“Laurel and Hardy eat your heart out”
Review of Midland Hotel

Midland Hotel
Ranked #2 of 27 Hotels in Bradford
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Laurel and Hardy eat your heart out”
Reviewed 2 November 2013

This was my second visit here, the first being five years ago, but sadly there has been a decline. This is where George Formby, Laurel and Hardy, the Beatles and the Rolling Stones have all stayed. This time I took my lady friend and it was generally worthwhile. The down-sides were that it was a mild late summer type of evening and there was tthe heaviest of winter duvets on the bed, also the breakfasts, which last time were special, did hit the mark this time. Their evening meals starting at £22 seemed a bit pricy but don't expect to find any great restaurants outside - there are none. We took the Weatherspoons.

Room Tip: No particular outside distractions - book through outside agency.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Dear Geoff S

May I thank you for taking the time to write this review and also visiting us for the second time.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Should you afford us the pleasure of your company for the third time, housekeeping would be more than happy to select a duvet that best suits your needs. I appreciate we may not get it right, especially in between seasons.

I am sorry you decided not to dine with us on this occasion, as the Table D’hôte menu at £22.95 for three courses is very popular with our guests.

Thank you once again for this review.

Gary Peacock

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Polish first
North England
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Stayed here with my wife for Jan 4th & 5th 2013 using their Gold Ticket offer. Got to be deal of the century.

Glass of wine on checking in, bottle of wine in the room and 3 course dinner bed and breakfast for exceptional price.

Staff were courteous, polite and helpful. Executive bedrooms were fine with lovely bathrooms.

Food in the restaurant was excellent quality with good choices.

The hotel itself is a fantastic example of what can be done with old hertitage buildings. Even walking to reception from the car park is a delightful experience.

(the hotel is I feel slightly let down by the rest of the town, though stating that we have just reserved our Gold Ticket for 1st Week in Jan 2014. We considered going to other hotels in the group but didnt think they would be able to beat the standards at the Midland so we are going back to the Midland, even though the other hotels may be better located. Roll on Jan 3rd & 4th).

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mr_red_dwarf
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Dear mr_red_dwarf

It’s never too late to post a review, especially one as nice as yours. Thank you very much and we look forward to taking good care of you again in January.

We still offer our guests a glass of wine when checking in, which I feel is a nice way of welcoming you to the hotel.

The Midland will be a most welcome break after the rush of Christmas and I hope you find time to relax in front of the open fire.

If you have time, please take a walk over to City Park as it has had a wonderful transformation, also the Christmas tree and lights will still be there.

Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

An interesting looking place. At check in I was offered a free glass of wine, which is a first for a UK hotel. Not sure if this is standard or a promotion. Overall a clean, modern hotel which was good value for money and conveniently located. They have a free car park, which was a saving over other places nearby that required you to park in public parking and pay.

Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Dear 8338

I see you are a senior contributor with 40 reviews, 22 of which are hotels, I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that you posted such a favourable review.

We do offer all our guests a complimentary glass of wine, tea or coffee on checking in, and thank you for your kind comments regarding this service. It is also our pleasure to offer our guests free parking.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Midland at some point in the future.

Coventry
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Stayed here for two nights on business trip, it was mid week, found the place has very little going on during the week, as a matter of fact I was going to go to the pub attached but it was shut. I stayed in an executive double room, I don't really know what you get over and above a normal standard room, but the room was comfortable, smallish tv in corner, that was poorly positioned as it was right next to a mirror, kept looking towards the mirror as the picture was reflecting in to it.

Can highly recommend the bathroom, the shower was excellent a real power shower.

On the first night I went and has the fixed menu in the grill restaurant, cannot recommend this as was rather disappointed with the food, the waitress was very good and nice, but the food was not up to the mark, so suggest looking elsewhere to eat.

Would I return I think probably not.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this review, 24 October 2013

Dear NPH999

Thank you for your review, which I gratefully accept as a means of improving our performance. Without genuine client feedback we can’t hope to make improvements for the future.
I appreciate your concise review of the hotel bedroom, and I will take on board your views regarding the TV positioning and perhaps look at an adjustable bracket, as we have in most of the other rooms.

I am sorry you were disappointed with your food, but make no comment whether it was choice, quality or value for price which was the issue. I will investigate the night that you were in the hotel and look at the menu, which ordinarily at £22.95 is seen as great value for a 3 course menu. I am genuinely sorry that you did not enjoy the experience. The Midland Bar/Pub stays open until there are no customers, which on the odd occasion means it closes early. During evenings with live screened football matches, the bar stays open all evening. I hope you visited our Foyer Bar which is situated next to reception and many of our guests enjoy their evenings relaxing and socialising in there.

