“A little dark”

Village Hotel Leeds South
Ranked #26 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We used this hotel as a stop over for one night whilst visiting in the area.
Plus points:
Clean room.
Good parking.
Not so good:
Expensive (especially the bar).
Only wall mounted soap and shower gel dispensers (the latter was empty, and it is too late to call room service for a refill when already in the shower).
Poor lighting in the room.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 October 2013

We stayed for 2 nights at the Village and had our evening meal at the new Vinny & Vino restaurant in the hotel. The food was very good and reasonably priced but the service was excellent. Jadine was very helpful and friendly and made our meal even more enjoyable. I'd come back to eat here again just for her service.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 11 October 2013

extremely comfortable, helpful staff, excellent gym and pool (+ sauna, steam room). Recommended. Although not situated close to the city it is close to the motorway links (M62/M1)
Bar food is reasonable quality and priced accordingly but a la carte also available

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 October 2013

weve stayed in quite a few village hotels but this was by far and away the worst - very noisy in the bar at night ( which sometimes cant be helped ill grant you) but this is the first time ive ever returned to my room at 5 pm only to find the room hadn't been made up and and the excuse the head housekeeper gave me was oh sorry anna didnt start til 2pm ! can you believe that !!!! anyway to there credit they apologised and immediately moved us to another room ( an upgrade too) and gave us a bottle of wine on the house

Room Tip: ask for a room facing away from the motorway - they are a lot quieter
Reviewed 6 October 2013

My husband and I stayed for one night at the beginning of October, a rare night away from our three young children! We had a good stay, and would recommend the hotel for couples wanting a similar getaway.

We payed the higher rate to get one of the 'Upper Deck' rooms, and felt it was good value for money, but obviously didn't see a 'standard' room to compare the two. I think I was expecting more from the bathroom though, a fancy walk-in shower would have been nice rather than the standard shower over the bath that was there, especially since children cannot stay in the Upper Deck rooms (in our house it's only the children who ever use the bath!). But that's just me nit-picking, the bathroom was fresh and clean and there were lovely Arran Aromatics toiletries provided. There was only one set of towels, but another was quickly provided when we asked at reception. The bed was really comfy, and the hair dryer was a decent 'proper' one (not just a travel one attached to the wall).

I used the swimming pool, at 5pm on a Saturday it was quiet and I had a lane to myself for swimming. There was a small section roped off for children's lessons, and two lanes for swimming, a jacuzzi in one corner and still a decent space left for anyone else who just wanted to splash around. The changing rooms were clean, with plenty of showers and hair dryers. A towel is provided, your room card, or the blank card provided with the towel, is used for the lockers so you don't need a £1 coin.

The Starbucks in the lobby is a nice touch, but you should be aware that the prices of the drinks and the food are about 25% higher than their high street branches. We only realised after we'd paid over £11 for two coffees and two pieces of cake! But the prices are clearly displayed, they are not trying to hide it.

We ate at the Vinny & Vito Italian, the food was delicious and on the whole the service was good. I think some of the negative comments on here must stem from teething problems when it first changed brands (I think it was a Verve bar and grill before) but from what I could see these glitches have been ironed out. We had to remind our server about our drinks order when it still hadn't arrived by the time our starters came, but other than that we have no complaints.

Breakfast was ok, all 'help yourself' apart from hot drinks which are provided by a waitress service. Again we had to remind someone that we were waiting for a pot of tea - I think it's just the drinks service they need to look at! Cereal selection was not great - cornflakes, bran flakes or granola was all you got. Croissants and mini pastries were lovely, the toast was ok but the bread was thin sliced. Cooked selection was average, the sausages were cheap soft ones, not very meaty and could have done which cooking a little longer. We normally stay at Premier Inns, and their breakfasts are much better!

Overall a good break, we only saw about 10 children at most at breakfast so I'd definitely recommend this hotel as a place to go if you have chance to get away from your own children for a night! We will stay at a Village Urban Resort again if my parents will agree to have the children for us again! Maybe next year!

2  Thank Hippo87
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Due to a birthday party we needed to stay in the area. After serious consideration we opted for this hotel and made the upgrade to the 'upper deck' rooms on the third floor. This upgrade includes a bath in the en-suite, Arran Essentials toiletries, and Starbucks almond biscotti and instant coffee. There is also a Bose iPad docking station and the worlds biggest bed. On the subject of the bed, we have a sealy mattress at home which we have always loved and this bed was no different. I actually think this is the best nights sleep I have ever had in a hotel, which is saying something. Maybe it is due to the bed linen upgrade you get in 'upper deck'.

We greeted by a very cheerful receptionist and she was very efficient at her role, booking us in and apologising for our wait as she was alone due to staff sickness. The only thing that I have found really, and perhaps unduly, annoying is that all the staff wear jeans. Try working out who the staff are and who the guests are when everyone is dressed the same! It may be that some-one thought this would look friendly but it just looks scruffy to my mind.

The room and en-suite was spotlessly clean, and I personally found the grey walls very soothing. The rooms appear to be new or newly refurbished, and we felt our room was well designed with good lighting, and facilities.

Breakfast was the only slight let down for me. We had been warned that it could get extremely busy after 10am so went down at 8:30am. Already the restaurant was busy but everything was available which is to be commended and the staff worked extremely hard to keep on top of everything. Slightly strangely the fruit salad and some cold breakfast items were round by the hot foods and away from the the other breads and cereals. The hot food was kept very warm but I would loved a veggie sausage but this wasn't available or offered. Given bacon, sausage and black pudding are offered to the meat eaters I don't think this is much to ask! The quality was very good though, and the fruit salad really was fresh.

There is ample free car parking for guests, a Starbucks on site, leisure facilities including a pool and an Italian restaurant - a complete package! It is also just off the M62 which provides an excellent location.

We will definitely be staying here again if in the area, £95 for the night wasn't the cheapest but sometimes you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Upgrade to 'upper deck' rooms on the third floor if you can. It's worth it!
Reviewed 6 October 2013

really near to the motorway so easy to find, staff very very helpful and friendly. room very modern and clean with great bathrooms and comfortable beds. leisure centre really nice, pool warm and clean. great to have both a restaurant and pub for food and a starbucks. breakfast very good choice and good quality food.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family