“A grand hotel at a budget price”

Great Victoria Hotel
Ranked #14 of 27 Hotels in Bradford
barrow in furness
“A grand hotel at a budget price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2010

we have just returned from a 1 night stay at the Great Victoria and were very impressed.
The hotel is very grand with wide corridors,chandeliers and elegant public rooms.
We found the staff to be helpful,knowlegible and attentive.
The food was good with a huge breakfast and good value bar meals(try the beef and wine stew).
The rooms are good although a bit on the hot side.
Altogether an elegant hotel at a budget price.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank steve51158

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
virtual
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2010

If you don't stay in the summer, and don't mind items falling off the wall and your tub clogged, then this is the hotel for you! US travellers-- no air conditioning and yes, I know this in the cool UK but this hotel is old and stuffy and 85 degrees in July is 85 degrees and the windows don't open! Stuck shut from years of paint.
My room was a constant stuffy 80-85 degrees, even after I paid more for a room on the "cool" side. You do get a fan that you stick by your head but hey, this is not my idea of comfort and quiet. Room are large but I'd rather for cool in a closet so that I can sleep.
Any other time of year, perhaps a step back in time experience.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Bradford hotels

London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2010

I was quite optimistic when I read the great online sales pitch on this hotel. However it did not live up to my expectations:
1) The first room I was given was freezing cold as the inside of the supposed double glazed door was broken and could not be closed never mind locked. There was also no coffee or enough toilet paper. I asked for a new room.
2) My new room was better or at least I thought so until I tried to get to sleep only to find that neither of the bedside lamps worked (I asked reception if they would kindly replace the bulb but was told that they were too busy as not enough staff on duty - " Receptionist would send someone up before 10pm " but no one ever came!) My room overlooked the local newspaper delivery depot and therefore my whole night's sleep revolved around hearing pallets of papers being loaded / unloaded onto a number of vans / men shouting at one another over the tannoy system and finally the dulcit tones of a bandsaw or some kind of drilling equipment. Finally after alot of tossing and turning (3.30am) I managed to get to sleep. The whole reason for my stay was to be a fresh for a meeting the next day before the long drive back to London - However I think I would have felt better if I'd travelled there and back in one day. I did mention the noise to the receptionist the next day who really wasn't interested. Well " They have a business to run too???!!! " Hmm not quite the customer focused answer I would expect from a hotel employee.
Needless to say I felt " jet lagged " by the time I got home on Tuesday evening. Not an experience that I want to relive!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
Bradford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2009

We attended a surprise birthday party that was being held at the Victoria Hotel, although we live in Bradford we decided to book a room at the Hotel and we were glad we did.
We entered the lobby of the hotel which was very clean and well decorated but still retains its victorian features.
We were greeted with a big smile from the on duty receptionist who was very accomodating and helpfull even though we had arrived an hour early.
We were allocated room 206 on the second floor. We ascended to the second floor via the small but very clean and well decorated lift. On reaching our floor we were very suprised by the very wide corridor which led to our room, you could feel the history of the building as we walked along the corridors, again are very clean and well decorated but retain the original features of the building.
We entered our room which was very clean and was decorated in a modern theme, I was very suprised by the very large on suite bathroom which had a bath and shower combination and again was very clean.
The next morning we entered the impressive dining room for breakfast. The food was good but the scrambled egg was a little burnt I think due to the burner under the serving dish being too hot.
I would recomend a stay at this hotel rather than the featureless modern hotels of the city.
Paul, Bardford.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DingDingBradford
Cleveland u.k
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2009

Stayed for one night on the 21st Nov. What a lovely hotel – we arrived and checked in and went up to the room right away. I was a little disappointed as it was dress for twin beds - Hubby nipped down the stairs and asked if it could be dressed as a double! 5 minutes later the phone in the room rang they where sending staff up to show us a different room and where given a free upgrade to a forth floor suite and oh the bed was huge room smaller but oh so nice (I’ve taken pic’s) the rooms where very warm and cozy.
The food and drinks are very reasonable priced and served very prompted in the R Bar. Breakfast – selection of fresh and dried fruit and fruit salad and yoghurts, good selection of jams/honey and even marmite (mmm) selection of cereal. Only orange or apple juice for the fruit juices. Full fry up also very very good! Now tea and coffee was a different story we had to wait nearly 15 minutes for tea and coffee and toast to be brought and then there was no milk brought we had to go then ask which then took a further 5 minutes (yet it was very busy).

We where attending a doo at the Hilton - I have to say that the Great Victoria is far superior to the standards (food, staffing & general maintenance and décor of rooms) at the Hilton.
I would definitely stay again and recommend it to anyone who was staying at Bradford!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank wink_bink
southampton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2009

I stayed in this hotel for one night on the 28-10-2009. I found the building to be very interesting in its day it must have been wonderful. It still has the oak wood panelling in some of the public rooms.
My room was ok the bed very comfort the bathroom was perfectly adequate with some very nice toiletries.
I had dinner in the hotel which was also good and the staff were expellant my only complaint was that there was a service charge on the meal which in my experience is uncommon. In all a very reasonable hotel but in need of a little love and attention.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank marlowSouthampton
Cumbria UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2009

We were attending a concert at St.Georges so this hotel was an excellent choice for position. The staff were very attentive and helpful, and the place has a nice fee Our room was nicely done out, if slightlyon the cheap The bed was v. comfortabe with good quality linen. Breakfast was good although we missed out on toms/mushrooms.
A good hotel at a reasonable price (69.00 for two b&b)

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple