“Nice Hotel - Not Perfect”

The Great Victoria Hotel
Ranked #14 of 27 Hotels in Bradford
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Stayed here for one night while visiting family members, we attended as a couple.
We were given a double room which we paid £47 which we booked through a separate website so we got a deal - looking on the actual website this room should have been £52 however I would not have paid this and would have asked for a different room.
Upon arrival I wanted to pay in cash as I already had the right amount, when I requested this they asked for a £50 deposit, not many people carry that cash.. So I then had to pay on card which I did not want to do but had no choice. It didn't help that the member off staff dealing with us could not speak very good English and both me and my partner struggled to understand him.
When walking to our room we noticed stains all over the carpets in the hallways, large stains that were very visible. We then found our room which at first glance was lovely, a four poster bed, a small TV, a large wardrobe and a lovely little bathroom. On closer inspection the blinds were broken and did not function properly meaning in the morning it struggled to keep light out, windows were not able to open and instead we were provided with a small fan.
I then tried to use the bathroom however when I turned the light on it blew a fuse and none of the lights would work, I went down to reception and after a while trying to explain to the member of staff what had happened he sent somebody up to sort out the problem. After this we went straight to bed which was comfortable however the bedding was very thin and no other blankets were provided.
In the morning however we had a much nicer member of staff to deal with who gave us some good advice on where to eat.
Overall this hotel was OK but I wouldn't pay that much for it again as you get better quality in hotels such as IBIS and Travellodge for a much lower price.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
VictoriaManager, General Manager at The Great Victoria Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2014

I am sorry to read your comments, I can assure you that I will address the issues in your room for future guests and I can only apologise for the techinal phone fault in your room.

The stains on the carpet are infact the lighting shadows, I hope in hindsight you will stay at The Great Victoria again.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Our one night stay was rather disappointing but the assistance given overall by staff, and in particular the sympathetic handling of our complaint by the duty manager at check-out, helped to redeem this hotel. We were booked into a 'luxury' double room on the 4th floor and at first glance the room looked sumptuous - covering a huge area with a four poster bed and large, state of the art bathroom. Sadly, all the attention to detail that one would expect from the 'luxury' description was lacking. The telephone did not work for the duration of our stay and the problem was not rectified, despite returning down the four flights to report it within 10 minutes of arriving - this meant room service/assistance was only available if we went back downstairs to request it; the washbasin had a crack extending across from back to front which had been repaired with an ugly layer of sticky yellow resin; the washbasin taps spewed out bit of metal/stone(?), the walk-in, 'surround shower' was glorious but had side jets which were defunct, the iron didn't work and, despite booking as a couple, we only had a single sachet of coffee,a breakfast tea, Earl Grey and Peppermint tea between us for the duration. Lots of little oversights that reduced our enjoyment and did not meet expectations!
Thankfully the wonderful duty manager who spoke with us on departure restored our faith and we are hoping the hotel will live up to his promise of not disappointing, should we choose to stay again at a future date.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kate F

I hope that we can restore your faith in The Great Victoria and I apologise once again, we will improve on your comments.

Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Had a great stay with coach party elegant hotell staff 10 of 10 overall expierience 11 of 10 sorry to leave so nice well done everyone at the hotell nice freindly smiles and attention from all staff. Pat yourselves on back you deserve it wonderfull thankyou so much fantastic!yours mr peter irvin and mrs linda irvin

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your kind review, I will ensure to pass your comments onto my team.

Look forward too seeing you again soon

Reviewed 9 August 2014

We have just experienced one night and found the hotel to be very comfortable and relaxing.All the staff we met were pleasant and informative. The bedroom was quite specious and clean, (3rd floor).the window had a limited opening but there was a fan available. The inside of the building was impressive in decoration and the breakfast was great fulfilling our expectations.We would certainly book again

Room Tip: 3rd floor on same side as entrance very quiet
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Sir

Thank you for your kind words, I will pass these onto my team

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Me and my wife got married at the Great Victoria Hotel on the 21st June 2014. The staff were absolutely fantastic especially Dan the manager , nothing was too much trouble.

