“Who knew!!!?”
Review of The Lister Hotel

The Lister Hotel
Ranked #25 of 27 Hotels in Bradford
Reviewed 20 March 2007

Me and my girlfriend stayed at this hotel about 6 weeks ago and had such a great weekend we came back the weekend later! The staff were helpful and friendly (Liz), the bed great and the food exceptional! Their was a few minor problems mentioned in previous posts but nothing that won't be sorted and would not stop us from returning! All this in Bradford as well.Who knew?

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 19 March 2007

Booked a great sounding deal via the hotel website. Arrived to find scaffolding surrounding the building with plastic tarpaulin covering it. Friendly helpful staff at reception. Looked at a room at the front - the view was of plastic sheeting which was blowing ferociously in the wind and VERY noisy. No radiators, a small fan heater was on. Tiny bathroom with shower. All very nicely decorated however. It would have been impossible to sleep with the noise so we had to leave immediately - shame as I believe the food is excellent. Obviously we were a bit unhappy this hadn't been mentioned before we drove an hour and a half to get there only to return home again - 3 hours wasted! I wasn't impressed enough with the look of the room to bother going back when the scaffolding is down however.

Stayed: March 2007
Reviewed 25 February 2007

Just return from a two night stay at this hotel. It has only been opened 17 weeks and beware it's the first of five hotels the owners are planning in the area.
We were in room 101 - directly above the bar & restaurant and with a wedding & disco on the Saturday night that did not help us have a restful weekend as the phonic insultation is dreadful.
We could not have a shower because the water was dangerously hot.
The smell from the badly draining toilets was dreadful and could only be cleared in our room and others by the rooms having air fresheners and the bathroom fan on all the time.
The toilet had not been cleaned properly.
The matteresses are cheap and soft. The sheets did not look clean. The pillows were so soft both myself and my husband are now having neck and back aches.
The location is great, the food in the restaurant is very good however the cheap refurbishment job, amateurish management (eating sandwiches at the front desk & turning up to serve breakfast in dirty clothes) will ensure we do not return.
Bradford needs good hotels and sadly this will not be one.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank Sheilaontour
Reviewed 23 January 2007

I just came back from my trip to Bradford where I spent the night in the Lister Mansion Hotel, which I booked via Expedia.

Let me brief you about this hotel:

No radiators, only an under floor heating system that does not provide sufficient heat to warm the entire room. The temperature in the room was 11C when I arrived. I was provided with the cheapest and smallest heater money can buy, which raised the temperature to 17C after two hours on full blast. The temperature never went above 17C. I could not keep the small heater on all night as it is a fire hazard. The temperature was back to 11C this morning.

After a day in the car, I decided to try to relax with a hot shower. The shower had no pressure whatsoever. It was a miserable dribble of water. The bathroom was borderline clean, very disputable (I could see fungus on the shower curtain).

No shower cap, no floor mat, one half used roll of toilet paper. The mirror in the bathroom was so high that I could only see the top of head (I am 1M63).

The mattress was extremely uncomfortable. I could feel all the metal springs. I obviously, requested a second duvet, which was provide with.

There are no phonic insulation, I could hear other guests as if they were in my own bedroom.

The food was good, that’s the only bonus.

It seems to me that the renovation project was poorly managed, taking more interest in the overall appearance of the place rather than what really matter.

In conclusion, this hotel could be lovely, but the owner(s) must get the basics right: a good bed, good shower, clean, quiet and warm room.

Stayed: January 2007
4  Thank MCalvi
Reviewed 12 January 2007

A great little hotel that's not quite achieving its potential. Dinner was delightful and I would recommend its restaurant to anyone. The rooms have been well decorated if somewhat sparsely; no tea/coffee facilities, hairdryer, toiletries etc. No chain or double lock on the door, which as a single female traveller left me feeling a little insecure. The bathrooms have clearly been recently done but the wet room doesn't work too well, there is barely any water pressure in the shower and the late addition of shower curtains are far too close. I would stay again as this seems the best choice in Bradford. As I said, great potential, just a bit more attention to detail required.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank QuinsFan
Reviewed 7 January 2007

Stayed here Sat 6th Jan for one night. Booked online based on the reveiws I'd read on this site and wasn't disappointed! Found it quite easily (not knowing Bradford at all) and it was well lit up and signed so no probs there. Decent sized car park, straight into reception area to be greeted by Ryan (General Manager) behind the desk. He knew who we were (probably because it was fairly quiet that night) and check-in was dead easy. The room was outstanding - spacious, heated floor (although slightly patchy heat) plus an additional fan heater, LCD (or plasma - not sure which) TV on the wall, great decor, fantastic light fitting(!), small en suite bathroom with only a shower but a nice one nevertheless (excellent complimentary toiletries by the way!), HUGE leather sleigh-style bed - very comfy indeed!. Had a couple of beers in the bar (nicely decorated bar/restaurant area) and chatted to the friendly staff, admired the view of Lister Park out of the front bay window. Following morning up for brekkie at 9.30-ish (although we were told not to rush as they would serve us whenever - should've finished at 10am). Fantastic breakfast choice, settled on full English (fried bread AND black pudding - wow!!) and tasted every bit as good as it looked. Loads of juice, tea, etc. Nothing seemed too much trouble for the staff at all and really friendly. The ONLY downside to the whole experience was that we didn't bag one of the 2 rooms that had their own jacuzzis! Paid the very reasonable bill (£75 for double room, 2x brekkies, 2x Erdingers and a vodka and coke) and on our way. Will DEFINITELY stay there again - can't recommend it highly enough!

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Frankietheman
Reviewed 26 October 2006

Whilst appreciating the effort that went into the decor of this hotel, the design is lacking functionality and quality in some areas. Here are some examples :-

- floors throughout the hotel are decked in probably quite expensive wood, including in the bedrooms. This proved to be a real nuisance whilst having a quiet drink in the bar or indeed trying to sleep with the noise of ladies' shoes. Perhaps asking staff to wear soft soled shoes would be a start. Not sure asking guests to take their shoes off in bedrooms would go down well
- good quality power showers have been fitted througout but with flimsy shower curtains resulting in a drenched bathroom. On one occasion the water actually came into the bedroom. I expect that this is the source of the flood stains on the ceiling in the bar
- there was no bin in the bathroom
- there was no heating in the bathroom! Indeed underfloor heating has been sparsely implemented throughout the bedrooms. I expect it will be cold in the winter
- food was OK. Nothing great
- breakfast tables lacked cutlerly and milk
- no full length mirrors in any of the bedrooms

All in all, nothing that can't be fixed with a little attention.

The rate was pretty good and it is probably still the best hotel around the area.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank BJMCNAUGHT