelling by train or bus with suitcases.

Room Tip: low floor request worked out well for us as the lift (one small lift probably due to nature of victo...

Dear Madame

I am sorry to read that breakfast has let our hotel down, I would like to assure you that since this comment I have addressed improvements at breakfast and have assured that serving implements are regularly replaced for guests.

I hope that you will return soon and let me change your opinion of the breakfast served her at The Great Victoria

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Stayed one night as part of a coach trip. Must admit I was dubious about staying here after reading some of the reviews and on our approach to the hotel looking at the surrounding area I thought those doubts were going to be confirmed ! However, once onside the hotel with its wonderful original chandeliers and beautiful fireplace my doubts began to disappear. Check in was quick and efficient. Had a twin room on the first floor which was absolutely fine although quite warm dont think there was air con. Bed was very comfortable and room was very clean with a good hot powerful shower and TV what more do you need for the one night. Had dinner in the dining room which was such a great setting with the wood panelled walls and huge arch windows. The dinner itself was very nice three courses from a set menu, well cooked and presented. Breakfast a buffet of hot and cold was also really good. The staff were wonderful all really friendly. Would use again if I was in the area. Did not use the bar but the prices looked very reasonable for a hotel bar list.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your great feedback.

I hope to welcome you again on your return visit to Bradford her at The Great Victoria

Reviewed 14 May 2014

A beautiful hotel. Modern comfort with echoes of Victorian elegance. To emphasise, without exaggeration, the amenities offered are superbly supported by the staff who could not do enough to support our needs. They made it a truly memorable stay. As my wife (not known for casual flattery) said, "I didn't know that things could be so perfect". We thoroughly commend this hotel. Only complaint is that the room was a trifle too warm during an unexpectedly very cold night!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear Philip

May I thank you for your excellent feedback and I hope to be welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Stayed here for one night. What a gorgeous hotel! Didn't know what to expect after reading a couple of reviews on here but needed have worried. The staff were nice, the hotel was lovingly refurbished and the room was fantastic. The price too was very good. Would happily return and looking forward to doing so

Room Tip: Asked for a quiet room and were given a lovely room on the first floor overlooking the law courts
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

I am please to read of your excellent feedback and look forwarding too seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

2 night stay for wife and I and 2 children. where do I start.....our room first floor 2 children third floor...really ! .alarm bells are ringing when theres an oil filled heater in your room and yes it was needed. toilet cistern broke and glued together ..wobbly ikea tables and 70s fold away chairs placed in hallways .went for the 2 for 1 cocktails and the guy had to get advice on 2 drinks and still took 15 minutes with the wrong ingredients both drinks in a plain glass suspiciously the same colour. front door to the hotel has water pouring from a broken gutter all day and night.
and the icing on the cake was we asked to check out at 1pm instead of 11 and didn't mind the £20 charge has we had to get ready for a wedding but at 11 were asked by the chambermaid why we still here,,, then explained ..then a phone call from reception to ask why...then a chambermaid sitting outside like some sort of gestapo for the rest of the duration.
complained at checkout and at least were reimbursed the £20 .
this was once a great hotel but a no nails gun and ikea sales furniture doesn't cut it nowadays.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family