We had many meetings with the hotel prior to the day to make sure it was perfect and they pulled it off.

We had the marriage ceremony in the Carmargue Suite and then the wedding breakfast and evening celebrations in the Velasco Suite and the room transformations were amazing.

If you are looking for a wedding venue of high class then consider the Great Victoria Hotel I'm sure you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Book your wedding they don't disappoint.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
VictoriaManager, General Manager at The Great Victoria Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

I am so pleased you had a lovely day and so grateful; of your comments.

I will pass your encouragement on to my team.

Many thanks for spreading the word and hope to see you again soon

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed here at the start of July 2014 .I booked it 10 months in advance as I was going to see the tour de France in Yorkshire .I booked it because of its close proximity to Bradford Interchange. The hotel itself is situated 20 meters from the station and near the town hall in a fairly decent area of Bradford . The outside of the hotel looks ok and in style with the surrounding area. the room we were given had high ceilings painted patchy white discoloured net curtains and heavy inner curtains . The Tv was an early small flat screen on a wobbly tin table but it seemed to work ok although channels did seem limited for some reason. The room was supposed to be twin beds but turned out to be a double but as they were zip and link we decided it would be ok. Then things went downhill allot. The main hanging light looked as if it was about to fall off , the sink tap wobbled as if it was going to fall off , the bathroom towel radiator had fallen off (I had to prop it up to make it safe) and one of the bed bases made a loud creaking noise when you moved on it .I went to reception and asked to be moved to another room but was told the hotel was full and the best they could do was to offer us a refund and wave us goodbye. I also showed her my booking confirmation which clearly showed a twin room but she said there system has no twin room on it you have to request it on the booking.This was clearly rubbish as I booked through their site and not a 3rd party discount site ect . Anyway as I really wanted to see the Tour leaving was not an option as most hotels were either full or charging a premium as Yorkshire was hosting the Tour De France. I asked if I could be moved the following day and the receptionist said we could . So that 1st night I put the mattress on the floor and slept there.The following day we packed all our things and left them by the door , we went to reception and explained we would be out all day and she said our things would be moved to our new room. When we arrived back early evening the receptionist said she knew nothing about us being moved and we were still listed in our old room. At this point I spoke to the Manager Dan Kirkham. He sorted us another room but when we got to our old room all our luggage had gone .Luckily it had been moved to another room already as promised but the different day staff had not been told.I showed him the faults with our old room and he did genuinely seem concerned about the condition it was in .Anyway he found our room and our luggage and the new room was a twin , it was cleaner and nothing was imminently falling apart although the patchy white walls , poor shower and wobbly TV with 3 channels seemed a recurring feature. So all in all never again really .I really dont know where the great reviews for this hotel came from and as you can tell from all my other review I am honest and fair but If I had to describe the hotel in 3 words they would be ,Tatty ,Tired and Terrible

Dear Sir

I am terribly sorry that despite the room change you still left feeling horrified, may I offer as a good will gesture and hopefully a mind set change, a free upgrade to a fourth floor room if you should wish to stay again upon reflection.

I hope that this will show yourself a standard that The Great Victoria Hotel can offer that is exquisite.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I've stayed here many times in the last 10 years. The positives- staff are always good, helpful and friendly. The hotel is a lovely old railway hotel, very handy for Bradford centre and the 2 railway stations. Unfortunately its now showing its age, not just the fact that its 19th century., but its in desperate need of a makeover. Some public areas a getting pretty grubby, but it must be a nightmare keeping it at 100%. Breakfast was OK, - poached eggs cooked to order, luckily, as the scrambled eggs looked as if they had been sitting for an hour; the sausages were pretty cheap Tesco's best and looked anaemic. The price I payed however was good, and despite some of the problems I'll defo stay again. The place will be lovely when its finished!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

I am terribly sorry to read of your comments, the hotel is always undergoing upgrades due to its age but as I am sure you will appreciate this can be a lengthy process.

I can ensure that staffing restructure, will now provide a much improved breakfast.

I hope to see you again soon