Midland Hotel
US$62
Hotels.com
US$66
Travelocity
Ibis Bradford Shipley(Shipley)(Great Value!)
US$62
US$50
US$47
US$91
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewspeel hotelscomplimentary glass of wineold railwaycar parkgrand staircaseshopping centreoriginal featureslovely hotellarge bathroomforster square stationafternoon teapublic roomspower showerbeautiful buildingtrain stationcentral bradfordbreakfast service
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Lovely old fashioned style with a lot of history within the walls, in need of a little refurbishment here and there but an enjoyable experience never the less. I would bring a few extra pennies as the bar is very expensive cost 16 pound for four small drinks, but other than that I have little bad things to say.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

Dear Dominic T

I am glad you had an enjoyable experience here at the Midland Hotel recently.

The hotel has undergone major refurbishment over the last few years and there are some amazing areas of historical interest also as you point out. In regards to drinks prices the main guest bar is cheaper than the more nationally known chains deliberately, and obviously the prices are determined by the choice of drink and I as I am unaware of your order I am unfortunately unable to comment any further.

I am pleased that you took the time and trouble to write your review; many thanks indeed.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

Lovely old hotel with real charm and character. We attended a wedding here. The function rooms and bar are great. The rooms are a bit tired which is why the 3 star rating. Breakfast was lovely. Just a small point but most of the staff are not English. They tended to chat between themselves in their own language while serving customers. This is not great customer service.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear AnotherTerasa

Thank you for your review, it is important for me to receive guest feedback. Most of our rooms have had or are having an upgrading and we’ve been refurbishing the hotel from a very low standard for a number of years. Should you afford us the pleasure of your custom again you will be able to see, perhaps, some of our newer Executive rooms.

I am glad you found the hotel charming and with character and I do hope you enjoyed the wedding you attended.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Reviewed 21 November 2013

We booked the “weekend romantic break”, which included a bottle of champagne, strawberries and evening meal, rather than two nights’ B&B as it was actually significantly cheaper. When we arrived, we found the room we were booked into (146) faced the street, despite having asked for a quiet room at the back. The alternative we were offered (136) was a lot smaller, had a much smaller bed, and a much inferior bathroom, so we stuck with the original choice.

Dinner was dreadful. There were many clues - at 8pm on a Friday night there was one other couple in the huge restaurant, there was a large TV screen in the corner (thankfully not switched on!) and almost all the tables were set for breakfast.

Things started badly when my wife found quite a large piece of cling-film in her mackerel roulade. She left the rest.

For the main course, my wife had roast chicken with mushroom gnocchi – a giant bowl of gnocchi, swimming in sauce, with a piece of roast chicken plonked on top. My pan fired chicken with ratatouille and baby basil jus was worse – see the picture. The ‘ratatouille’ was clearly made from vegetables, but there was no way of knowing what. The so-called jus was like gravy and the large amount of oil in it was already separating out – see picture again - and it was just poured over the top of the ratatouille!

Presentation 0/10, taste 2/10. Undoubtedly the worst presented meal I have been served in years.

The website says “Head Chef … provides a superb menu of contemporary British cuisine served with flair and imagination”. Sorry – not so last Friday night.

We left almost everything. When queried by the staff (who I have to say were very good and very concerned that we were unhappy) they offered to replace it all or give us a bottle of wine – but frankly we just didn’t want any more of that standard of food. When we commented to the restaurant manager about the place being so empty, he said he thought it was because the locals just didn’t know they were there, and that they needed to advertise more. Personally I think it was more likely to be because they got zero repeat business, and the large number of excellent ethnic restaurants in Bradford.

Breakfast, in contrast, was very good.

The website advertises WiFi in Executive bedrooms. The WiFi signal was totally undetectable in room 146 (on 2 different devices).

In summary; OK value for money; they have no idea what a romantic break SHOULD be like; nice staff; good breakfast; convenient on-site parking; dine somewhere else.

Oh yes, I almost forgot – I see that the management reply to every single review, positive or negative. Please, please – just this once – don’t.

In my personal experience (I stay at many more hotels than I review here) this only happens in hotels that, coincidentally, I have rated poorly. I would rather they focus on the issues that guests raise rather than praising us publicly - it doesn’t make us feel any better to be told we are wonderful by a hotel manager. I would rather the management just quietly took comments (positive and negative) on board and used their time to address issues and improve the guest experience rather than spending hours composing Tripadvisor replies. Just my experience and opinion – others may well disagree ... especially the management :)

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank UK-EastAngle
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2013

Dear UK-CB4

I will comply with your wishes.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

The Victorian showpiece hotel of the Midland Railway Company and it is gloriously over-the-top with sweeping staircases, grand ballrooms etc. It seems to have been completely renovated in the past couple of years and has all modern conveniences alongside its old-style charm. We had a lovely couple of days here and ate splendidly in the Grill Room restaurant. Staff were relaxed but attentive.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

Dear Mirrirman

How very kind of you to put this generous review on Tripadvisor. I am so glad you and your family had such a nice experience whilst staying with us here at the Midland, my team will be equally pleased when I pass on your kind comments.

The Midland Hotel is a pleasure to work in and it’s very nice when we have guests from abroad who can enjoy this very charming Victorian building.

On a lighter note (hopefully) I do hope the weather was kind to you.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

First the good things - friendly staff for whom nothing was too much trouble, the restauarant served up a delicious breakfast and the hotel's interiors are spectacular. The room was spacious, clean and well appointed.

What needs addressing - the bed was uncomfortable, being too soft but that may be a question of preference. The bathroom shower head could not be adjusted readily for flow or temperature.

But I would definitely return

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

Dear Richard W

Thank you for taking time to write this review, it is nice when guests staying with us on business take the time to post reviews. I can appreciate you are extremely busy, but it’s nice for the hotel to get feedback and important to Tripadvisor users to choose the right hotel for their needs.

I am sorry you found your bed too soft, we do try to get comfort rating medium, I will personally take a look at the bed and the shower today.

May I thank you for your comments regarding my team, they work very hard and I look forward to discussing your review with them.