“enjoyable weekend away”
Review of The Lister Hotel

The Lister Hotel
Ranked #25 of 27 Hotels in Bradford
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Went to this hotel for 50th birthday with family and friends. Thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Host Was excellent, nothing too much trouble, very friendly environment. Would definitely recommend. Warm, clean and spacious rooms, excellent breakfast.

Room Tip: Room 107 and 207 large rooms with jacuzzi bath overlooking park.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Lynne D

Reviewed 31 October 2013

Had a weekend here with a groupon voucher and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Large room overlooking the park, owner very helpful, food was fine. Bit concerned after reading other tripadvisor reviews but our room was clean as were the common areas of the hotel. Yes it is a bit run down but for the price can't complain.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FiftySomethingCouple
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Stayed here Sat 19th Oct in room 102. Large room, high ceilings, big bay window overlooking Lister Park. Bed had clean white duvet & towels were white & fluffy. Bathroom had shower only but no prob. Checked in with Simon who was a really friendly chatty guy, nothing was too much trouble. Went out for a meal then came back for drinks in the bar. Simon was doing the bar & checking in the odd couple of guests that arrived. The bar area is a lovely relaxing place to have a drink & watch large screen TV from the leather chesterfield style sofas/chairs. Might not stock what your local Wetherspoons has but the prices are similar. Simon brought us over some tortilla chips & dips which was a nice touch. Cant comment on food as stayed on room only basis with Lastminute.com which cost £29-50 less £2-95 thru cashback site. Room was nice & warm, bed was very comfortable so excellent value for money. Stay in hotels regularly but rarely do reviews however I think this one has had a bad press looking at some of the other reviews. Think people must spend half their time searching around for any little fault instead of enjoying the time they are away. My wife & I will definitely return & would be happy to recommend it to family & friends.

Room Tip: Room overlooking Lister Park was nice.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Raymond T
Reviewed 19 October 2013

“I had arranged to stay at the hotel (12/09/2013) and I arrived earlier than planned and called at the hotel to see if I could leave my luggage. The time was 12.30pm, the hotel door was open, however there did not appear to be anyone manning either the reception or the bar area. Despite calling out, no one seemed to be available. I even tried ringing the hotel phone number that was given on the voucher, which rang in the foyer were I was standing for 6 rings before being disconnected. I waited a total of 20 minutes in the foyer area without the appearance of any staff.The standard of cleanliness of the public areas of the hotel that I was able to view ( and smell ) were enough of a deterrent.” I left without staying, I have tried via Wowcher to get a response from the Hotel but no joy there. Do not stay here.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Stayed here in March. Looked lovely from outside and good location opposite the park. But the porch was littered with cigarette butts, the hall and stairs were dirty and the whole place was shabby in the extreme. Furthermore we were charged twice for our evening meal £66 and despite repeated phone calls and e mails this has not been refunded. Do not go here!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lynda D
Reviewed 24 September 2013 via mobile

We were due to stay at this hotel weekend 31st August - on arrive it was apparent the property urgently needed updating. The carpets were filthy, lights on reception were broken. However the lady of reception was polite, friendly and helpful. The biggest disappointment for us was on entering our room to discover cobwebs hanging from the ceiling, disgusting toilet and the jacuzzi bath we had paid an upgrade for was full of pubic hairs. Having sat on the bed the springs were sharp through the mattress and the floorboard of so thin that anyone walking around sounds like they might end up in your room. Over all it felt like cheap student accommodation.

We could not stay due to the lack of cleanliness in the room, and checked out that night. When leaving the lady on reception was very apologetic but did not offer any kind of a refund. We were told the manager was on holiday and therefore the assistant manager would call Sunday or Monday, we heard nothing- when I rang and spoke to the assistant manager he was quite stand offish before offering to refund the upgrade but stated I would have to go back to wowcher to get the rest of my refund. Wowcher have informed me they need confirmation from the hotel and in trying to seek this I have had no response from the hotel!

Wasted part of my weekend and continue to waste time trying to get my money back, the only positive was the hotel was moved to was fantastic!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Lowry3
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We stayed at the hotel on living social deal.On arrival the owner Simon met us in the car park and carried our bags to the top floor to a lovely spacious room-more like a suite really-with sofa and large screen tv as well as a jacuzzi bath.We enjoyed a lovely meal in the bistro with complimentary wine.Although service was a little slow this did not bother us as we enjoyed prolonging the evening charting and the waiter was very attentive and friendly.The bed was very comfortable and had a great nights sleep heading down to breakfast at 9.15 which is a nice touch to serve until 10.00.All in all a lovely experience and would say previous reviews do not do the hotel justice.Little touches like nibbles on the bar and lovely contemporary music in the bistro make the lister stand out so thank you for a lovely stay.

• Stayed: September 2013