“Friendly to visitors”
Review of Slaters Arms

Slaters Arms
Ranked #54 of 187 Restaurants in Keighley
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The village pub with restaurant
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Friendly to visitors”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We happened upon this pub when we moored our canal boat up for the night on the nearby Leeds and Liverpool Canal - it's in easy walking distance. We enjoyed our meal there and the people (owners and other diners) were so friendly that we went there again on our way back. The food is a step up from the usual pub fare, and the portions are generous. I ate off the specials board both times. It's a typical country pub, with a varied range of ephemera decorating its walls and beams, including several old telephones. We'll definitely eat there again when we're back in the area.

• Visited July 2014

Hereford, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Thanks for looking after us”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Went to Yorkshire to watch The Tour de France with a mate and my son.
We fell upon The Slaters by accident, it was definitely a lucky find.
Originally intended staying in the area for 1 night.
Ended up being based there for 3 days as it was too good to leave!
They looked after us reet proper!
Good food, beer, and service, even managed to sort out some sunshine.
Big thanks to Phil, Rosemary, and all the staff.
Hope to call in again one day.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Bert F
uk
“Rude owners who like a certain type of custom but excellent food!”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I have eaten here many times and each time I have felt unwelcome. However I continue to go as the food is so good! The owners seem to appreciate a certain type of customer and appear cold and miserable with those who don't own a jaguar. In all the times I have been the lady has never been pleasant to me or the people I have been with. In fact I think she goes out of her way to be blunt and is borderline rude. I definitely don't think they like children there. If you're 50-75 with plenty money and an expensive car you're made very welcome, if you aren't the above then you aren't.

• Visited May 2014
5 Thank akdjajaral
St. Jean Cap Ferrat
“King of the Country Pubs in Yorkshire”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We have been back here several times. Very good food, great value and a good drinks selection, super service with a warm and friendly atmosphere have placed this at the top of our country Pubs list. The food menu changes on a regular basis, with daily fresh specials, well cooked and well presented. Several cask ales and a good selection of wines. Friendly owners and the place draws a lively crowd. Will definitely return again.

• Visited May 2014
Skipton, United Kingdom
“Ill-mannered non-response”
Reviewed 16 January 2014

I really wish I didn't have to write this, having eaten and drunk well at the Slaters' in the not too distant past; and this incident may well be just a one-off. I hope so. But given that I wrote and complained about the poor meal over a month ago and wasn't even granted an acknowledgement, let alone any reaction, I'm putting the letter on here and you can judge for yourselves. If the proprietor feels that the best way to deal with complaints, whether or not he feels them justified, is to ignore them completely then he shouldn't be in the trade.

Anyhow, here's the letter. I'll leave it to you to decide:

12 December 2103

Dear Mr Cook

My friend ***** and I ate dinner last night at The Slaters. We’ve eaten there several times before and we confidently booked for his visit remembering the very good food, beer, service and banter that we’d had previously.

Not, I’m afraid, last night.

The Landlord that I bought was slightly cloudy and tasted slightly flat, I’m afraid, though my friend’s Golden Best was perfect.

But that’s really a by the by. We both ordered the sea bass. What we got was two small thin very dry pieces of plain fish (mine had slight crisping round the edges) (and should there have been a sauce?), some vegetables seemingly dumped at random on to the plate (and I like my veggies served separately) and chips which frankly tasted of old chip fat.

What we had was edible – we ate it, but with no enjoyment at all. Had the waitress done what normally drives me mad and come to ask us if all was well, we would immediately have said no; but she had disappeared, and I didn’t want to get up and make a fuss at the counter. Had YOU been there, I might have. Actually I WOULD have, because I can trust you to do the right thing." (as I thought!)

"Our experience last night was utterly unlike all the good meals we’ve had with you before. Have you a new chef? Was he slapdash in your absence BECAUSE of your absence? One thing I’m certain of is that if you had been there, we would not have been given the meal in the condition it was.

I wouldn’t necessarily be writing this letter of complaint at all, if not for the fact that I like the Slaters’ enough to want to come back, have a beer or two, enjoy the banter, and eat with you again. I realise this letter may, however, make it impossible for that to happen. But you, at least, as the manager, deserve to be told the facts so that it doesn’t happen again, because last night was bad for your business.

Anyway, I’d be pleased to learn your views. The receipt for our meal and drinks is attached.

Best regards "

To which as a response?

Nary a peep.

So I shan't be going there again. You only get one shot at being damn rude to me and that was it.

• Visited December 2013