“Cheap but poor quality”
Review of Dalesgate Hotel

Dalesgate Hotel
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Keighley
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here early July as a base for the Tour de France. If I had been here on holiday or with the wife we would have gone else where.

The room was adequate but didnt like that the kettle was under the slopping ceiling meaning virtually on my knees to make a drink.

The weather was very hot. As it was on the front if you open the window you get all the noise of passing traffic.

With breakfast, the sausages were bland and the coffee had no flavour. On the second morning had to go into the kitchen to find the staff to see if breakfast was open.

They advertise as having a restaurant but didnt see anything to say it was open or even in use other than for breakfast.

Definately wouldnt stay again.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank David H
Stephen A, General Manager at Dalesgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Thanks for your comments. I would have thought as you were the only occupant of the room you would have moved the kettle to a more convenient socket. As we currently have a score of 8/10 from Booking.com clients & 84% from Laterooms, I think your comments prove the point "you can't please everyone all of the time. It is unfortunate that you didn't mention any of the above at the time of your stay but choose to hide behind what you perceive to be anonymity.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

We booked into Dalesgate for 1 night, if it had been 2 we would have gone else-ware, upon arrival we had to wait about 5 minuets before any staff arrived, we were given a room key with directions to get there, we walked threw the bar area which had dirty glasses on the table (15:30).. our room was a VERY small double with eaves so you could not use one side of the bed. The shower was pathetic. when we went down for breakfast the room was very dated, food sub standard.

Room Tip: Book a different hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Antonette M
Stephen A, General Manager at Dalesgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Thank you for your comments. We were sorry to hear you didn't like much about your stay, perhaps had you said anything at the time some of the issues could have been resolved.
With regard to the points you make:
I find it hard to believe you waited for 5 minutes before a member of staff arrived to check you in or if this was the case I can only assume they had popped outside to the bin or were out of earshot of the bell.
Several people had had drinks in the bar when they checked in prior to going to change before attending a wedding, so they had not been left from the previous evening as implied. With regard to the top floor rooms, we are aware the ceilings / eaves are low, quite why it was designed that way is something of a mystery, but short of removing the roof & some major structural work,there is not much we can do to alter that. We recently had some water tanks replaced & following this work the plumbers checked every tap, toilet & shower and all worked exactly as they should & to the required temperature & pressure, so, I am not sure what issue you had.
Most people tend to comment most favourably about the standard and content of our breakfasts, so i am very supised by your comment.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

I have traveled across the world, spent hours checking in and out, but first hotel in my life where I was treated with so much courtesy, respect and faith that I just arrived in my room with just a code to get in, spent a wonderful comfortable night in a very cosy warm top room with refreshing shower and a wonderful welcoming breakfast to follow with a hassle free check out. Overall an excellent stay. I dont know why and who is complaining, go around the world to see even 5 stars hotel not to same standard as this wonderful hotel...

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Many thanks for your kind comments, we are delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable stay & that in your opinion we rate so highly. It is always nice to get reviews such as yours as these days few people offer complimentary reviews even if they have enjoyed their stay, but in the event of a bad experience people rarely mention it whilst they are staying or checking out but inform you after the event via a review page.
So, many thanks for taking the time to let us know you that you enjoyed your stay *& we hope we may be of service again at some future date.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Hotel is very big. Stayed one night and room was on top floor at the front of the hotel. This can be noisy because the road outside is very busy. Lots of parking at the rear of the property and some very nice views. Rooms downstairs are below the level of the road and offer no views. Breakfast was great and served quick. WIFI had good connection. Would stay again if in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for room at rear of hotel above car park level.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comments, we were pleased to hear you had an enjoyable overnight stay, as you mention the rooms at the back tend to be quieter with regard to traffic noise and the view is somewhat better.
We hope we may be of service to you again at some future date.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

We spent 3 nights at the Dalesgate Hotel in July. The Hotel appeared bigger than it looks in the pictures so I was pleasantly surprised when we drove up.I always read the reviews of a place before I go and I can empathise with the person who commented on the decor in some rooms and the hard bed as I must have got the same room. I know the rooms are all different as my fellow traveller stayed at the other end of the hotel and had a different experience. Perhaps the previous reviewer did not speak to the owners about the bed as I did and they could not do enough to help. That night I had extra bedding and was much more comfortable. Although the decor is not ultra modern, this is not the theme of the hotel which is set out of the town and has its own charm. Everything was clean and I was provided with everything I needed.I did find that as a 2 star facility, there was not the soundproofing and blackout curtains which would have helped me sleep better but this was mostly down to inconsiderate neighbours. As for previous reviewers' comments regarding hot water - I did not find this to be an issue. What I believe they have not advertised enough is the fact that Jane, one of the owners, has a massage therapy business on site. I treated myself to a hydrotherapy massage which I highly recommend.

• Stayed: July 2014

Many thanks for your comments, we were pleased to hear that on the whole you had a pleasant stay. Most guests tend to find the beds comfortable, but this tends to be an area where personal preference comes in, with some preffering soft while others like a firmer one. We opted for the middle point and naturally appreciate that wont suit everyone.
We were also pleased to hear you enjoyed the "Hydrotherapy Massage" a technique which is relatively new and certainly more relaxing than conventional massage. I believe the noisy neighbours you mention were other guests returning from a party so I assume they may have been alcohol fuelled, & our apologies that you were disturbed by them.
We hope we may be of service again if you are visiting family in the area.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

we had great service and nothing was to much trouble, our room was nice and had a good nights sleep and a nice breakfast in the morning.
what more can you ask for when you stay somewhere, will defo be going back there again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for your comments, we were pleased to hear you had an enjoyable stay and look forward to being of service again at some future date. Again many thanks for taking the time togive us your feedback, unfortunately in this day & age very few people take the time to write positive comments but far more are inclined to write negative ones which they failed to voice whilst actually staying.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

Received a real northern welcome at this value for money hotel. Great location 10 minutes from the Moors, 1 hour from York and Lake Windermere. Our knowledgeable hosts assisted our relaxing break.
The Hotel was very clean with a modern bathroom and a very comfy bed which insured we had a good night sleep. Breakfast was freshly cooked which made a change from the normal buffet and served with a smile. A really nice traditional family run hotel!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for your kind comments, we are pleased to hear you had an enjoyable stay and hope we may be of service again if you happen to be in the area.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Keighley
Travelodge Keighley
The Old Stone Trough
#1 of 1 in Kelbrook
The Devonshire Arms Hotel & Spa
The Craiglands Hotel

Been to Dalesgate Hotel? Share your experiences!