“Modern, trendy and friendly”

Village Hotel Leeds South
Ranked #26 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed 10 November 2011

Ive stayied at the Village Leeds South a few times and always been delighted with my room, and the service Ive received.

The rooms are spacious, with funky decore and oh so comfortable beds.

The lobby is remeniscent of a night club with its neon lights, but the ambiance is one of welcome and comfort.

Its not unusal to see people sitting drinking coffee, reading or chatting in the lounge as if at home or in a familiar cafe.

The staff have always been friendly and very helpful.

I shall definitely choose Village Leeds South when next I stay in Leeds

Room Tip: All rooms Ive tried so far are quiet and comfortable
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business

Reviewed 7 November 2011

Having just spent the weekend at this hotel,on a special deal[DBB 1st night/BB 2nd with comp glass wine/person] 04/11 to 06/11,I now find myself looking to book another stay elsewhere as this was booked as special Birthday treat for my wife that sadly is best forgotten. On arrival we were very pleased to be greeted by lovely reception staff,we found our room/hotel very modern and beautifully decorated/furnished to a very high standard and looked forward to a nice meal in the restaurant,the weekend went downhill from there,given table right next to restaurant door which stayed open all night making us feel we had brought our coats with us,ordered our meal which took forever to arrive,the main course[supposed to be med/welldone fillet steak] tough and BLEEDING all over the plate,and all the veg etc was cold,when this was pointed out to the staff,the reply was,"Sorry I will inform the chef" the meal was removed never to be seen again without any explanation or offer of an alternative. As for the comp glasses of wine they were never offered at all and never arrived. Breakfast on both mornings was cold,slow,bland and most things had run out and took an age to be replenished[this was at 9.00am /9.45]On a more positive note the hotel duty manager was very helpful and sent a bottle of house wine to our room. hopefully the restaurant staff can be brought up to the same standard as the others and let the hotel achieve better revues in the future.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 November 2011

We stayed at the Village Leeds South as we were taking part in the Real Ale Rail Trail and as we wanted to start at Batley, it was a perfect location for us. From check in, to check out, all of the staff members we encountered we're welcoming, friendly and helpful. The whole hotel was spotlessly clean, and well equipped.
The hotel has a gym, bar and restaurant on site. We didn't use the gym but used the restaurant and the bar.
The bar to be honest wasn't to my taste as it was quite cold, and the tables were all harshly lit with overhead lights. However, this is a personal thing, and shouldn't take away from the excellent and friendly service that we experienced there. The bar serves a good selection of bar food, and although we didn't eat there, from what we saw, it looked very appetising.

We chose to eat in the Verve restaurant. There was a lovely living flame fire in the room which made it cosy, and the environment was relaxed. There was a really good selection to choose from off the menu, but we decided to try the two 3 course meals for £29 option. The meal included 3 courses with a glass of wine each. You could upgrade to a full bottle for an extra £7, and also upgrade to a different main course for an added £5. We thought that it was amazing value, and because it was so cheap, weren't really expecting a great deal from the food. However, we were very pleasantly surprised. All three courses were extremely tasty and beautifully presented. All of the waiting on staff were incredibly helpful and friendly.

After our meal, we had a night cap in the bar, and then retired to our room. The rooms are just what you expect from a hotel of this kind, but with a little added character and finishing touches. In other hotels like this that I have stayed in, you tend to get a useless mini iron and ironing board and a hairdryer that is attached to a drawer, that if you have long hair like me, takes about ten hours to dry your hair. However, at Village Leeds South, we had a brilliant iron and ironing board (full size) and a wonderful powerful hairdryer that you could plug into the wall. I know these are minor details, but to me, it made a world of difference. The room was spotless with a lovely comfy bed and our bathroom had a de misting mirror. Which again is one of those little touches that I really appreciate.

Our breakfast the next morning was lovely. We were warned at check in that breakfast tends to get busy between 10-11am. However, after consuming a large quantity of real ale the day before, we had a lie in, and chanced the rush. We got down to breakfast at 09:45 and only really had a short wait. The breakfast is a help yourself buffet affair. We could choose from a full fry up, cereal, fresh fruit, toast and pastaries. I plumped for the full fry up and have no complaints.

All in all we had a good overnight stay at this hotel, it's great value for money and we would stay there again without any hesitation.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Becks M
Reviewed 5 November 2011

Decided to stay here as visiting family in the area. Arriving at the hotel was a bit strange it's in a area of office blocks! Once in the hotel the reception area was buzzing and appeared very welcoming, until we reached reception, to be glared at! There was no 1 else waiting to check in, but the receptionist obviously had better thing to do than greet in coming guests. Check in was quick but not at all friendly, admittadly we do not normally stay at hotels like this (usually the boutique style!) but belived customer service was a thing throughout the industry! Visiting the restaurant we did not gain a much better welcome, for not very much choice and even less value! but the pub was great. It may be okay for visiting business people, but not the common man of the street! The rooms were basic and not overly comfortable or clean. Will not be returning!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank billybremnerLeeds
Toomuchjam, Manager at Village Hotel Leeds South, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2011

Thanks for talking the time to write a review. It would be really helpful if you could forward your name, date of stay and room number in order that I can attempt to track the members of staff you came into contact with. Please email if easier Chris.hartley@village-hotels.com
Kind regards
Chris Hartley

Reviewed 2 November 2011

Stayed at the village hotel 22/23 October 2011. It was a great weekend. The room was nice and clean with all the usual De vere compliments. We ate in the restuarant on both nights and the food was excellant, the buffet breakfast was just as good with plenty of hot food to choose from. The liesure facilities are one of the best ones have have used. Although ther was lots of children there, it was a very pleasant time with the children being no trouble at all. There was only one slight draw back to me and that was I found the bed very uncomfortable, but then again nothing ever feels like your own bed and it did not spoil my stay there. I will certainly be booking this hotel again for another very relaxing and comfortable weekend away. By the way the staff as also very helpful, pleasant and obliging nothing was to much for them and they all had smiles on thier faces. Would highly reccommend this hotel to anyone wanting a nice weekend of liesure and pleasure.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Newmarskeman
Reviewed 1 November 2011

Stayed here before so knew what to expect. Very convenient location for us although may not suit everyone as in an office park with no other bars and restaurants close by. Food in verve v expensive (London prices) and nothing special. Waitress was v good though and brought an extra portion of the curry when I said I was disappointed to receive a kids portion and was still hungry! Rooms are good, although the shower could be more powerful.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Stopped here for one Friday night, the surroundings are a bit industrial. But it is on a business park.

The staff are welcoming & the food was very good. I even got to cook my own steak on a hot stone.

I asked when booking whether there was any functions on & requested a quite room .

After coming out of the restaurant , we were shocked to see the bar and reception area was packed beyond belief. There was nowhere to stand or sit. So no chance of getting a drink.

So off we went to bed 10 pm, only to be awoken at 11.45pm by screaming and shouting drunken clowns in the corridor.

They appeared to be a huge group , they then proceeded to bang of each others room doors run up and down the corridors shouting for the next 4 hours.

This was the worst nights sleep I have ever had ! I would not stay at a Devere group hotel ever again.

I have stayed at 2 Devere hotels in the last 2 months and both stays ruined by the behaviour of other guests.

They just seemed to book huge groups of people in time after time and this is the result.

Normal people get the rough end.

• Stayed: October 2011