“You will like this place if...” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Old Sun

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Haworth
The Old Sun
Ranked #14 of 21 Haworth B&B and Inns
Manchester
“You will like this place if...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

...You like Cold showers, no television, loud music until 1am, greasy breakfast and general uncleanliness. Otherwise keep clear. Obviously ChaplowG is either the owner, use to poor standards or reviewed the wrong B&B.

Room Tip: There isn't one!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
6 Thank ManchesterBigeater

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

If you like having all of your five senses offended, this is the spot for you. Upon opening our room, we were greeted to dust and mold everywhere- including on the bedside lamp, the Kleenex box (which only had two used looking pieces of tissue inside and literally upon all surfaces. The walls were stained and had grease and scuff marks covering them. Clearly, this room did not need to be decorated with the Halloween theme that the downstairs pub had going on as there were already plentiful cobwebs and at least three spiders already in residence when we checked in. The beds themselves, I feared to sleep in without a full body suit of protection. I would have just left and gone somewhere else, but this was literally the ONLY place in Haworth with vacancy on the weekend that I had to be in the village for a research trip (it is no wonder why no one comes back and no one would want to bear such a hell hole).

After my initial terrifying view of the room when I dropped my bags before venturing out, I returned to have a shower and a cup of tea before going on a ghost walk and dinner (by the way, the Haworth Ghost Walk with lanterns is great, and I highly recommend it). The shower cubicle is TINY and I was repulsed to see not only a HUGE ball of hair in the drain, but a discarded bar of used soap covered in a past occupants pubic hair already in the shower cube! There was no where to put my towel or clothes inside the bathroom, as there was no toilet seat or other place to rest them, so I gingerly had to place my clean garments on the floor.

As soon as the water started running, a sewage like rotten egg smell began to fill the bathroom- it was unclear if it was coming from the drain or the water tap. I was too fearful to investigate any further and got out as soon as I could. When I went to make a tea, I found some loose tea bags floating around in a dusty service basket. I was already deeply terrified before I went on the ghost walk, and for all the wrong reasons.

Upon being forced to return to the Old Sun as there was no where else to go after the evenings activities, I was met with a counting game of bed springs, from a mattress which may have been from the same time as the Brontes, and a pillow which would rival a piece of paper for thickness. The pub below was banging music long into the night, as they had a lock in and it was not until well past 3am that there was a break from the loud noise provided from drunk pub goers.

The breakfast, which I dared to eat as I thought it could not get any worse, was literally a plate of grease.

I literally am thankful to have just survived the place- PLEASE, for all that is good in staying away form home, DO NOT GO TO THIS PLACE!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Jennifer B
Spalding, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

Twenty seven years ago, newly married and with our new puppy in tow, we booked a room here to enjoy the sights of Howarth. We recall that time with fond affection and remember a warm, intimate pub with good beer and welcoming hosts. Lesson learnt...NEVER go back! The Old Sun is now a soulless dump with Sky Sports blaring to an empty bar. All the recent TripAdvisor reviews are right, this is the worst B&B I have stayed in since Blackpool in 1979. The room was poky, with peeling wallpaper and a television the size of an iPhone. The brown carpet smelt of must, and the bedding, bizarrely, was a hideous shade of purple. Pillows were wafer thin, and no mattress protector - god knows what biological soup we might have been rolling around in all night. The bathroom had no toilet paper, and the toilet had a macerator which sprang into action at random times, including when you were in the shower, making it sound like you were showering and angle grinding a steel bar both at the same time. The kettle was on the floor, and the tea bags were just loose from a box. The next morning, the landlord, when he finally showed up, cooked us the most lamentable english breakfast I have ever tasted, the bacon rock hard, the fried potatoes cold and greasy, the toast sweet tasting (like the sort of bread you get abroad), and no butter (he could only find Flora, and only after we asked for it!). Ok, to be fair, they are only tenants, and it's obvious that the brewery probably won't stump up the money that is needed to get this place half decent, but this is in the heart of Bronte country! In another 27 years, I will be 81, and I don't envisage another trip to the Old Sun Inn! So, was there anything postive to say? Well, they take in dogs, and given the state of the place, they won't mind if the dog has swam through a ditch just prior to going to bed, and the beer wasn't bad, although most of the advertised beers weren't ready to serve, leaving just the IPA. Howarth itself is one of the most beautiful places in Yorkshire, just steer clear of this particular black hole...

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Martin T
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

The landlord found it hard to even speak to us showed us to our room. The stairway was disgustingly filthy bits hairs all up the stairs. Our room no2 was dirty with cobwebs, carpet not vacumned full of bits , used tissues in bathroom, bin not emptied from previous occupants. Dirty windows.Old shoddy chipped furniture, dusty lamps. The bed looked like it had been slept in as all bedding creased.
Breakfast was in bar-carton of juice, tea pot and coco pops on a table. .greasy very poor quality english breakfast .
How this establishment has a hygiene certificate ill never know. Not at all clean anywhere .Couldn't get out quick enough and will never ever return !!!!!!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Radding
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

The worst place I have ever stayed at filthy room , bins not emptied empty beer bottle still in it and used tissues , used ear bud on floor in toilet no toilet roll ,floor not vacuumed, breakfast appalling and landlord unfriendly this place should be shut down . We only stayed here because we couldn't get in anywhere else to stay dont make the same mistake

• Stayed August 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Raddings
West Yorkshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

went for Sunday lunch, staff unhelpful & miserable

soup cold heated in microwave, not acceptable

main course very poor all the food cold especially the mashed pots-reheated in microwave
We have been to this pub twice before , the food was very good then

Service poor they did not want to hear the complaints
Will not be visiting again!!!! We have vouchers to be stamped on our visits they would not do this!!!
Has this changed hands.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013

On arrival way past booking in time even though they only have 4 rooms ours wasn't ready.
We eventually made our way up the stairs that were filthy an looked like they hadnt been hoovered for an age.
The room was very standard & the shower cubicle wasn't the cleanest
No food available as we were told the food delivery was coming on Monday.
When on our way home we realised we had left my sunglasses in the room my wife spoke to the barman who said they had been found & they would forward to us..... They now deny this & say they never found them perhaps when they saw they were ARMANI designer ones they changed there mind.....SAD.
All in all they don't deserve any custom......stay away.

• Stayed June 2013