“Christmas dinner 02/12/2011”

Ranked #2 of 27 Hotels in Bradford
Bradford, United Kingdom
“Christmas dinner 02/12/2011”
Reviewed 3 December 2011

Christmas dinner party Friday night.
Good service, polite and helpful. Greeters on entry who informed where to go and how to get there. Purely personal I would have liked to have been told where lavatories were Food was relatively good for Christmas fare and only comments made by colleagues was too much food.
Several colleagues had difficulty in getting drinks from the adjacent bar. Purely down to volume of individuals requiring drinks and inadequate number of bar staff to cope with demand. Over the years, having been to numerous evening functions at various venues I have found that in terms of drinks I preferred the venues where staff would frequently ask if anyone wished to order drinks.
Overall a relatively good night was had.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this review, 5 December 2011
Dear Mike 26121,
Mike thank you for your review following your attendance at the Christmas Party on Friday, I am very pleased that you found the evening to be overall enjoyable. In regards to the bar service, as guests all tend to arrive at a similar time unfortunately the delay getting drinks can sometimes not be avoided purely down to volume of customers. I hope that you found that this situation eased as the night went on, and I am grateful for your kind comments regarding the quality and quantity of food at the party.

Thank you once again and may I wish you and your family all the very best for the forthcoming festive period.

Kind regards

Gary Peacock

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Polish first
Norwich, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 November 2011

This is a Victorian hotel with many original features in the communal areas, the like of which you rarely see these days. I loved the chandeliers and the luggage ramp. Our room was clean, comfortable and spacious.I found the staff polite, professional and helpful. I really enjoyed my visit and would recommend it.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Dear Hazel W,

Thank you very much indeed for your very positive review following your recent stay with us at the Midland Hotel. It is always rewarding for the Staff and Management when we receive great feedback and I thank you sincerely for having taken the time and trouble in posting your review.

I hope to be of service to you again, but in the meantime may I wish you and all your family the best of seasonal wishes for the forthcoming festive period.

Perth UK
Reviewed 21 November 2011

We were at the hotel over the October holidays. Rooms big enough for the four of us are getting harder to find but we had pleanty of space here even though we had an extra single bed in a room with 2 doubles. The bathroom was spacious with a sepeate shower and bath. Reception were friendly every time we needed them. The light fuse blew one morning but this was dealt with efficiently and was working on our return. When we asked for extra cups (why do hotels make up rooms for 4 and only leave cups for 2?) they were delivered quickly. The wi-fi was free and kept my children quiet without any problems connecting. The room was in need of updating but it appears the hotel is partway through the process. Breakfast was good with generous portions and wide variety, but the dining room was quiet when we were there. My only complaint was that a request for decaf coffee (surely not that unusual these days?) was met with confusion and resulted after a long wait in a pot of hot water with sachets of decaf instant.

Room Tip: Ring to book if like us your part has specific needs (children need seperate beds) as the website ca...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this review, 22 November 2011
Dear Sassilia, thank you very much indeed for your review following your stay with us in October. I am delighted that you had such a favourable impression of the hotel that you have taken the time and trouble to write a review.

I appreciate your comments regarding simple service issues that we should ensure are correct, and I will of course discuss these with my team accordingly. Thank you for highlighting the positive aspects of the Bedroom, WiFI and Breakfast standards, and also a recommendation to telephone the hotel for families with more specific needs; I am sure this will be very useful to other guests.

May I take this opportunity in wishing you and your family best wishes for the forthcoming festive season, and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel before too long.

