“Disappointing”

Holiday Inn Express Bradford City Centre
Ranked #7 of 27 Hotels in Bradford
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Parking fees. On the booking confirmation, it states, “Daily Parking Fee £4”. This does not explain the car park charges every time you leave the car park. We had to leave after check in to attend a meal and paid £2.60 for the one hour we had been there. Upon check out we then had to pay another £3.60. I realise there isn’t a huge difference in the amount shown on the confirmation, however, I believe as a guest at the hotel, a pass should be provided for the £4 shown on confirmation to allow guests to leave and return to the car park as many times as they require during their stay.
No blankets provided for baby in cot, so is a good job I brought my own from home – later explained by the manager on duty at the time of check out that this is because of health and safety regulations, however, I believe that should be mentioned on booking or at latest, check in.
Although I put on my booking I would like a cot to be provided for us, the reception when checking in did not know this and therefore no cot was in the room, however, the gentleman on reception brought a cot to our room. This was a broken cot. My partner and I didn’t realise when we initially put the cot in the room, when looking at the cot, we thought there to be a slat missing out of the “mattress” therefore we put the cover from the sofa bed into the cot to lay our son on top, to provide a bit more cushioning. As it was late when we arrived back at the hotel, my son had fallen asleep on the way back and I had to carry him from the car park to the hotel, we used the cushioned cot rather than wait for the hotel to change the cot for us (Needless to say, he ended up in bed with us). Upon dismantling the cot, we realised the supporting bar had broken as it wouldn’t go down correctly. We know this as we have the same travel cot ourselves which we have put up and down on many occasions. Answer
The shower wouldn’t drain the water when you were inside it, therefore when my son splashed; water went all over the tiled floor, making it slippery. I had to make sure towels were placed on the floor before he got out of the shower. Perhaps it was a blocked drain in that particular room? I will say I thought the room was well kept, although old fashioned, it was clean.
Breakfast – Not a lot of choice, however, it does not bother me too much as we didn’t pay a huge amount to stay over. However, what was provided wasn’t great. The croissants were stale. My son couldn’t chew them and didn’t end up eating them. The bread was obviously cheap and was hard around the edges. The sausages, free choices of tea, coffee and juices and the cereals on offer were all good, on the other hand. Once choosing our breakfast and taking it to our seats, the highchair available for my son was FILTHY. And I mean horrid. It had clearly only just been wiped down rather than cleaned. It also wasn’t assembled correctly, resulting in my sons bottom falling through the seat. It’s a good job we used the straps and my partner was sat next to him to hold him in. unsurprisingly, he ended up sat on my lap.
I raised these issues with the manager on duty once checking out, who did not even introduce herself; therefore I cannot provide you with a name. She was most unhelpful only providing any sort of response as to why they cannot provide blankets for cots, she did not apologise and even said, I quote, “What would you like me to do about it?” I truly believe you need to train your staff, in particular your DM’s on customer service. The gentleman and lady on reception on check in and checkout weren’t unfriendly; however they weren’t particularly friendly, either. One lady, I’m unsure of her job role, was very friendly during breakfast as she walked around each table saying good morning, so you have at least one member of staff to be proud of.
One word to describe this hotel – Disappointing.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Hannah B
DeanLong, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bradford City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2013

Dear Hannah B

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay

After reading you review i would be grateful if you would contact me directly at gm@hiexpressbradford.co.uk so that i could respond to you privately as clearly your stay experience was not what i would wish our guests to encounter

Dean Long

Reviewed 26 October 2013

Didn't know what to expect, but was surprised.

The room was an average room, nothing special, but it worked just fine for our stay.
The location is very central. Easy to access the highways and a 7 minute walk to downtown.
Lots of restaurants are around the hotel, so eating isn't a problem.
Parking is very good and cheap.
Breakfast in the morning is actually quite good. Good selection and some hot food items that tasted well.
Staff here were very friendly and helpful.

If you need to stay in Bradford, this is a good choice.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ElementTent

Dear Elementtent

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us

I will pass on your comments to my team, it is nice to hear that you found the location suited your needs for your trip to bradford and that you found the Free breakfast met with your expectations

Dean Long

Reviewed 22 October 2013

What can I say. Ultra basic and tiny TV set that had appalling picture quality. I hate not being able to put my clothes in a wardrobe without doors as well. As an IHG platinum member I would at lease expect free breakfast and wireless that was useable but sadly both of these were missing. Sort it out!!!!

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Bertroot
DeanLong, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bradford City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

Dear Bertroot

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I am a bit surprised by your comments regarding breakfast and Wifi. The hotel does offer a Free breakfast which is avaliable on the second floor to all guests during the following hours, Monday to Friday between 6.30am and 9.30am and from 7.30am until 10.30am at weekends. We also offer Free Wifi to guests and with the exception of one night when we did have a technical fault it has been fully functional for guest use, You do need a user name and password to access the system which is provided by the front desk team.

Please accept my apologises if this was not explained clearly to you on your checkin.

In relation to your comments regarding the room, we do not have any Immediate plans to change the design of the open wardrobe but replacement televsions are very much on the agenda.

