“Are the reviews a bit generous?”
Review of Midland Hotel

Midland Hotel
Ranked #2 of 27 Hotels in Bradford
Shirley, Surrey, UK
“Are the reviews a bit generous?”
Reviewed 27 August 2012

In my opinion to warrant 4+5's out of 5 a hotel has to deliver over and above what you'd expect to be provided for your money. After all you are paying for a service and therefore shouldn't be overly grateful when you get it. Therefore, I conclude that the reviews for this hotel are little on the generous side.

I suspect the executiive rooms, recently refurbished as I understand, would give a better representation of the good side to this hotel. However, we weren't able to book an executive room as the "smoking" rooms are all standard. Our room was basic. Not completely clean with the floorboards collapsed in one section (room 217 if maintenance are reading this). Whilst not shabby the room was a long way from being anything other than average. I do however feel that the price was acceptable.

The restaurant was also okay, nothing more. A limited menu, but probably just enough for most tastes. We were the only 2 people in the restaurant on Saturday night which didn't lend to the atmosphere, but I understand that the hotel was hosting a huge wedding and that's where all the activity was.

On a positive, the staff were without exception pleasant and efficient. The hotel also benfits from a good position if not a good view - from our room anyway. So, I would recommend this as a serviceable hotel and that's about it. Probably worth the upgrade to executive to get a better aspect.

3 Thank Cliff36
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this review, 28 August 2012
Dear Cliff36,
Thank you for your honest appraisal following your stay at the Midland Hotel.
I feel that your review is honest from your perspective from your own experience, and for that I am grateful. Clearly in order to have received a better review and score from yourself we should have afforded you a better quality service and experience and for this I apologise and also regret not having done so. I constantly review our guest comments and strive to improve standards wherever I can to make the guest experience better.

However as reviews as subjective I feel that your questioning of other guests reviews is quite unfair as they have posted reviews following their own personal experience of the hotel. To suggest that your opinion is superior to previous reviewers, in my opinion, is a little condescending.

Gary Peacock

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Polish first
Cumbria
Reviewed 21 August 2012

I stayed two nights in the Midland Hotel Bradford. The entrance foyer to the Hotel is magnificent and one is aware of the History of the Building and its associations with the Railway in the past glory days. The staff were all extremely helpful, the room was a good size and the bathroom was modern and included a spa bath. Breakfast was freshly cooked to order and served by staff who were charming and accomodating. I did however feel that the room on the second floor was scuffed in places and I was disappointed that upon opening the window, the condidtion of the sash window was poor and there was a considerable amount of dust and dirt around the windows and window sills. On the whole though this was a most agreeable stay in a charming building.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank RHBCumbria
Dear RHBCumbria,
Thank you for the review that you posted following your stay with us recently. I am grateful for your honest views regarding the hotels facilities, food and service standards. I appreciate your comments regarding the room on the second floor, and I will have Housekeeping look at the dust issue around the windows. In relation to the sash windows, they will be factored into our on-going refurbishment programme on the second floor. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your recent stay and experience of the Midland Hotel and

I look forward to being of service to you soon.

Many Thanks

Warrington
Reviewed 20 August 2012

This Hotel is a splendid Victorian building built without compromise. It is truly beautiful. There are not many faults but I would say the decor which is beautiful downstairs is badly battered in parts of the corridors. My room was well equipped but again the view into the rather tatty court yard could be improved. The food was a good standard. It needs a little TLC but is a very good place to stay in Bradford

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Dear MDJ63,
Thank you for your most honest appraisal of the hotel following your recent stay. I appreciate your comments regarding the decor and as I’m sure you noticed the company is constantly upgrading areas of the hotel on our journey to make the Midland Hotel one of the regions finest.

It is indeed a beautiful old hotel that has suffered periods of neglect, but we are now well on the way to bringing back superior standards of hotel keeping to the city of Bradford.

I hope to be of service to you once again soon, but in the meantime thank you once again.

Truro, Cornwall
Reviewed 19 August 2012

Due to our son's impending move to Bradford to go to university I have been to the city far more recently than in the last 20 years.

I have found the city a lively and friendly place and I have also stumbled across this gem of a hotel.

My first stay there was with my son when we started the flat hunting marathon. It was great stay (I booked through one of the online search sites). The staff were excellent and I gave them a deserved good review on the booking website.

I was very impressed to get an email of thanks from the General Manager! Not only that but he had done his "homework" well enough to not only know that my son was on his way to uni there but also to offer with local advise etc.

My wife and I were in Bradford again for 3 nights and stayed at the Midland once more and the service reported earlier was not a flash in the pan. EVERY member of staff that we had dealings with were friendly, knowledgeable, helpful and professional.

TIP - the best prices for this hotel are available on their own website. It undercut the so-called specialist hotel websites by over 15% in some cases!

My wife and I have stayed in hotels all over the world and this ranks alongside the best of them - I honestly don't know how they provide such a standard of service, comfort and quality at the price.

The room was truly exceptional with mattresses on the beds good enough to have us wanting to buy the same type for our own beds.

Breakfast was a delight each morning with fabulous food, an enormous choice and supreb and welcoming staff.

We ate at the hotel on two of the three nights we were there (something that we NEVER do normally) but their early bird menu was fantastic value and truly exceptional - it was good enough for us to eat there again the following night - that alone confirms the standard.

I must mention Reception which I praised in my last review - in that review I mentioned the professionalism of all concerned - I hadn't realised until this most recent visit that the young girl who impressed so much last time had only been there a couple of weeks at the time! Recruiting the right people and training them exceptionally well - very impressive.

Lastly a word on the man at the top who took time to meet us after we had exchanged emails. Like his staff he is professional, friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. I can see now where the whole ethos of the place filters down from.

