“Perfunctory, but fine.”
Review of Midland Hotel

Midland Hotel
Ranked #2 of 27 Hotels in Bradford
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Stayed here for one night whilst on business. Would I stay again, yes, but I'd also look around for something else if I was booking it.

Hotel was fine, staff friendly enough.

Room was clean, although decor a little colourful and gaudy. It is the type of place you only stay one night if passing through the city on business.

Breakfast was fine, usual fare on the menu. Although by the time I got to breakfast the buffet bar section had been picked clean, and not a lot was left. But service and food was fine.

Decent place for short business trip.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Dear J H

Thank you for posting your review on Tripadvisor, I really do appreciate your feedback. I will be sharing your comments with my team, and it seems from the general comments that we need to up our game a little.

I am glad that you would choose to stay with us again. I'm sorry that on this occasion the breakfast buffet seemed depleted when you came into the Restaurant although I am certain that this would have been replenished shortly after. I will talk with our breakfast supervisor about the timings of the top up of the buffet display.

It would be a pleasure to welcome back to The Midland Hotel at some point in the future.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Stayed here on a Saturday night for a surprise birthday party booked in their restaurant. Arrived to be greeted very warmly by the staff who were all aware of the surprise birthday celebration. Given an excellent room on the second floor. Marble bathroom, very comfortable bed, clean and quiet. We spoke to the manageress in the restaurant about the surprise celebrations and she couldn't have been more helpful. The staff organised a cake table and kept the food and wine flowing throughout dinner. Other guests who weren't staying at the hotel were also able to use the residents car parking. Excellent friendly and considerate service all round. Most definitely recommended :-)

Room Tip: Current building work nearby means some roads are closed so best to phone the hotel for the best way...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Dear Lynda W

Firstly may I thank you for this most generous review, I will of course enjoy sharing it with my team. I am also thrilled the birthday surprise was a success, and I thank you for letting us be part of it.

As you rightly said there was a problem in accessing our car park, this was due to gas pipes needed for the new Westfield shopping centre. This has now been completed and guests can access the car park without a problem.

May I also thank you for recommend the Midland Hotel to other Tripadvisor users. It is very kind of you, and I really do appreciate your time.

I do hope we have the pleasure of your company again, at some point in the future.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

I arrived on Friday evening after a 'bit of a working week' and was immediately plunged into an atmosphere of calm, delightful luxury. The welcoming receptionist was so helpful, polite and welcoming that I could feel the stress of the day start to slip away immediately. My room was large, comfortable and immaculate.. the bed so big and comfy that it was a wrench to leave and continue with my plans for the rest of the evening..
Breakfast in the morning was splendid.. the waitress was incredibly helpful and the whole experience from check in to check out was a complete delight..

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear spacehelen

Thank you very much for posting this exceptional review. I will find out who checked you in and thank them for taking good such good care of you. I will also share your kind comments with my team.

I enjoy any feedback, but must admit your review was a pleasure to read. I do hope you are able to return to the Midland Hotel sometime soon, and let us have the pleasure of taking good care of you once again.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Stayed here with my wife to celebrate our wedding anniversary and watch 'War Horse' at the Bradford Alhambra. Turned up over 2 hours early simply in the hope of using the car park, reception staff gave us the room without us asking for it and made it clear that our happiness whilst being their guests was of paramount importance to them. When we got to the room it was superb, spotlessly clean, luxurious and with complimentary Belgian chocolates and card, bathrobe/slippers(I had mentioned it was our anniversary when booking). Due to the length of the show we arrived back at the hotel after the main kitchen had closed so ordered room service from the 24hr menu. Only expecting to get a run of the mill sandwiches, within 15 minutes we were delivered two superb sandwiches with tasty wedges and a great salad. Again the staff member was friendly and keen for us to enjoy our stay. Wanting to milk our stay and experience of this great hotel we opted for cooked breakfasts to be sent to our rooms. Once again super friendly staff delivered, bang on time and everything exactly as requested. I can say with all honesty the only negative experience during our stay at the 'Midland Hotel' was when we had to hand back the keys and checkout! True to form this was done friendly and in a way that makes the customer feel special which is honestly what everyone wants when paying for accommodation. Due to my work I've stayed in hundreds of hotels all around the world, I just wish a few more of them could have been like this one.

1  Thank Steve A

Dear Steve A

I can't thank you enough for this amazing review! It really does appear you have had a super anniversary, and I am thrilled you allowed us to be part of it.

I can not wait to share this review with my hard working team, I am sure they will be just as thrilled as I am. I agree with your comment regarding guests wanting feel special, customer service should be second to none, and we want all of our guests to know how important they are to us here at the Midland Hotel Bradford.

