“There is so much to see, BUT not all in the same place...”

Keighley and Worth Valley Railway
Ranked #1 of 14 things to do in Haworth
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 329 helpful votes
“There is so much to see, BUT not all in the same place...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

What a fabulous time my mother, sister and I had in Haworth this summer. My only wish is that we would have stayed for a long weekend so we could have done it all. The organisation of the "Railway Children" part is none existent, which we found very frustrating to start with, but once we got under way on our own steam it was well worth the visit.

Pros:
The beauty of the landscape the film was set in could not be imagined, it is one of the most beautiful parts of our wonderful country.
There are some amazing views to take in when walking the set walks to visit the sites of the film The Railway Children.
The pride in the village from the people who live there is something I have not witnessed in a long time in a English village. The Tour de France had been there only a few weeks ago and so I think this May have attributed to this feeling.
Amazing to visit the living film set ofThe Railway Children
The website for the railway is very organised www.kwvr.co.uk and has ticket prices etc which makes organising a trip on the steam trains a little easier. To be honest you could spend a whole day just riding up and down on the steam trains as it was so much fun.
Lots of places to enjoy a picnic with a view
The man who lives at The Three Chimneys (Bents House) is very knowledgeable about the filming etc of The Railway Children.
It was amazing to visit the real live set of a childhood favourite film.

Cons:
wish the visitor website had more information that I could assess before my trip. Events such as the "Railway Children Weekend" in May, the Haworth Village 1940s weekend and the Vintage Trains and Cream Teas in Aug etc etc. I would have liked to have organised myself around one or two of these events and it would bring a lot more tourists to the area.
The settings for the film are far apart, I didn't mind this much as have worked on movie sets before, but some in my family were quite shocked to realise this and took coaxing to walk a little way. In the end we ran out of time and had to visit the station used in the film by car.
The train timetable was not understood by those who work in the Visitor Centre, I would have thought for a visitor attraction based mainly around the rail network this would be something they would have a firm understanding of?
It took us a long time to find the Visitor Centre, it took many phone calls and we also bumped into others that were lost and trying to find the visitor centre so this made me feel that maybe it wasn't just us lol. I think this is mainly due to having seemingly two parts to the village of Haworth. There seems to be an old part (where the visitor centre is located at the TOP of a STEEP hill) on a cobbled street away from the main road which was probably why it is difficult to navigate as well as not being very well signposted. You have to go through the park from the station, then cross over the road and on to the cobbled street. Right at the top and I MEAN, right at the top is the Visitor Centre. it is not sign posted at the exit of the park which would be useful.
Finding Parking was absolute nightmare. Thankfully it wasn't a weekend, we found a place to park at Haworth Station, £3 for the day. Although we soon found that parking at Oakmworth was free :-)
The Three Chimneys House is not an attraction. Although it seems that way on the brochures and website, it is privately owned and although the gentleman is very helpful and kind, I am sure he doesn't want people trampling all over his land to get the view of the front of the house.
The map on the leaflet that I brought from the Visitor Centre was wrong, it showed Mytholmes Railway Tunnel to be near the station, it is not. Don't ask the local people or those who work at the visitor centre because they are just as clueless as you.

We loved our adventure visiting the set of the beloved film "The Railway Children", but it could have been made so much easier by the Visitor Centre and they really let us down. I will def visit again and do everything we missed out plus more. An amazing day out for all involved.

Wokingham, United Kingdom
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 96 helpful votes
“kudos to the volunteers - great attraction”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

lovely views and really friendly staff - make this a great attraction

free parking at the weekends at Keighley station - so nice and easy and went for the full return

roughly 30 min ride up the valley and then a 30 min ride back

interesting museum at the end of the line too

considering the whole thing is run by volunteers each weekend - hats off to them !!

1 Thank martinfjlewis
Grange-over-Sands, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Ideal for lovers of Steam Locomotives!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

Great day out for steam railway buffs and an excellent opportunity to visit Haworth (famous for the Bronte sisters) and surrounding countryside of west Yorkshire. Do go to Oxenhope for a really good snack at the railway station buffet (in an old railway carriage).

Alameda, CA
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Delightfully nostalgic day”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

We took the train from Leeds, then purchased a Rover ticket on the little railway which allows unlimited hop-on, hop-off travel between stations. Despite the rainy weather we had a glorious time. This excursion railway, unlike most, offers opportunities to see several village stations which are all beautifully maintained, and to talk with local volunteers -- and the local museums are an added treat. At the end of our travel we arrived at Keighley where a terrific brass band greeted our train's arrival -- wonderful. Congratulations to the hard work by the volunteers who have made this a very special attraction.

Frome, United Kingdom
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“A trip back in time...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

As a big fan of the Railway Children when I was young me and my mother in law decided to have a quick visit to Oakworth Station where it was filmed and for a mere 50p for a platform ticket (dispensed out of an old fashioned ticket machine) it seemed to be an opportunity we could not miss out on!

The station is a trip back in time with old advert hanging on the railings, the ladies waiting room sympathetically decorated and even an old luggage trolley (which got my mother in law very excited!)

The station is maned by a uniformed station master in an office which has also been 'frozen' in time...

We didn't get to have a ride on the train but plan to in the future...