“Great stay beautiful hotel”

Great Victoria Hotel
Ranked #14 of 27 Hotels in Bradford
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
“Great stay beautiful hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

Stayed overnight with friends for a catch up and I was very impressed to say the least, the hotel is beautifully done out and the rooms and beds are really comfortable. The service was second to none and nothing was too much trouble, dinner was really good as was breakfast the following morning.All in all a lovely change and far superior to some of the hotel chains and definately worth a visit, very grand and good quality at affordable prices

Room Tip: the 4th floor rooms are magnificent but all are of a very good standard
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
VictoriaManager, General Manager at Great Victoria Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear Sir

Thank you for your great feedback, I look forward too welcoming you back to The Great Victoria very soon.

Dan Kirkham

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

I needed a location close to Bradford Interchange, a comfortable well appointed room & decor I would feel relaxed in. I was not disappointed! The staff were welcoming & knowledgeable, the breakfast was excellent in terms of both quality & choice and the sound insulation in my front facing room was such that sounds from road outside and interchange taxi rank were virtually unnoticeable. The well built, historical building was is good order, although my bathroom, despite being perfectly satisfactory was in need of a little modernisation. However, I would have no hesitation making a return visit and certainly for the casual leisure traveller (who is actually paying for their accomodation!), the Great Victoria offers good value for money.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Dear Sir

May I take this opportunity to thank you for your feedback and I am sure that as we continue our refurbishments the bathrooms will undergo modernisation.

I look forward too seeing you again soon

Dan kirkham
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

My wife and I have just stayed here and had an excellent time, mostly thanks to the wonderful staff and excellent facilities on offer. We decided to upgrade to one of the rooms on the 4th floor, and we certainly were not disappointed, as we were treated to some real luxury! This is our 2nd stay here, and we will certainly be back. Amani and Rob were particularly helpful, as they took time out to really show us the benefits of staying here. Great location too!!! Even the housekeeping staff were cheerful and friendly. All in all, a wonderful time!

Room Tip: Choose any from the 4th floor, although 212 is also very stylish and affordable.
1 Thank jollygirl2014
Dear Sir

May I thank you for your much appreciated feedback, I have passed on your comments to my staff and am pleased that you found the fourth floor to be the asset it really is.

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

The wonderful staff at this beautiful hotel made a very special day even more special for my family.
Our host for the day Jade could not have been more helpful, nothing was too much trouble for her.
On the day we were allowed to arrange the room however we wanted to suit our family, the old chesterfield couches were beautiful. The tables were laid beautifully for our lovely afternoon tea. My mum the birthday girl had such a wonderful day surrounded by her family and in opulent surroundings. Thank you Dan and your wonderful team.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear Jules

I am so pleased your mum had a lovely birthday, it was great to hear that my team were so attentive and I will be sure to feed this back.

Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

We booked this hotel as we were going to the Alhambra Theater to see War Horse (very good!). The hotel is very conveniently situated for the theaters and City Center and is full of character - not like those modern stale hotels! The staff were very friendly and very helpful and the food was excellent - we were able to have an early meal before the theater.

Dear Sir

I am indeed very pleased to read of your good stay here at The Great Victoria and I look forward to welcoming you on a future leisure break

Scarborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed one night and was wondering what it would be like but I need not have worried at all! It has the no.1 location in the city as far as I can tell anyway.

We had a great stay and would happily stay there again. It was a foul day weather wise and when we arrived the reception were quick so that we could get straight to our room to dry off and when we got to our room it was exceptionally warm and inviting and we could hang our things up to dry off and coffee soon warmed us up. This is the sort of service we received the whole stay from friendly professional staff.

The room was generous in proportion and like the rest of the hotel had kept the best victorian features. The bed was very comfy and the pillows let your head melt into them - wonderful!

The bar was pleasant when we returned from the cinema and casino which are only yards away across the car park (well lit and we were absolutely fine). The displays on the walls of old photos of Bradford were entertaining to look at and provokes interesting discussions and we really enjoyed them.

However, the breakfast did not match the rest of our stay and the general concensus of opinion being muttered around the room seemed to agree! I have written separately to the hotel when they asked for feedback regarding this because it would not take much to make it perfectly nice. Hopefully one day I will return and see if it has improved both in quality of the food and service standards and professionalism and most of all in cleanliness at the point of service.By this I mean they used large spoons to dispense things like beans and scrambled eggs but these had been clearly used since the start of service and were so clogged up with globby half dried constantly topped up bean or egg mess that they were actually unusable as a utensil - ready for this - as were the saucers on which they had stood all the time which were both completely covered in said items and it was all congealed and drying up - simply unapetising thats all. When items ran out they were not being replaced - despite staff looking under the hot food lids and seeing that they had run out - there was still almost half the breakfast time remaining. There was little choice of food and no menus or item signs. We said we would walk over to the premier inn next time and have one of the best breakfasts to be had.

There are the film and photography museum and the alhambra theatre only 5 mins walk away and it is adjacent to the travel interchange which can be a big plus when travelling by train or bus with suitcases.

Room Tip: low floor request worked out well for us as the lift (one small lift probably due to nature of victo...
Dear Madame

I am sorry to read that breakfast has let our hotel down, I would like to assure you that since this comment I have addressed improvements at breakfast and have assured that serving implements are regularly replaced for guests.

I hope that you will return soon and let me change your opinion of the breakfast served her at The Great Victoria

london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

Stayed one night as part of a coach trip. Must admit I was dubious about staying here after reading some of the reviews and on our approach to the hotel looking at the surrounding area I thought those doubts were going to be confirmed ! However, once onside the hotel with its wonderful original chandeliers and beautiful fireplace my doubts began to disappear. Check in was quick and efficient. Had a twin room on the first floor which was absolutely fine although quite warm dont think there was air con. Bed was very comfortable and room was very clean with a good hot powerful shower and TV what more do you need for the one night. Had dinner in the dining room which was such a great setting with the wood panelled walls and huge arch windows. The dinner itself was very nice three courses from a set menu, well cooked and presented. Breakfast a buffet of hot and cold was also really good. The staff were wonderful all really friendly. Would use again if I was in the area. Did not use the bar but the prices looked very reasonable for a hotel bar list.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your great feedback.

I hope to welcome you again on your return visit to Bradford her at The Great Victoria