It would be an absolute pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel at some point in the future.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

We had lunch on the occasion of my mothers birthday at the Midland Hotel restaurant and found the whole experience absolutely wonderful.
The food, silver service and the value for money is excellent and I would recommend this restaurant to all.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear Leslie h

May I start by thanking you for this most generous review, and more importantly I am thrilled your mother enjoyed her birthday lunch.

I am pleased we took good care of you, and I look forward to sharing your comments with my team.

I also appreciate you recommending our restaurant to other Tripadvisor users, many thanks

Reviewed 14 May 2014

We had originally booked a different hotel,however due to lack of space we were first moved to a hotel that was not suitable for my disabled wife, then to the Midland hotel.

We were greeted with bubbly at check-in, and shown to a room that can only be described as spectacular. The staff here are the most attentive, friendly and professional employees I have seen in a long time. Nothing was too much trouble for them, and we felt like we were the only guests staying, in spite of a large and glorious wedding and a school reunion taking place over the same weekend. The staff really are never too busy to stop and ask how you are or if you need anything. The training methods they use should be an industry standard.

The food is amazing, we received a gluten-free breakfast in bed at 9am, this came as a surprise as we had only informed the reception of the requirement for gluten free at 1am. For all you coeliacs out there, the restaurant here is a true shang ri la. It was a novel expericence to be able to order direct from the menu and have the vast majority of items on the menu able to be prepared gluten-free (including the desserts), even dishes that contained gluten could be tweaked to remove or replace it so for once it was not a case of "what can I eat?" but "what do I want to eat?". That makes a huge difference.

In addition, they were able to provide gluten free bread rolls at the start of the meal, and there was no feeling that we were annoying or confusing them with our requests. These things alone would be enough to make us return again with our familes as very satisfied customers. But that wasn't all. This was truly the best meal, with the most fantastic service that we have had since the diagnosis of coeliacs.

Without a doubt we will be returning to this hotel/resteraunt in the near future

Room Tip: Just ask. The staff are nothing if not helpful and want to make sure your stay is amazing.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2014

Dear Christian S
Firstly may I thank you most sincerely for your comprehensive review and say how delighted I am that my staff looked after you both so well. I will pass your comments on to all the staff and in particular the Chef who will be delighted to hear that the efforts of the chefs to provide Gluten Free diets has been welcomed; thank you so much.

I feel that I must add what a pleasure it is for us all to have been of service to you and your wife, and I hope it’s not long before we can welcome you back to the Midland Hotel.

Warm Regards

Reviewed 9 May 2014

I accompanied my husband on a business trip and stayed at The Midland Hotel, Bradford. I endorse all the positive comments other reviewers have left, including the genuinely friendly and helpful staff. They greeted us with a smile every time and seemed keen that I had had a pleasant visit to Bradford. Little things matter when you are away from home for a length of time :-
Room was very spacious, large King bed, flat screen tv with many channels, including Sky. Ample wardrobe and drawers. The hospitality tray was full to overflowing with many coffee sachets, tea and LOADS of milk - not just a couple of pots!
Bathroom, both bath and shower, large again, three sets of shower gel and shampoo plus additional toiletries, soap etc. complimentary robe and slippers. Heated towel rail and plenty of towels.
Breakfast - choice of cooked to order or buffet, or both. Food was good.
We ate in the lounge and the from bar - ample menu choice and quality was good. Took a little time to come though, 20 mins average.
24 hour room service with a good menu choice.
Parking - although complimentary, it is a first come first served. I also found that, as my car was parked for the week, conference guests (?) blocked me in. No problem as I didn't need it but could be an issue for others.
Wifi, again, complimentary, very hit and miss signal
N.B. There is also the new Westfield centre being constructed opposite which, although was noisy during the day as you would expect, not an issue after 1800hrs. Traffic diversions are in place and made the hotel awkward to find.
However, this is a great hotel made great by its' wonderful staff. I shall be back!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
GaryPeacock, General Manager at Midland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2014

Dear Kathryn L

I would like to thank you for your very gracious and might I say very comprehensive review of the hotel and its facilities following your recent stay for a week. I believe the review you have written is both informative, and it portrays everything that we strive to achieve for our guests. I am delighted that you found the service from the staff, food standards and overall facilities and services of the hotel to meet your expectations. I apologise about the intermittent Wi-Fi signal in that area of the hotel, I will get that looked at straight away.

It is very rewarding for us all when our customers give us such positive feedback and it reinforces our beliefs in the journey that we are on; that is to be recognised as one of the best hotels in the region. I believe that the ethos around first class service starts with staff members who care about the clients they serve and the hotel they work in and I am thankful that I have excellent caring staff. Thank you for your positive comments in this regard and I will be sure to pass them onto the staff.

I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel once again in the near future, but in the meantime thank you once again.

Warmest Regards