“Enjoyable stay. Not the "all mod cons" of the larger chains”

and 1 more site!
The Old White Lion Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Haworth
Limerick
“Enjoyable stay. Not the "all mod cons" of the larger chains”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

I stayed here for one night on business. It was recommended by the business I was visiting.
I arrived later {around 11pm}. Initially I was a little confused as I did not know where to park and after a few minutes found the small car park at the rear with 6 or 7 spaces.
Check-in was easy with the owner taking care of me {apologies for forgetting his name}. He was quick to know if I wanted anything and was happy to help. I did have a pint of Goose Eye, which I recommend.
The room was smaller than expected {not a Hilton / Radisson Blu / experience} but was clean and the single bed was very comfortable. There was some TV noise coming from the adjacent room. I'm not sure if it was because the TV was on too high or if the walls were not good at insulating sound. The toilet was small with the toilet seat in a small space beside the shower. {had to leave the corner door of the shower open to use the toilet}
Having a small car park went against me as I was woken up after 7am by reception who asked for my car keys to move my car as my car in the outside space was preventing the car in the inside space from getting out {two rows of spaces with the outer ones blocking off the inner ones.}
Last thing, make sure you lock your door as it does not automatically lock, as you may expect. You need to insert and turn the key or the room will be accessible. Might not be an issue but worth knowing if you are security conscious.
Breakfast was excellent. A nice menu with lovely food. Checkout was not problem.
Overall even though it was a mixed review the people here are lovely, the athmosphere is very nice. The food at breakfast was excellent. I would stay here again. I'm not sure if I am making concessions giving the quaint nature of the hotel. It is not intending to be a 5-star contemporary hotel. What it does, it does well. There is a personal touch at work which is very nice and refreshing. I would note other reviewers tips about asking for a better room during the booking. Perhaps leave your car keys at reception if you are parked in front of another car in the car park.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the countryside are nice and quiet. Other reviewers have recommended rooms that you...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
reading
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

My Husband and my self had 2 nights here this month and had a nice stay. staff very nice and will always help. we had dinner the first night and the steak pie was the best i have ever had out loads of meat. few things that we would change 1st new pillows would be good very worn and flat. and also at Breakfast it would be nice to have your tea and coffee made for you as you are up and down all the time as there are no tea pots.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sallyReading
Tamworth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

What a fantastic place with so much history. This hotel gave everything needed and the owners and Staff were so welcoming and helpful for the second we arrived to saying "Goodbye" on our way out. Dont come expecting a glitzy place like a modern hotel but come prepared for an experience. The breakfast options are some of the best I have had all over the world
Rooms and bathrooms are not massive but they are squeaky clean and very comfortable with a full range of complementaies both in the bedroom and bathroom
This goes to proove that Yorkshire folk are the friendliest people that you will ever meet, especially the ones that work here

Room Tip: All rooms are good
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

On a day trip to Haworth (all 404 miles round trip), we selected the White Lion for lunch, the girl who met us was very pleasant showed us areas to sit

We selected to share Nachos for a starter which were hot and tasty, main meals were the the Smokey Chicken breast which was moist, tender and easy to cut, the hand made chips were chunky, the other main was the Game pie, which was again well cooked and the meat was tender, this came with a selection of vegetables

All in all this is a nice restaurant which is nice and cosy and does not blare out music. I would recommend this for a meal

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tobester
Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

The Old White Lion hotel is a reflection of Yorkshire hospitality personified. The building has a character of its own that evokes nostalgic thoughts of Victorian novels read when in childhood. On entry one is transported into a time of gentle good manners and a genuine desire to please so rarely found in today’s frenetic world of instant gratification.
The ‘down to earth’ and common sense approach tempered with humour by the receptionist puts one at ease from the outset. Nothing seems to be too much trouble. The en-suite room I was allocated was extremely clean and very well appointed. The double bed, I would later discover, so comfortable it seemed to possess an anti-gravity mechanism that floated one to sleep within seconds.
On my first night, being wary from a day’s travel and work, I decided a beer and a bar-meal would be sufficient before retiring to recoup my energy. Expecting a normal bill-of-fare I was immensely surprised to find several ‘specials’ on offer that would not have looked out of place in a select Kensington restaurant. I opted for a duo of pheasant breasts, sandwiched with Italian Parma ham, accompanied with fresh vegetables and rich piquant wine sauce. When it arrived, courtesy of a very pleasant waitress, I was almost sorry I had previously ordered a pint of beer instead of a fine Burgundy to go with it.
On finishing my meal I elected to try another ‘real’ ale and was immediately drawn into conversation with the local clientele. The wit, wisdom and welcome I received was beyond compare. The conversation flitted between the surreal, the serious and the maniacal. From my experience the folks of West Yorkshire must all be descendants of Aristotle, Plato and Graucho Marx. What a superb evening!
Before this review turns into a novel let me say one thing. There are many things each one of us should attempt to do before we pass on. One of these things must include a stay at the Old White Lion, Haworth if only to experience England of a bygone age. I give my heartfelt thanks to Rachael, Doreen, Judith, Chris & Paul (landlords), and the whole staff for making my stay so very welcome.
PS: Do not, under any circumstances, miss breakfast.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Alan J
Oldham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

We have just returned from A Fabulous nights stay at the Old White Lion.The room was Cosy and warm(6) We had evening meal in the resturant which was exellent,as was the breakfast.The staff as always were friendly and helpful, we will be returning very soon with our Grandson.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Telford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

We've just had a couple of nights at the Old White Lion - a revisit after several years away; and we were not disappointed. Without exception the staff were friendly, helpful and polite. The room [8] was spotlessly clean, cosy and had wonderful views. Our only comment would be that a 4'6" bed would be a good investment rather than the 4' currently in place. The extra few inches wouldn't detract from the size of the room, and would make a big difference to most guests.
The food was plentiful, varied, well cooked/presented and good value. We missed Wednesday steak night, but Thursday's pasta menu was really good. There are a couple of good veggie options along with fish options, so no need to worry that you won't find something to your liking. My other half particularly enjoyed the steak pie...... Cehf's banana and toffee icecream is to die for.
The Hotel does offer free wifi throughout, but bear in mind that you are essentially in the country, and the signal is not the best.
The decor may not be 21st century chic, but it is very much in keeping with the age/style of the building, and very cosy. [ a definite step up from the allegedly 4* hotel we stayed in the night before we arrived here.]

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hadenmaiden
Also consider these accommodations in or near Haworth
Premier Inn Bradford North (Bingley) Hotel
#9 of 20 in Haworth
The Fleece Inn
The Fleece Inn
#6 of 20 in Haworth

Been to The Old White Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!