“Is in Lister Park”
Review of Cartwright Hall

Cartwright Hall
Ranked #11 of 88 things to do in Bradford
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Lovely little regional art gallery in Lister Park (see separate review). Some great pieces and well presented special exhibitions with stuff for kids to do.

The gent's toilets are worth a visit if you like Victoriana

1  Thank DavidStone2
"works of art"
in 4 reviews
"special exhibition"

Reviewed 25 April 2014

I went to Cartwright Hall to see the temporary exhibition 'Rossetti's Obsession - Images of Jane Morris'. I already knew where Lister Park is (in terms of where it is situated in Bradford), and this has somewhat put me off ever going there.

It was a bit disappointing that there was a pretty nasty funfair in the park when we went because you could hear it whilst you were in the gallery, but that is an aside and not a permanent consideration fortunately.

The exhibition was excellent and clearly a lot of time had been spent in getting the lighting, the layout, the music and the overall feel right. I was pleased to hear that it was proving popular from the person in the shop / foyer. As the exhibition was small we had time to walk around the rest of the gallery. There were two other temporary exhibitions on the ground floor, a basement exhibition, and the first floor was mainly what I thought was the permanent collection. The gallery spaces were good, the arrangement of works were complementary and diverse so it never felt like an exclusive viewing or that you couldn't empathise with any of the works. Some of the lighting fell harshly on some of the larger pieces so you had to move around a bit to see what had been obscured by glare. However, this is a minor gripe, as overall I thought the Hall was a lovely place and I had a great afternoon.

I will definitely go back and am looking forward to exploring more of the park. The gardens outside of Cartwright Hall were beautiful and clearly tended by people who very much care about what they do.

1  Thank Pam C
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Typical but in its way unique and worth a look. The history of Bradford from the Civil War when they were on the winning side but occupied through the very beneficial immigrations to the period when it was the World's centre of the wool trade and the heart of the industrial revolution to the present day where it is recovering.

Reviewed 17 September 2013

On a blustery and wet Sunday afternoon my partner and I decided to visit Cartwright Hall and arrived at 2.30pm so as the museum closes at 4pm on a Sunday we only had 1.5 hours. What an amazing place - we started by looking at an exhibition of art work from local nursery and school children - some budding artists there. We then wandered around the exhibitions and thoroughly enjoyed our brief visit. We nearly got locked in as bang on 4pm an alarm sounded and shutters were pulled down so we will certainly make a return journey. We then started walking around Lister Park and were very impressed with the fountains and water garden but then the rain came down so we left but once again will return.