“Not For The Comfort Seeking Visitor”
Review of Ivy Guesthouse

Ivy Guesthouse
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bradford
Ivy Guesthouse
Ranked #13 of 20 Bradford B&B and Inns
Torbay
“Not For The Comfort Seeking Visitor”
Reviewed 1 November 2012

The overall impression of the exterior of the building is of a merchants house with extensive gardens,it just goes down hill from there. The interior is in desperate need of serious cleaning and effective maintenance the room we had for (thankfully) one night had the ceiling paper tacked in place with carpet tacks where a section had come away! the toilet door lock was barely operable and the shower room was held togther with tape and wire. The cost of the room was extortionate we moved into the Great Victoria hotel for the same cost as this very poor example of B&B accomodation.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Stuart S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2012

For the price the Ivy Guest House is not bad. Being very close to Bradford city centre with a friendly, obliging owner you can't expect much more for the price.
The house is badly in need of a facelift, repair, and re-decoration. There are 10 rooms on offer, simply furnished with antique furniture.
Tea, coffee, sugar, and uht milk packets are in the room along with a kettle, a sink, and a modern freeview TV (fully working)
Shower-rooms and toilets are shared, and badly in need of decorating and maintenance, but clean.
The breakfast includes a range of cereals and teas, and a small cooked breakfast (not particularly hot) Vegetarians are catered for.
The bed I slept in was perfect. Good firm mattress with two pillows (+one extra as requested) Could possibly do with a blanket provided for each bed though, for those who suffer with the cold.
Would definitely go again for the price and service.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank MattsBusinessReviews
chicago
Reviewed 18 May 2012

three of us stayed for one night in may 2012. i had good communication from the owner by email and phone and we were able to arrange a time to pick up the keys then we were free to come and go as we pleased. this is a grade II listed building in a tiny time warp of old listed buildings right in the center of bradford. the walled garden is stunning. i have to say this place will not be for everyone. if you like the idea of staying in a lovely old building which hasn't been updated for a long time and has the feel of guesthouse gone by (which we do), then you will like this place. the rooms have comfortable beds, the shared bathrooms have not been upgraded in a very long time but were clean and functional and the house is somewhat dilapidated (apologies to nick, the owner, but i'm sure he'd agree). however that just added to the charm for us. the breakfast was delicious, the prices are extremely reasonable and it's round the corner from the karachi curry house, one of the best in bradford.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank sallychicago
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 March 2012

I stayed in a private room for one night.
It's a guest house not a hotel - so don't expect private bathrooms or sterile conditions. For half the price of the standard chains I has a decent room in a quiet area - in close walking distance to the University (5 mins) and a cracking breakfast made to my specifications - full English, vegetarian or vegan available. Easy to book by email, quick confirmation and easy to find off the motorway up a cobbled road. Friendly and helpful reception. The decor is dated and tired, but there are signs that its gradually being updated. No private bathroom but there are enough shared facilities - even a huge bath.
If you want great value its the place to stay.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Garstang, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2011

Myself & 3 work colleagues stayed at the guesthouse & were treated & looked after very well, this was clearly a family run business which to be especially important because this is their home also, the lady I dealt with was very helpful both on the telephone & during our stay, the price was an absolute bargain & an amazing breakfast every morning, the location is perfect too - about 5 minutes walk from Bradford city centre & had plenty of amenities locally such as restaurants, takeaways, The Alhambra Theatre & public houses. The guesthouse has ample free carparking.
If I am up in Bradford again I will certainly be trying to get a booking there.

Room Tip: I recommend the Ivy Guesthouse
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
Leicester
Reviewed 23 May 2011

My husband and I booked this guest house last week to attend a friend's 40th birthday. We were travelling from Leicestershire with our 18 year old daughter and 11 year old son. The lady I spoke to on the phone was very pleasant and we gave card details for payment for a double and a twin room. The lady contacted us the day before to say there were only 2 twin rooms available which I said was not a problem.
We arrived to be met at the door by a tall, dishevelled man in dirty slippers. We signed in and he asked us what time we would be attending for breakfast. My immediate impression was that the place was cluttered and dirty. It smelt of damp and rancid fat.
On the way upstairs to view the rooms, the man informed us that the twin rooms were at the opposite ends of the house. I commented that I wasn't sure I was happy about this and said I wish we had been told about this at the time of booking. He became very aggressive and said we had not 'specified' this and that he didn't like my attitude.I replied that I had made it clear that we were a family.We proceeded back down the stairs while he ranted at us saying he was 'sick' of people like us 'assuming'. My husband and I were shocked at his behaviour as his eyes and whole demeanor disturbed us and frightened our children. We decided we we were not staying. My daughter unfortunately commented to him that the place was a [--] hole anyway and he replied 'I know it is'. I said we had paid him to stay, but the man informed us that no money had yet been taken from our account and why would he want our money?! The whole situation was like something out of a Monty Python sketch and we all burst out laughing when we got outside the house, but we did feel absolutely shell shocked when we got back to the car. This man made Basil Fawlty look like a teddy bear!
After the inconvenience of phoning round in an unfamiliar city, we eventually booked in at the Travel Lodge at Leeds Bradford airport. We had a fantastic evening with our friends and slept well in a clean, comfortable family room at a fraction of the price! Lessons have been learnt, but book at the Ivy Guest House at your peril !!!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay here under any circumstances
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
10 Thank MooresLeicester

Travellers are raving about these Bradford hotels

Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2011

Stayed here for one night as I had an exam at the hospital (about a 5 minute walk away) the next day. Single room with TV and communal bathroom for £25. Not bad. Welcoming family and nice breakfast. Could use a spruce up but at this price you can't argue! I wouldn't recommend an extended stay here though.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business