“below expectations”

Asa Nicholson & Sons
Ranked #236 of 799 Restaurants in Bradford
Price range: US$4 - US$10
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Our air-conditioned tearoom provides an opportunity to watch our confectioners whilst you eat and was designed with the idea that you can see the food preparation. Facilities for the disabled were planned in the design stages and include close-by parking, level access and special toilet facilities. We have recently extended our tearoom and are now able to seat 88 people at any one time. Due to this extension we now welcome groups for meals throughout the day and evening.
Reviewed 27 June 2018

We had been to the farm shop, up the road, and felt peckish, I remembered using this place some years ago, on a regular basis, whilst working in the area, so it must be 10 years since I last visited. I gave a glowing report, to my wife, about how good the food was, oh dear, how times change. It was around 10.30 on the Sunday morning, the place was quiet, we took a seat, and chose our breakfasts, and waited, and waited. One staff member had friends or family in the cafe, and went to sit with them, eventually a young man came to take our order, which, to be fair arrived quickly, and looked OK, except for a couple of missing items, we couldn`t be bothered waiting any longer, so ate what we were given, which was quite tasty, when paying, the usual "was everything OK", was the question, when I explained about the missing items, no response was forthcoming, except of course the full price was asked for.I paid but will not be returning any time soon, sadly.

2  Thank Andy P

Reviewed 19 June 2018

This place is good for breakfast or lunch. The food is tasty and varied. Plenty of seating and car parking space.

Reviewed 2 May 2018

After attending a morning business meeting in Thornton and having had an early start with no breakfast went to this place on the recommendation of others who said it was very good. Unfortunately my experience did not match that recommendation. I treated this as 'brunch' as it was nearly eleven o'clock and some people had come in for lunch. I ordered the breakfast which came with toast and a drink of your choice (Tea or Coffee). The food came and Lukewarm is how I would describe the food and the service. The sausages were 'rustic' in their consistency and pretty tasteless and they were lukewarm. The bacon was also lukewarm and a bit 'stringy'. There was a nice looking 'sunny side up' egg which turned out to be cold. The baked beans were also cold. The mushrooms were well cooked but again they were lukewarm. On a brighter note the toast was OK and the coffee was nice but it was also ... lukewarm!

So for nearly eight quid I got lukewarm coffee and good toast and the rest of the breakfast was well below standard and I left it. When I raised this at the till when paying I got a non-committal 'shrug of the shoulders' type response.

There were five staff visible and working and the place was not overly busy but I noted that on three other tables there were 'workmen' types who had all also ordered the breakfast and they had all left some or all of their food. Then at the table next to me two ladies had ordered toasties with a drink. The drinks arrived OK but when the food arrived the ladies said it was not what they ordered. After a bit of too-ing and fro-ing it was clear the waitress was entrenched in that she was right and customers were wrong when suddenly a couple at another table pointed out that in fact it was the food they had ordered and it had been brought to the wrong table. The waitress gave the food to them without a hint of apology to any of the parties involved. The couple then started to eat their food and they also said it was not overly warm, although some of this was probably due to the delay and dispute over the wrong order being brought (or to the wrong table). The two ladies did eventually get their order, although I noted that it had been sat at the kitchen despatch for some time and I guessed that it was also now lukewarm. However, they ladies did not seem to be bothered about that and tucked in with gusto.

So all in all I won't be eating here again any time soon. I note that there are lots of positive comments on Trip Advisor for this place so maybe I was unlucky but you take your chances .... and mine were lukewarm.

1  Thank Boz1148
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Not particularly cheap but good portions, friendly service. Popular with the older generation. Takeaway from the shop next door.

Reviewed 24 February 2018

3 of us had a meal at lunch time and the food was basic English Fayre probably OK for most customers. The prices weren't cheap so not somewhere I would go back to for savouring food although I must say the desserts were great I recall the carrot cake being delicious.