“manager”
Review of The Lister Hotel

The Lister Hotel
Ranked #25 of 27 Hotels in Bradford
Reviewed 1 November 2012

A woman who claims to be the manageres in the Lister Hotel was very rude to me and my husband when we where there.
This lady behaved unprofessionally and has difficulty understanding and speaking English.
Brekfast was awful and without service.
I am very dissappointed with your new employees.

2  Thank Julia B

Reviewed 17 October 2012

This place really is Fawlty Towers, I have never stayed anywhere so poorly managed in my life. The staff - most of them try their hardest to help you but the woman who checked us out and served us breakfast spoke poor English and seemed more interested in standing aimlessly looking pretty.

We checked in and had a gentleman show us to our room and carry our bags, my husband has a mobility problem. We were orginally on the 2nd floor but he managed to move us with no problem to one of the first floor. Like I stated earlier, he carrier our bags, and made sure we were comfortable in our room. He gave us copies of the menu and asked if we would like a reservation for dinner in the hotel restaurant that evening. When he went, we had a cup of tea and there were only 2 tea bags, 2 minuture portions of UHT milk, 2 portions of sugar and 2 portions of coffee. We called him back, and he brought us some more. I had to be really fussy and ask for fresh milk but this was not an issue, so he brought us a jug of fresh milk.

We booked a table later on after we had some time to unwind as one needs to after a long journey. We then went into the restaurant which is a huge room with a nice bar with a good selection of drinks. The hotel even has its own brand of bitter which my husband enjoyed, however he does prefer real ale but the hotel doesn't have any. However, the young man recommened some real ale pubs not too far and said we should give them a try. We enjoyed our meal, we were the only ones in the restaurant at the time and felt like we were waited on hand and foot, the waiter kept coming and asking us if everything was ok and would we like more beverages which was really nice

We had an awful nights sleep, with some weird noise coming from the corridor outside our room. It was like a groaning/moaning noise. One of which sounded like someone was dying and been dragged across the hallway half conscious. However when we opened our door to investigate there was no one there.

We came down for breakfast and were given the most unwelcome greeting by the bazaar woman on reception. She didn't speak much English but she seemed to be getting there slowly. We asked her for a pot of tea and a pot of coffee. We ended up with a pot of tea with a dead spider in it and a pot of coffee. I raised the young womans attention who then asked me if the spider was still alive. I said I didn't think so, I think you may have killed it by scorching it or drowning it. She brought us another pot of tea, which was all chipped around the edges. We seemed to be an inconvience to her if anything. We order a full English breakfast and a Bacon and Mushroom omelette. However she said she had no mushrooms, so we ordered two full English breakfasts. Too my surprise when the breakfast arrived, it had 1 sausage, 2 rashers of bacon, 2 eggs, tomato, black pudding and to my horror mushrooms. I said I thought you don't have any mushrooms to her, she said we don't. I said what are these then she said it was fungus? It was safe to say she didn't know what a mushroom was. She then went off and sat on one of the sofas in the bar. Very unprofessional. The breakfast food was like it had been cooked in a grease couldron and the sausage and bacon burnt.

My husband has a mobility problem and went to the toilet downstairs, there was an "out of order" sign on the door. He asked the woman and she said to him the toilet is out of order and said he would have to go to his room. So he had to crawl up the stairs, and go to the toilet. By the time he came back down breakfast was cold. The out of order signs seem to run throughout the hotel on every floor. The first thing you are greeted with when you open the entrance to the hotel door is an "out of order" sign right in front of you.

We checked out and I raised a few things with her on how excellent the food was compared to this morning and that my husband had to have a cold breakfast with having to go to the toilet upstairs. Why she could not have let him use the ladies is beyond me. She said to that she would raise it with the chef about cold plates. I then raised her the strange noises we heard in the corridor in the night and all she said was "Yes, it is windy isn't it. I hope it does not rain!"