Thank you again for taking the time to review as all comments assist us in meeting our guest expectations

Reviewed 19 October 2013

This was our first stay at this hotel and we were attracted by the price on this occasion only £39 for a twin room including breakfast from the Holiday Inn website. We journeyed by car after leaving the M62 and M606 we left the motorway not for the city centre but for Bradford West. Once you leave the motorway stay in the right hand lane as you will be turning right after Morrisons following the city centre signs. You will eventually notice the brown signs for The Leisure Park. Follow the car park sign but as you approach keep left as there is another car park entrance to the right for the County park. Take your car park ticket to reception on the 2nd floor of the hotel for validation and you will be allowed 24hrs for £3. Try and park on the 4th floor if you can as this will bring you out at the correct level for the hotel, otherwise it is either steep steps or lift. The hotel is in a plaza with Hollywood Bowl, Frankie & Bennys, Pizza Hut, Nando's, multi screen cinema and casino. You take the lift to the 2nd floor to check in. We arrived about 1pm but we were allowed into our room immediately. Buffet breakfast is included with sausage, scrambled egg and beans if you want hot food also on the 2nd floor. Times vary but at the weekend is served between 7am and 1030am. It is only about 5 - 10 mins to walk downhill to the city centre. The hotel is about 10 years old but looks relatively new. However, we did have a problem sleeping, although I admit to being a light sleeper, the noise levels from passers by outside and guests within resulted in very little sleep. We had a twin room which unless you are of slim build or its for children then we found the bed duvets very small and barely covered the bed never mind once you get inside it was far too small. I would avoid a twin room and go for a double if you can. Anyhow for the money we paid we were delighted but went home the day after to catch up on sleep. There is a Premier Inn and Hilton hotel close by but I doubt you will get the same value for money. Worth a try especially if you are not a light sleeper and don't need much room in bed. I had to report the fact that when I took a shower the water was not draining away quickly enough and it was like a paddling pool for about 10 mins after I showered.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mel271
DeanLong, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bradford City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2013

Dear Mel271

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay.

I will pass on your comments to my team.

The hotel does aim to offer good vlaue for money and the Free Brakfast and Free Wifi does go some way to deliver this. I am gald you made use of the ticket valadation at reception giving you a discount on the car Parking which is currently the cheapest secure payable parking offered by hotels in the city.

We look forward to welcoming you again shoudl you be in the Bradford area

Reviewed 18 October 2013 via mobile

We booked a family room and got a room with double bed and double sofa bed so plenty of room for 3. Beds are too soft for us, you get woken up by every small movement. Quite a bit of noise in the room from the roads nearby even with the windows shut. Nice big showers. Breakfast is ok but made difficult by there being nowhere for you to put your tray while you dish it out. Handy location for the town centre, cinema and bowling alley are just outside along with Pizza Hut, nan dos and Frankie and Benny's. Overall reasonable value for money.

Stayed: October 2013

Dear 92Karen

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

The hotel is indeed well located for Bradford and the complex does offer guests things to do on your doorstop.
The Majority of our rooms have a sofa bed and as you said are spacious enough for three people sharing. We will look into your comment about a tray runner for the breakfast buffet to see if one could be retro fitted as i can see this would make life a bit easier when getting the hot items.

We look forward to welcoming you again should you be in the bradford area.

Reviewed 10 October 2013

I stayed here recently. Went down for breakfast in the morning and came back up to my room, put my key card in the lock, walked in to my room and noticed that none of the stuff in there was mine, the laptop, the clothes, the shoes! Puzzled, I quickly realised that this wasn't my room and that I had managed to infact walk in to someone else's room, the one straight opposite my own room. So I quickly walked out and in to my own room! I'm just glad that the person who was staying in that room was not in when I called! But seriously, if I can get in to other rooms, who could have got in to my room? This was a very serious laps in security. You expect that when you leave you're room with all of your belongings inside, that you will be the only guest to have access to it.

I did report this incident on checkout, and they told me that they would look in to it, so hopefully they will, or there's a chance you may wake up with unwelcome visitors in your room.

Everything else was fine, parking was cheap and subsidised by the hotel, only £3 per night, breakfast was fine, the service at breakfast and on reception was very good.

Room Tip: Avoid the smoking floor and lock your door before bed!!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank BarrieS2
DeanLong, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bradford City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2013

Dear BarrieS2

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

We have of course looked into the issue with the door lock and found that a very rare fault had occured on the other lock. Your card would have not worked in any other rooms. The room in question was taken out of use and the look fixed the same day. The hotels security is something we take seriously, we also checked all other locks and no similar faults were found.

I will pass on your comments to the staff members your encountered as it is always good to hear that they provide you with very good service.

Thank you again for bringing this to our attention i hope we will be able to welcome you back again should you be in the bradford area.

Reviewed 1 October 2013

Location of this hotel is great with plenty to choose from within walking distance. Room very spacious, only downside was the size of the TV, I thought 14ins portables were obsolete now, even the picture was too big for the size of the telly. Breakfast is the same in all express hotels, nothing to shout about. A comfortable stay with no high expectations, but need a bigger tv, had to go out to watch football.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear Wayne H

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

I am glad that overall you found the hotel met with your expectations and that the location was ideal for going into Bradford.
The free breakfast is offered as standard in all Express Hotels in the uk as well as Free Wifi now.

We look forward to welcoming you again should you be in the Bradford area