“Welcome to the 1970s!”
Review of Dalesgate Hotel

Dalesgate Hotel
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Keighley
Reviewed 11 September 2010

First a couple of caveats: 1. At the time I stayed I was feeling under the weather so may have coloured my opinion and 2. I don't get much say in where I stay as my boss generally books the hotels.

Feeling under the weather as I was, I felt that maybe this was clouding my judgement, so decided to make a list so that I could also include the positives. It feels churlish to criticise, as they didn't actually do anything wrong as such, but in this day and age there's so much competition that you have to be on top of your game surely?

Anyway, the positives: There's an ironing board and iron in the room, the modern television has all the Freeview channels as well as a buit in DVD player, there's a corner shop over the way where you can get the basics and a pub up the street, part of the sizzling pubs chain, where you can get very very reasonably priced food. The bed was very comfortable and cleanliness was good. Staff I met were friendly enough and the breakfast was good, although only served until 9. There's a carpark out the back and 24 hour access to the hotel through a keypad.

OK, the negatives - the decor and furnishings throughout the hotel are ancient, with the vanity table in my room too small to do any work on, and with a broken panel, a vanity chair to sit on which left my knees up round my ears and a numb bum and only a wobbly wicker chair or the bed otherwise to sit on. I was in an attic room which had a steeply sloping ceiling and on which I banged my head several times trying to get at my bag/ kettle/ telly/drawers. It also meant I couldn't stand up to use the toilet! The hotel is on a very busy main road into Keighley so the triple glazing is a necessity, and you are overlooked by houses so have to be careful when wandering around in your pants! The "bathroom" only had a tiny shower with 70s head, the water pressure was non-existent, there was no shelf space anywhere, the shower curtain was mouldy and didn't reach the floor of the shower anyway. It was poorly decorated and finished and there was no extractor. It also had the cheapest, thinnest toilet roll I've ever seen in a hotel, even the Ibis which is going some. There was a ripped valance on the bed, the curtains weren't hung properly and although the bed was comfy, the pillow was a strange foam thing which actively tried to bounce your head back off it. The carpark resembled a building site and had dog mess scattered across it. I'd have raised some of these issues with the staff had I had the chance, but there was no-one around at checkout, so just left my key with the others on the counter.

Viewed in isolation, none of these things are that much of an issue, but altogether make staying in this hotel a generally depressing experience. Sorry to be so blunt!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Andrew h

Reviewed 12 August 2010

We stayed here as 3 couples doing a walk from Leeds to Chorley, and the main reasons for our choice were it's location reasonably close to the canal, they allow dogs to stay and reviews of 'excellent breakfasts and friendly service'.
Well I can report that the canal is still in its original location, however we struggled to find the latter two attributes.
In fairness breakfast was okay, but no better. The ingredients were all 'cheap', and considering the price the hotel charges I would have expected much higher quality ( decent sausages and proper fruit juice would be a good start. )
What lets the hotel down the most is the decor - I doubt it's been modernised in 30 years. If that's your thing then great, you'll love it.
Our bathroom had a big hole in the bath panel, and the old-fashioned hairdryer made a racket, whilst cold air limped out. I'm afraid all 3 couples were disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 May 2010

Located on a main road just outside Keighley although there is parking to the rear in what best resembles a building site. Rooms are best described as a mix of the best of the 70's and the general decor is somewhat dated without ever getting anywhere near being quaint or period. The highpoint was breakfast and no complaints from us about the staff or kitchen crew who did serve up a very decent cooked breakfast and were efficient.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 October 2009

we are a paranormal group and wanted somewhere near to investigate hawarth and surrounding area and we stayed at your hotel.the receptionist was very helpful gave us a warm welcome the rooms cosy and beds you don't want to get out off so comfortuble.then we went for breakfast another warm welcome younge lad called wills couldn't do enough for us the breakfast was excellently cooked to perfection and well precented went for a meal at night very enjoyable and the rest off the staff were the same didn't see anyone without a smile would definatly go there again.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 June 2009

Nice comfortable night's sleep and a good breakfast, available early. This last fact probably reflected that a lot of business people seem to use this hotel in the week, but its a handy feature if you want to be out and about early. The bed was huge and very comfortable although the room itself was a little tired, but very clean. This probably applies to some other areas of the hotel, but it had everyhting you'd want. Does exactly what it says on the tin - good clean well priced accommodation

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 July 2008

My husband and I stayed at this hotel on the 8th and 9th July 2008. The room was light, airy, spacious and very clean. Fresh towels were provided daily along with tea and coffee making facilities, iron, ironing board and hairdryer. The windows had blinds which were a nice touch. We ate in the hotel restaurant both nights and both the food and the service were exemplary. Breakfast each morning was freshly cooked and delicious. A lovely hotel which we would highly recommend.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 23 January 2008

I'm not sure if the other reviewers stayed at the same hotel. The welcome was non existant. The interior of the hotel is bleak with a bar of faded charm and the exploits of a enthusiastic plasterer abound through out the property.
Every corner of the hotel is festooned with air fresheners and perfumes. The first room we were offered was smokey, the second had very deep eves making walking around the room difficult. We would have moved onto another hotel if it was not so late.
Breakfast was ok. We would not choose to stay there again and were glad to be on our way.

• Stayed: January 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Keighley
Travelodge Keighley
Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa
Oakwood Hall Hotel
Oakwood Hall Hotel
#2 of 3 in Bingley

Been to Dalesgate Hotel? Share your experiences!