Ibstock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 November 2011

....and not in a good way!
A dire experience, which started so brightly with a glass of wine at reception, but all downhill from there.
Once in the room, it was dust everywhere, stains on radiators, the whole room just felt dirty, cheap and tacky, with the decor nobody in their right mind would choose.. Tthe wall had pitted marks showing brightly against the blue paint! shabby, shabby, shabby!
Going for dinner was no better, with the hotel closing one bar at 9pm and the grill restaurant deserted and no staff, the only option was the residents bar. The menu was limited and offered nothing fresh nor healthy. I decided on the fish platter (very small piece of haddock, salmon and one scallop all deep fried) against the advice of the barman, who it turned out was proved correct, to say the meal was dire would be overselling it.
After a hopeless nights sleep due to a lumpy mattress and pillows flatter than a witches chest I was going to forego breakfast in an effort to leave as soon as possible, however i was pleasantly surprised by a very nice bacon sandwich and a cup of tea, although it would be some commitment to screw these up!
Give this place a wide berth.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank KJR42
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this review, 10 November 2011
Dear KJR42,

May I thank you sincerely for your candid review, I would like to take this opportunity to apologise most sincerely for you having to have experienced what appears to be a glaring lack of service standards during your recent stay at the Midland Hotel. I will investigate the issues you have brought up immediately with the relevant line Managers and appropriate action will be taken to ensure our standards are not allowed to slip like this again.

In the meantime I can assure you that the lounge menu contains plenty of freshly cooked food from Steaks, to Pasta's and Salads. I am sorry if the on duty barman misled you in anyway regarding your choice of food.

I appreciate the honesty in your review, but however I do regret that my Duty Manager did not have the opportunity to remedy these issues for you during your stay as your comfort and satisfaction is of paramount importance to us at all times.

I would welcome the opportunity in restoring your faith in the Midland Hotel should your business or leisure itinerary bring you back to Bradford; indeed I would be delighted to handle your reservation personally.

Thank you once again, your comments will certainly help us to improve our performance and look at the standards of service and cleanliness.

Best Regards

leeds
Reviewed 6 November 2011

stayed at midland hotel bradford for night incorporating a theatre break.impressive hotel ,very clean,staff helpful and polite.room was beautiful.spacious ,great marble bathroom.comfortable bed.breakfast excellent choice of continental and english.thoroughly recommend,

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this review, 21 November 2011
Dear TezzyLeeds

I would like to thank you most sincerely for your recent review following your overnight stay at the Midland Hotel. I hope that your experience at the theatre was as positive. May I say that it was a pleasure to read such a positive review with a broad analysis of our service and standards.

I hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Best Regards

England
Reviewed 1 November 2011

I have had the recent pleasure of attending several recent events at the Midland Hotel and everyone was a five star experience. The staff are warm, friendly and helpful. The food on all occasions was excellent and the service brilliant. I stayed overnight and the rooms were very clean and comfy. Someone said this is a jewel of a hotel...well said, I echo that sentiment. If you should ever get to meet the manager you will find a charming and delightful man who is very much hands on. No wonder the staff seem so happy>

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this review, 7 November 2011
Dear TrulyJuli,
I am deeply touched by the very kind comments made in your review recently following your stay at the hotel. It is extremely satisfying when our guests notice the commitment from the team at the hotel, and I thank you sincerely for taking the time and trouble to post such kind comments.

I hope to be of service to you again very soon

Kind Regards

Leeds, UK
Reviewed 28 October 2011

The Midland is surely the only place to stay in Bradford. I recently had an overnight stay at the hotel whilst visiting Bradford for the Ways of Looking festival launch weekend.

Having arrived quite late to check in reception staff were incredibly welcoming and arranged for us to have some food despite service being over for the evening. The friendly staff were also fantastic at giving directions as we got slightly lost around the hotels grand rooms and staircases.

We stayed in a basic room that was anything but. The decor was to a high standard, we had comfy beds in our spacious room and the bathroom was fully fitted to a modern style.

This is not a once grand traditional hotel which has fallen to ruin over the years like so many others. The Midland retains its sense of grandeur without being imposing and I would recommend the hotel to anyone visiting West Yorkshire.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this review, 31 October 2011
Dear Hesitant_Flaneuse,
I am responding to your very generous comments made in the review you posted following your recent stay at the Midland Hotel, thank you very much indeed.
It gives my team great satisfaction receiving positive feedback from our guests following a memorable stay, and the time and trouble you have taken in posting this review is very much appreciated. I hope that in this instance you also enjoyed the Ways of Looking exhibition.

Hopefully we can look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel once again very soon. In the meantime thank you once again.