We cannot recommend this hotel highly enough - it has us looking forward to visiting Bradford just for the quality of welcome that we know awaits us.

I feel I've probably warbled on enough for the time being. Should anyone have any questions about the hotel I am sure that Tripadvisor will pass them on to me.

Room Tip: Book via their own website and you stand a chance of getting a free upgrade if they have one availab...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Pippaguesslady
Dear Pippaguesslady
What can I say apart from a very big thank you with all sincerity for your very generous appraisal of the hotel following your recent second visit. It was indeed a real pleasure to have made your acquaintance and to have been of service to you once again.

It is very rewarding for us all when our customers give us such positive feedback and it reinforces our beliefs in the journey that we are on; that is to be recognised as one of the best hotels in the region. I believe that the ethos around first class service starts with staff members who care about the clients they serve and the hotel they work in and I am thankful that I have excellent caring staff.

I am truly grateful that you chose the Midland Hotel initially and have subsequently taken the time to write your reviews. On a personal note I am grateful for your comments and having met me you will know that I am committed and driven to offer a service that perhaps has been lost generically in recent years.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in September; have a safe journey, but in the meantime thank you very much for your review.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2012

Was only here for one night, but the room was great and the staff were very friendly. Plus I got my breakfast delivered to my room for free!

Only downside was the noise from the wedding reception downstairs. Luckily I always bring ear plugs with me when I travel.

Thery don't have a fitness centre, but they do have an agreement with a local gym so guests can use it for free.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Dear Tony L,
Thank you for your very positive review following your recent one night stay with us, I am most grateful.
Your review is very welcomed and is informative also for other travellers, so many thanks for taking the time and trouble in reviewing. I do apologise for you having been allocated a room over the wedding, I will ensure better allocation of rooms next weekend!

I hope to welcome you back tom the hotel at some future date, but in the meantime thank you once again.

Regards

Goole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2012

We were sent to this hotel by the Great Victoria Hotel due to a powercut.
This hotel couldn't be more different. The staff were very friendly and professional. The room was lovely, with 24hr room service available.
The bar stayed open late and the barman went out of his way to be helpful.
Breakfast was served in the beautiful french ballroom and was lovely with lots of choice.
This hotel seems very grand but does have a very relaxed atmosphere.
I would certainly stay here again.

Dear Salmanda,
Thank you for submitting a review following your recent stay with us at the Midland Hotel. We were obviously delighted to be able to come to the rescue and offer alternative accommodation when the power cut hit your original hotel.

Your comments have been very well received by all the staff and management and hopefully we will have the pleasure of your custom sometime in the future.

South Wales
Reviewed 13 August 2012

My partner and I should have been staying at a different hotel in Bradford. We'd got a good deal via Late Rooms and having stayed there before, knew that we would be getting a comfortable and stylish room and a fabulous breakfast for a great price. Unfortunately for us, a power cut meant that we had to be evacuated and we were moved to The Midland.

On first glance, this hotel is fabulous. The public area close to reception, the sweeping staircases complete with Victorian portraits and the decor within the French ballroom (where we had breakfast the following morning) - well, these are all pretty grand. They speak of a time when railway hotels catered for the upper middle classes, providing some glamour and excitement, an escape from the filth and squalor of the industrial society outside the walls.

The staff on reception, having not been given any details about the new arrivals (apart from numbers) were friendly, efficient and unflappable. They were also very smiley and welcoming. All was great so far.

The disappointment came with our room. At the back of the hotel, overlooking the car park (possibly the quieter side, who knows), the room was very dated and quite small. The bed - a double - obviously provided at a time when people were shorter and not as wide - it seemed tiny compared to the one we had left at the other hotel. The decor was, well, difficult to date. 1980s modelled on 1880s perhaps? With flounced curtains, ugly wallpaper and a dado rail, it really wasn't the stylish, cosmopolitan room I had been looking forward to... On the plus side, it was very clean. There was also a very retro ironing board/trouser press combo attached to the wall with a real IRON! I almost wanted to unpack the small suitcase and re-iron things just to try it!

On the downside, for me the bed was too soft and too small. This obviously a subjective thing. Some people like to be stuck against their partner throughout the night. I like a bit of air and space! I did not sleep well.

The bathroom was clean and well appointed. The shower was attached to a mixer tap on the bath and was surprisingly powerful. This would have been great, except for the fact that the change in air pressure generated by this power meant that the shower curtain was sucked against the body and it became a bit of a challenge to get washed and rinsed whilst tangled in plastic.

Breakfast was served in the gorgeous French Ballroom. The ceiling and chandeliers are really something to behold. It really isn't a room for intimate breakfasting though. The tables were for 10 and although covered in crisp white linen, seemed a bit excessive for the small families and the couples who were eating. The buffet style breakfast included some delicious fresh fruits, cereals, pastries (a bit old) and a selection of standard English breakfast items. It was nice, but nothing special. The staff, again were very sweet.

So, would I stay at The Midland again? Probably not. I much prefer the style and sophistication of the original hotel, but am very glad that they were so accommodating.

Room Tip: Ask if there are newly refurbished rooms in the hotel.
1 Thank docphot1966
Dear docphot 1966,
Thank you for your recent review posted after your ‘Evacuation’ to the Midland Hotel. I am really pleased that under such unfortunate circumstances of having to be booked out from another hotel, you were still able to enjoy your weekend at the hotel and in Bradford. I am delighted to have received your very detailed and thorough review covering all aspects of your stay with us.
I am particularly appreciative of your comments regarding the staff and how they reacted to the crisis and acted throughout the weekend with professionalism and friendliness.
Thank you for having taken the time and trouble in writing with your comments; I am most grateful.
Perhaps your may consider staying with us again in the future should the other hotel not meet your requirements.