In conclusion thank you most sincerely for your candid review and please rest assured that I have taken your comments most seriously with a view to the constant improvement of the facilities and service that we offer our guests.

Warm regards

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 October 2013

We stayed one night here to attend a function. We were given a complimentary room upgrade, which meant we had a huge room with a huge bathroom. Everything was very comfortable - even the bed, and I'm not one to find most hotel beds comfortable! Separate bath and shower, everything working well, nice toiletries. No full length mirror though, which when you're attending a function is definitely needed.

The food at the function was good. Breakfast was good, with plenty of choice and attentive service. We liked this hotel and would definitely stay there again if in Bradford. As we left we noticed that the one lift had stuck with people in it, meaning we had to carry our bags down the stairs. Wonder if this happens often...

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Dear Kate F

I am really grateful you have taken the time to write and post this most pleasing review. We very much enjoy reading our guest experiences whilst staying with us, I also think it’s a great way for other Tripadvisor users to choose the right hotel for their needs, both business or pleasure.

I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and we took good care of you. I do apologise you had to carry your bags, as we very rarely have any problems with the lift.

I would be a pleasure to welcome you back to the Midland at some point in the future.

Bradford, West Yorkshire
Reviewed 19 October 2013 via mobile

Visited grill restaurant for a family birthday on a Saturday night. There were only two other people in there at the time so that wasn't a good sign. From the website it looked good. However, the food was overpriced and poor quality. To pay £12 for fish and chips when they have obviously come out of the freezer is basically a rip off. The chips were certainly not home made and were just like I buy from Morrisons from the freezer aisle! I asked the waitress if they were frozen and she said she didn't know which is hard to believe. Overall, the waiting staff were good but had very little to do as no one else came in all night. It was a big disappointment as I'd had some lovely bar lunches in the hotel in the past and expected more. It seems the restaurant is low priority for the hotel while they concentrate on big events and room bookings. What a missed opportunity though. Won't be going back.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank jmf2106
Dear jmf2106

I am very sorry you didn't enjoy your meal with us on your recent visit to our restaurant. Please would you accept my sincere apologies. The restaurant staff would have been more than happy to change any dish that didn’t meet our guest’s expectation level. Furthermore then hotel duty manager is always on call to assist any guest within the hotel and restaurant should anyone wish to register an immediate complaint or want issues dealt with. The Fish and Chips should be with hand cut chips, and I am sorry that on this occasion it would appear that the chef on Duty did not supply this. I will of course investigate and discuss this with the Head Chef.

I would like to assure you all our guests are equally important to the hotel, no matter the size of party. I do apologise if you felt this was not the case on this occasion.

Thank you for having taken the time and trouble to have written your review, your comments have been most useful.

Wisbech, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2013

I have been staying at the hotel during the week for the past 4 weeks on business.

It had been recommended to me by other colleagues who also stay here on a regular basis and they're not wrong! What a nice place to be!

As you walk in from the car park through an area that mirrors an old fashioned railway concourse it gives you a taste of the classically styled elegance of the public areas of the hotel.

The entrance lobby is grand and welcoming. The check in process has always been smooth and professional and although I don't drink, being offered a glass of wine on check-in is a very nice touch.

The rooms I have staying in so far have ranged from small (but perfectly adequate for the business traveller) to very large and grand.

The key factor here regarding the rooms is that despite the differences in style dependant on the room they are consistently clean and in good working order. The bathrooms are nicely styled with power showers and good quality complimentary toiletries.

As yet I've not eaten in the restaurant so cannot comment on it but I have had room service numerous times and each time the food has arrived quickly, exactly as ordered and tasted delicious.

In summary then this is a fantastically grand place to stay with the quality of service, staff and food to match.

My only suggestion to improve on an already top quality establishment would be to perhaps turn the heating down in the public areas a bit as it's too hot for me (but I do feel the heat more than most).

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this review, 18 October 2013
Dear prelliott6277

Wow! I can’t think of anything else to start this reply with, how very kind of you to take the time to put such a kind and detailed review on Tripadvisor.

May I thank you for staying with us at the Midland for 4 weeks. I would also like to thank your colleague recommending our hotel to you. It really is important to my team and myself to make sure our guests are taken good care of when they are visiting or staying with us at the hotel, so as you can imagine I will get a lot of pleasure in passing on your comments to my team.

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Midland at some point in the future