“Great As Usual”

Ranked #349 of 687 Restaurants in Bradford
England
“Great As Usual”
Reviewed 2 October 2013 via mobile

We called into the Idle restaurant for lunch on a wet Wednesday afternoon due to my husband having a very rare day off so we came here as a treat.

For a fish and chip restaurant, it is very well appointed and stylishly modern. To be fair though, it isn't cheap and you are paying restaurant prices (nearly £9 for their bog standard fish, chips and mushy peas).

They have recently had a redecoration, which I don't understand because it was lovely the way it was and not in the least bit in need of it. The benches along the windows have been removed and replaced with just tables going along with net curtains for privacy. More than enough light comes in. In fact MORE comes in without the benches there taking up most of the windows, which are floor to ceiling.

The clientele in Websters each time we have visited, has usually been quite elderly as I know they run some sort of over 60s lunch time special, which is great. I personally can't say I've been there when there has been many other young couples like us there, or families. I'm sure they do come in, just that we have rarely seen them as it seems to appeal mostly to much older people. I only highlight this because it's a shame there aren't more families coming in as it's lovely for them and we would reccommend family eating here. The prices may also be an off putting factor though, especially when you can feed the family for less at McDonalds which is 2 seconds away at Five Lane Ends.

The service is always very pleasant and I have never been able to fault it. We were greeted warmly on arrival and given a choice of a couple of tables. Our orders were taken swiftly and courteously and our drinks appeared first with no delay.

The food was excellent. We both had haddock and chips, except my husband had jumbo haddock with curry sauce and I had the standard one with mushy peas. The batter was lovely and the chips were great. I've never had a bad meal here, ever. Hence we keep coming back as a rare treat.

We used to go to the Baildon branch, but as there is virtually nowhere to park there, we opt for Idle as there is always parking available outside.

Its got such a nice, modern and uncrowded feel to it, which I really like. It has never been full or busy whenever we have gone. This for us is great as I don't like heaving restaurants at all and as they provide great food and service, makes this a bit of a hidden gem really.

My family from Merseyside, whenever they visit, always ask to come here to eat as they say it is the best fish and chips they've had and love the style of the restaurant. An endorsement indeed! :)

Bradford, United Kingdom
“To like or not to like ?”
Reviewed 7 September 2013

we were a little disappointed today, the refurbishment was almost complete but we found it quite dismal, a move around of furniture so i was told the previous week would let in more light, this was great as the large window area was ideal for my aunt whose failing eye sight needs all the light they can get, im afraid the next visit with her will get many complaints, the lovely windows are now covered with long net curtains which block the light and given it was a miserable saturday lunch time it seemed dull and miserable inside too, also the fake book wallpaper really does make it look cheap, all a shame as the fish and chips were still great, not so much as i did see the funny side when an obviously new waitress came running to us with extra bread we ordered(she had forgotten) with half a slice in each hand, we did see the funny side as other diners were also looking, a plate next time dear please haha

• Visited September 2013
Shipley
“Food tasted like it had been waiting a while!!”
Reviewed 27 August 2013 via mobile

Really looking forward to fish and chips - to be totally disappointed! Both the fish and chips tasted like they had been waiting around for some time! Fish and chips, fish butty, a fish, peas and curry was just short of £13. Not really a cheap meal. Though having said all of that, the peas were lovely. Just in case, this was the idle branch - never had this problem with the Baildon branch

• Visited August 2013
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Great fish and chips and helpful friendly staff”
Reviewed 30 July 2013

We went to Websters in Idle a couple of weeks ago. We were a group of five and all had the over 60's menu which was excellent value and great food. One of our party had recently been diagnosed with a gluten intolerance and Websters were able to provide her with fish and chips cooked separately and in gluten free batter! There was also gluten free ice cream for dessert. The staff were so friendly and helpful we couldn't have been looked after any better. We all enjoyed our meal and if any one has gluten intolerance then we would definitely recommend Websters as a good place to go! If we lived nearer we would be there every week!

• Visited July 2013
Bradford, United Kingdom
“improved”
Reviewed 21 April 2013

my visit here this week was much improved as our last visit a couple of weeks ago was not the best, the large fish was very well done and hard, we asked for our fish to be lighter done and it was perfect in comparison to our last visit which i would have sworn was a warm up,but on mentioning this i was assured this never would happen! we left feeling much happier about returning as we are great fish and chip lovers, we have no complaints of the staff who we always find friendly and attentive and nothing seems too much trouble.

• Visited April 2013