This was not a good stay, which is the reason for the very poor scores. 2 of the 3 key items I require for a decent stay are good night's sleep, good food & exceptional service, these were breached & well below my expected standards for any hotel

Room Tip: Avoid the foreign woman that speaks little English
1  Thank singingwalrus
Reviewed 17 October 2012

Stayed last week on a living social deal. Had a lovely meal and the waiter was very charming and polite. He was the only staff on duty front of house wise. He served us drinks, food and cleared our table. Very professional.

The room was very clean with fresh fluffy towels and nice ironed quilt.

Breakfast was somewhat a farce, the lady serving us was abrupt and didn't seem to understand much English and got confused when I asked for a pot of hot water I got jug of water. My husband asked for a coffee and tea before we left - thought we would relax for a bit after packing out bags and she told us we had too much. Dreadful woman

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Lolatheme
Reviewed 15 October 2012

As my above title reads literally run as fast as you can as you see this dreadful place. We stayed here for 1 night recently and got moved to a completely different hotel. The other hotel was not boutique and we got a twin room despite wanting a double! The two young men who waited on us while we dined in the restaurant were very nice and apologised profoundly. One of them stated a manager would be in Monday morning and we could complain regarding being swapped to a different hotel. We enjoyed our meal, the food was divine.

We called on Monday morning and spoke to this vile, woman the converstation went like this.

Me: "Hi I would like to speak to a manager and make a complaint please."
Vile Woman: "Sure, I am the manager, I can help you make a complaint, what is your name?"
Me: "Said name"
Vile Woman: "What date was this?"
Me: "Gave her the dates?"
Vile Woman: "What is your name"
Me: "Gave her my name again!!"
Vile Woman: "I cant understand you call back later"
Me: "Excuse me?"
Vile Woman: "You make fake complaint its not on the computer so therefore you did not stay"
She then hung up. I called back again she told me to stop bothering her and said i was making a fake complaint!!!

Room Tip: Do not stay
2  Thank Marko D
Reviewed 10 October 2012

I rang on Wednesday morning to book a 2 night groupon stay. I spoke to a foreign woman who was on the height of arrogance and so rude. I asked for a room overlooking lister park, she asked me if i wanted a window... well duh yes! I just said yes please and was polite. Then I asked for a room with a hot tub jacuzzi... her reply flabbergasted me "Do you want a hot fart?" I said pardon she said "A hot fart a warm fart?" I said no she hung up! Then I called back several times she just said "Luxury farts are not available" and kept hanging up on me. I emailed later explaining and stated the call was recorded as ringing off the work phone. It has given my co-workers endless amusement. I am going to send this off to you've been framed as it was hillarious

Room Tip: They have rooms with hot farts in apparently!!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
8  Thank Robert C
Reviewed 1 October 2012

i stayed on 12 sept and it was awful sent an email complaining to management about the issues we had with the staff we ate in the so called bistro which is nothing more than a poky room with purple paint. the chairs wobbled and nearly collapsed!! we had to swap 3 chairs. there were loads of men in and the man serving us had a tatoo on his right arm which lowered the tone even more - guess they employ anyone these days. then when he was on the phone talking to someone about cock rings we nearly threw up. the room had a crack from floor to ceiling and when we went to bed we had a visitor of the furry kind at 3am!! how this is a boutuqye hotel is beyond me. food cheap and very overpriced. the breakfast was very nice and there was a young man who served us so not all staff are bad but we stuck to the continental as another resident staying long term told us breakfast was like gruel. we checked out and the man still charged us for tea even tho the problems we had the nite before. we didnt say anything on check out about the problems just wanted to leave as soon as but be warned

Room Tip: just dnt go here!!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank carla m
Reviewed 1 October 2012

My wife and I checked into this hotel on a deal. There was a mix up with the bookings, and as a result we ended up staying at the Cartwright Hotel just down the road. The room was lovely and clean, and the evening meal at the Lister Hotel was quite simply stunning. The breakfast the next day was somewhat chaotic, but we would come back soon for the food alone in the restaurant. The Chef was amazing!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple