“Another lovely visit to this hotel.”
Review of Midland Hotel

Midland Hotel
Ranked #3 of 27 Hotels in Bradford
Reviewed 12 February 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a 2 night stay at the Midland. Once again the food and staff were very welcoming. Even offering to send coffee up to our room as soon as we arrived. We had room 114 which was adequate although a little warm, even though radiators off and a humming noise that started around 7am but wasn't a major problem.Last time had room 145 which was much bigger and quieter and should have requested this again. Robes and slippers available in the room. Evening meal was very good with plenty of choice and served efficiently. Breakfasts, plenty of fresh fruit, juices, cheeses, meats, pastries and also cooked breakfasts. Hotel itself was very quiet as there didn't seem to be many guests which was quite surprising as it is by far the best hotel in Bradford. Location is in town centre, with a car park for guests and railway station very close by that takes you to Ilkley, Skipton etc. in a short time. Will definitely be staying at this lovely grand hotel for a third time.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2013

Dear Susan C,

I am delighted to have read you review, particularly as you have been so kind and returned to the hotel for the second time after your first visit last summer. It is essential that we maintain a consistent improvement in the overall service and guest experience, and I am very grateful for your kind feedback. I will look into the maintenance issue regarding the humming noise.

I will ensure that I have the pleasure of meeting you on your next visit to the Midland Hotel. In the meantime may I thank you once again for taking the time and trouble to post such a favourable review.

Warmest Regards

Reviewed 7 February 2013

had a family room which was really big (had 2 double beds) lovely hotel only problem was the room was very hot and couldnt switch the heating off.
breakfast was including which was nice.
location is right in the town centre.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family

Dear Carl0s77

Thank you for your time in reviewing the hotel following your recent visit. Clear concise and please accept my sincere thanks. Apologies in regards to the heating, the old system does take a while to cool down, and as we’ve had such cold weather recently we’ve had to keep the system on and high almost 24 hours a day.

I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 3 February 2013

Just back from a great weekend uni reunion (30 years on!) at this hotel- from start to finish, from booking to checking out, the staff were attentive and friendly. It is right next to Forster Square Station in the city centre so conveniently located. We had an Executive Room- huge room and huge bathroom, both spotless. Value for money too- As we booked four rooms the hotel gave us a good rate, booking directly with the hotel. Sympathetically restored keeping the old station memorabilia etc and large function rooms. My husband said he'd definitely book the Midland if he were to come to the area on business. All our party loved it. The breakfast was included and a wide range of continental/cooked to order and fresh fruit available. We also sat in the cosy bar by the fire on our return from a night out and ate from the bar menu for lunch on Saturday- great value for money. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Moot,
Thank you most sincerely for your very generous appraisal of the hotel following your recent stay.

I appreciate your overview of the hotel and its facilities, we feel very proud and privileged to have such history and tradition in our hotel and throughout the company customer service ethos.

I will pass on your very kind comments to all the staff, who continuously strive for excellence, and they appreciate the recognition of their commitment to the hotel.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel at some future date, but in the meantime thank you very much for your review.

Reviewed 17 January 2013

I came north for work +decided to stay here.

Its a building with lots of character - just look at the restaurant ceiling - wow!

It's a very spacious building +has the usual bars +free parking or literally next door to the station but no noise.

WiFi everywhere +free!

Easy walking distance to shops, museums, pubs etc.

The service is remarkable, with
particular thanks to Rose for excellent customer service +local information :-)

Breakfast a good choice, and lovely salmon++++

Overall nothing at alk to fault!

• Stayed: January 2013

Dear Madkelt,

Thank you for your recent review on the hotel which was all encompassing and extremely complimentary.

I hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel once again very soon.

In the meantime thank you once again

Reviewed 12 January 2013

My husband and I have stayed at The Midland twice before and are planning another trip. For this reason I thought I'd look at reviews.
I would fully support the view that the Midland is an absolute gem and so are its staff.My husband and I frequently visit hotels 'on the spur of moment' and so far this our favourite.
We stayed in one of the suites and think that (comparably) it was good value.......better than the Radisson Edwardian in Manchester which is supposed to be 5*.
Also, try having a look around after bed time. Very spooky...ace.
We look forward to visiting again, infact, I'm off to see if they have 'our room' available now.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2013

Dear ringofid,
I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us Susan, and indeed in the great city of Bradford, and I hope it isn't too long before we can have the pleasure of your company again.

