“Lovely Old World Hotel with Unbeatable Friendly Service”
Review of Midland Hotel

Midland Hotel
Ranked #3 of 27 Hotels in Bradford
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely Old World Hotel with Unbeatable Friendly Service”
Reviewed 21 December 2013

This is a lovely old world hotel in west Yorkshire – Bradford.
I have stayed here on two occasions for business purposes and in total 8 nights in three bedrooms.
Whilst there are a number of things, which are, not perfect about this hotel mainly the noise at night (probably because of Christmas Parties and overheated bedrooms) my overall experience was very good. This was primarily due to the very helpful staff that went the extra mile to make me feel at home and their speedy response to any of the issues I raised. In particular the breakfast proved to be one of the highlights of the day accompanied by some of the most helpful hotel staff I have ever come across. Dinner at the restaurant or in the inner bar area was fairly good for a hotel of this standard but it was the staff who made it. In particular I would like to thank Adele and Matteo for their wonderful customer service.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room with a fridge. (Not all rooms come with a fridge)
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this review, 24 December 2013
Dear ChanelleW

It was a pleasure to take care of you on your recent stay with us here at the Midland Hotel in Bradford.

Your comments in all areas of the hotel are most generous and I really can’t wait to pass them on to my hard working team. I will especially make a point of talking to Matteo and Adele.

May I take this opportunity to wish you a very happy Christmas and a prosperous New Year.

Gary Peacock

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Polish first
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Stayed here a few times before and it is always a comfortable stay. There are hints of what the hotel must have been like in the past, large rooms, high ceilings and wide corridors. Room was well equipped and well decorated. Bathroom was modern and looked like it had been renovated recently. Rooms were very clean with tea making and ironing equipment included. Would have like to have seen a small safe in the room. Found myself sleeping above a Christmas party but the staff moved me to another room without any fuss. Reception staff were friendly and efficient. breakfast was good and the breakfast was cooked for me. Made it a little slower to get the food but it tasted better - none of that rubbery bacon and egg after being left under heating lamps for a long time.

Would recommend the hotel to people visiting Bradford. Central and convenient for the city centre.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Dear RiemannZero

Thank you for returning to the Midland, and many thanks for your review. You are correct in thinking the hotel has had quite a lot of renovation over the last few years.

It was a pleasure to take care of you and no trouble at all to change your room for you.
I will pass your kind comments on to my team.

May I take this opportunity to wish you are very happy Christmas.

Keighley
Reviewed 20 December 2013 via mobile

Weht to hotel end of November for works do.Stopped over.Hotel is spectacular. Room prices are reasonable for a very nice room.Staff are pleasent and efficient, had a problem with kettle new one at the door within 5 mins.
Only let down is the price of drinks abd their ability to serve it.Would I go again....Yes but with a bottle in rhe wfes handbag.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Michalean

Thank you for reviewing the Midland Hotel on Tripadvisor, and I see you are a senior contributor.

I am glad you were taken good care of, and you found the hotel spectacular,

Regarding the drink prices, if you compare other hotels with the same standing, you would see we are very similar if not a little cheaper

May I wish you a very happy Christmas.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 December 2013

The hotel is full of old world charm. The room was clean and comfortable.
The only drawback is that the heating system was a little noisy at night.
The hotel itself is central for the town centre amenities and access to most routes.
The staff were polite and helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for a superior room as the standard room decor is a little gaudy.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Dear Eric O

I am so glad you found the Midland Hotel charming, I am lucky enough to spend most days here it really is a beautiful Victorian building.

Our heating system is maintained regularly, please would you accept my apologies that on this occasion it was a little noisy.

Thank you for taking time to post this review on Tripadvisor, and I would like to wish you a very happy Christmas.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 December 2013

I've stayed here 3 or 4 times over the last 5 years and the best thing about the hotel is the delightful reception staff and the reception area itself. Then it goes downhill... The rooms are badly needing refurbishment and it's not unusual to find faults - light bulbs out, old TV sets with loud humming, distinct lack of hoovering of armchair seat edges and on one occasion a missing (internal) window slide. I always give hotels the opportunity to replace/ fix things but none of the above were sorted during any of my stays and more importantly no-one contacted me to discuss solutions. The breakfasts are good but the staff in the restaurant seem (generally) to be from the less friendly pool of hotel staff. Very close to city centre and one station but unless you're stuck I'd give it a miss until someone improves service and room standards.

Cramlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 December 2013 via mobile

From Rachel,Katie, and Joanne at reception to the General Manager Mr Peacock the service and the welcome make you feel part of the Midland family, this is the best hotel in town. The food is expertly cooked and served whether in the restaurant or room service or at the Christmas party. The rooms are spacious and welcoming . Give it a try for your self well done I will be back soon I hope.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Gweneth I
Dear Gwneth I

Thank you so very much for this most generous review, we take a lot of pride in working here at the Midland, and I very much appreciate your feedback as do my hard working team.

May I also thank you for recommending the hotel so highly to other Tripadvisor users.

My team and myself look forward to welcoming you back at some point in the future.
We would also like to wish you a very happy Christmas and a prosperous new year.

Ballyclare, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Stayed last week for graduation ceremony - staff were so friendly and helpful. We stayed in the disabled room and it was great for my husband's issues. We needed a fridge and the one in the bedroom wasn't working within 10 minutes the lovely lady on reception was standing at the door with another fridge!! My daughter and her boyfriend were upgraded to a four poster room and were absolutely delighted. Couldn't recommend the hotel enough

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Heather W
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
Dear Heather W

How very kind of you to post this review. I am glad you had such a nice time, both here at the hotel and also the graduation ceremony.

We will always do our very best to make our guests have comfortable and relaxing experience, your review suggests we were successful in doing so. I am looking forward to passing your comments on to my team
I would also like thank you for recommending the Midland Hotel to other Tripadvisor users.

May I wish you and your family a very happy Christmas.