I will certainly pass on your comments to the staff who will collectively wish me to express their appreciation of you having taken the time to write your review.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Midland Hotel very soon

Reviewed 9 January 2013

i stayed in this hotel for one night in January 2013 on business- the web site looked lovely and having heard horror stories about Bradford accommodation this looked very hopeful. The hotel, unless your satnav is better than mine is NOT easy to find- evenually i drove thru a pedestrian area to reach the carpar-it was getting late and i had simply abandoned all hope!. The car park is not particularly well kept or well lit but the entrance to the hotel from the car park is charming- just like an old fashioned Edwardian railway station. The hotel reception staff were warm, welcoming and very sweet. The complimentary glass of wine was a nice touch. room was bland and not well cleaned (this was simply sloppy as the stains around the taps etc were thick and greasy and would definitely have been removable with a little pride, motivation and elbow grease- this was reflected in other areas of the hotel as well- the cobwebs and chewing gum hanging from the light on the 3rd floor by the lift was particularly revolting (i did mention this on check out- so hopefully removed by now). Unfortunatley wifi did not work in my room (always a major prioirty when travelling on business) nor in the restaurant. the staff did organise a key to the business centre for me and particularly beyond the call of duty allowed me to link wirelessly to their phone in the restaurant, they did also offer to change my room- however be warned!
The evening meal (Barnsley chops) was average, although again staff very nice and the discreet areas were welcome as i always feel a little uncomfortable dining alone in a large hotel restaurant.
Breakfast was delicious - and earlier than expected- unfortunately the hotel is very close to a building site and given how empty the hotel was it was a a shame that i was on the side of the building work-as this woke me somewhat prematurely! The waiter originally forgot that i had ordered, then said 'oh yes of course' and then had to come back again and admit he couldn't remember what i had asked for!
Would i stay there again- possibly, although i don't think on this experience it was worth more than an ibis type rate.
The staff though, even when being inept, were absolutely delightful without exception

Room Tip: Ask for one of the refurbished rooms at the front of the hotel- the back is noisy at the moment
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Victoria W

Dear Victoria W,
Thank you for your review and frank appraisal following your recent one night stay. I am truly sorry that you found reasons to mark us down somewhat and rightly so, however being described as Fawlty Towers I believe is a bit strong and unnecessary.

In regards to Satnav and finding the hotel, may I suggest that SatNav companies need to update their systems as the road system has changed 8 years ago in Bradford, and the hotel has been on its current site for 120+ years. I am pleased that found the entrance from the car park interesting; indeed this is a listed feature that draws a lot of attention.

Thank you for your comments regarding the cleanliness which has been taken up with the new Housekeeper. Incidentally what you thought was a piece of gum lodged inside the lampshade in the corridor turned out to be a piece of rolled up paper pressing against the opaque shade. I am grateful that you pointed this out to the Duty Manager as clearly what another guest thought was a good prank, could have been responsible for a fire. The main issue regarding the WiFi not working has been resolved and turned out to be a cable issue liking the ADSL supply to the Access point mounted in the corridor.

Thank you for your honest comments regarding Dinner and Breakfast which are most appreciated.

The construction site next to the hotel grounds has not seen any activity for a good 2 years with recommencement to complete the Westfield Shopping Centre due later this year. I am not certain what disturbed you but it couldn’t have been the construction site.

Having discussed you review with the Duty Manager from the night you stayed, she is upset that she couldn’t do anymore for you in order to satisfy your requests, and certainly the offer to move rooms was given with your comfort and satisfaction in mind.

Thank you once again for your review and your most generous comments regarding the staff.

Reviewed 9 January 2013

Still can't believe how enjoyable our stay was. Room was so large and bathroom with spa bath amazing. Service was as good as if not better then any I have ever had. I felt like I had returned to the Victorian age (with mod cons) the decor and ambiance of the room and all public areas was a treat to see. Breakfast was first class and staff even remembered from one day to the next our drink preferences. In fact every staff member could not have done more for us. We chose to stay in a hotel instead of with family as Bradford Centre made it convenient to visit so many people in a short time. Midland Hotel you did Bradford proud, would stay again tomorrow.

Room Tip: we got a premier room, son and family stayed in a family room which was large and suited their purpo...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Linda843
I would like to take this opportunity in thanking you most sincerely for the very mind comments that you have made within your review of the hotel.

It is very rewarding for us all when our customers give us such positive feedback and it reinforces our beliefs in the journey that we are on; that is to be recognised as one of the best hotels in the region. I believe that the ethos around first class service starts with staff members who care about the clients they serve and the hotel they work in and I am thankful that I have excellent caring staff.

I am truly grateful that you chose the Midland Hotel initially and have subsequently taken the time to write your review. I feel that I must add what a pleasure it is for us all to have been of service to you.

I hope it’s not long before we can welcome you back from Australia to the Midland Hotel.