“Used to love this hotel but disappointed with our last stay.”

Village Hotel Leeds South
Ranked #26 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Used to love this hotel but disappointed with our last stay.”
Reviewed 25 October 2013

I hate to say this but my last stay at this hotel left me very Disappointed. I have visited the hotel on many occasions and have always loved it (My last review, I raved about it and have actally sent family members here as gifts) When my sister and her partner stayed as part of their christmas prezzie I was disappointed to here that the food was not very good and that they were shown to a dirty table at breakfast. I put this down to personal choice and maybe a bad, busy day by the staff. Unfortunatly when I visited with my partner two weeks later I found that the food had seriously gone down hill. The usual restaurant, the Verve Grill had been turned into an Italian. The last three times wehave stayed at the hotel we have dined from the "2 dine for £29' menu in our room and just paid the tray charge. When my sister visited she said that hotel would not allow this. When we arrived I asked at reception if it would be (as it has every time we have stayed) and were told that we could not do this and that they had never allowed it! I could not beleive my ears, also the man that the receptionist spoke to, to ask if it was ok did not even acknowledge us as we were trying to say that we had done it before, We decided that we were fighting a losing battle and headed for our room. As it was a special occaison we had decided to treat ourselves to an upperdeck double. Don't waste your money. Yes the sky movie package and docking station are a nice touch but not worth the extra. The room did not appear much bigger from ones we have had previously and the bed felt no different. The biggest disappointment for me was that the Star Bucks beverages which are strongly advertised are just sachets. Nothing spectacular. We ordered off the Italian menu and had the food brought to our room as usual, the pizzas were the worst I have tasted, no taste at all. Then my cheeseboard was a total let down, 4 tiny slithers of cheese and instead of chutney(which is what it is served with on the menu) I was given a ramakin of honey!? Awful food. The next day at breakfast, we too were shown to a dirty table and were not offered tea or coffee. We had to hunt a member of staff down for coffee and cutlery. Unaccepable. It is a shame as the overall rooms and the leisure facilities at this hotel are great however the new restaurant has really let it down. The fact that we have been regular customers to this hotel but for the reasons above we will not return is very sad. If you do visit the hotel please eat at the victory pub as the food there is delicious however a lottle over priced.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Rotherham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 October 2013

My son picked this hotel for his wedding and ok i wasnt convinced when they booked it .
The wedding room was lovely but badly supervised there were times we were left standing around wondering what to do , however the 1 thing that made up for that was the food that was served .. to say we ended up two stone heavier would be an understatement the portions were fantastic and of good quality .the staff were attentive and polite and worked hard to accommodate our needs.
The family stayed overnight mostly taking up the top floor , the beds were clean and the rooms well kept , we didnt hear any noise from the disco that went on till 1.30 .
The breakfast was a buffet style everything from a full english breakfast to fresh fruit and pastries all of excellent standards . our stay was brilliant we would love to return again .

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Good and very busy facility. Rooms were clean & comfortable. Staff were very friendly and helpful. It wasn't easy to find initially & a signpost from the M62 would be helpful. The restaurant provided good food but more staff would be better during the very busy evenings

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Pontyclun, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights to attend a friends daughters christening. It was very easy to find using a Sat Nav and was ideal for the M62. We stayed with our 1 year old twin daughters and found all the staff very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was lovely and lots of choice, and the food from the Italian restaurant and the bar was also very nice. The hotel room itself was good, I do think the family rooms could be bigger as when you have children (espcially twins) you need to bring a lot with you, the sheets/towels were clean but I felt that the room could have had a bit more of a dust as I did notice that quite a bit, plus there no complimentary toiletries (the first hotel I have ever stayed in not to have any)! the shelving behind the bed does need attention as it is looking very worn (room 404) apart from that we were very pleased with our stay and we would definately stay again if we could get a good deal on the price!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Chester
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Visited this hotel in May of this year with a hen party.

I found the hotel to be lovely and modern with plenty of facilities including nice bar and restaurant, great leisure facilities, starbucks and lovely function rooms

We attended a Dirty Dancing tribute night and must say what great value it was. I was very pleased with the service, room and overall staff were great.

Would definitely stay again

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 October 2013

This is odd location for hotel (off the M62) but I needed to be on the same office complex area, so the location was perfect. No problems with check-in or check-out. However for over £80, the rooms were a bit disappointing. The view is off the back of wall of another building, but if you were lucky like me and on the 2nd floor or higher, you may be treated to views of the M62. The room lighting is odd and dimly lit in the wrong place, particular the wardrobe area which is shrouded in darkness. So dark that the cleaner had missed a sock left the previous guest under table. The bathroom, thankfully, was brightly lit and clean, although the handwash soap was almost empty when I arrived. There is complimentary tea and coffee. The flat screen TV isn't the best quality and I had trouble connecting to the wifi.

I was also put off by the amount of promotional material in the room. When you arrive, one is wrapped around your pillow (!), another on the bed itself, and several others across the ledge above the bed.

On the plus sides, use of the gym and swimming pool were a nice perk. Breakfast was included which included a decent buffet selection. I visited the same restaurant on both evenings of my stay and was less impressed for dinner were the food took a long to arrive and service was slow and patchy.

Overall, I just felt there were too many little niggles and would have expected a bit more for my money what was touted on the glossy web-site.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Shoeburyness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2013

I stayed at this hotel Tuesday 15th October for 1 night on business. I arrived at around 17:30 needing to complete some work, alas, I couldn't connect to the wifi. I contacted reception who were already looking into the problem. With nothing else to do, I booked in for a free gym class at 18:30, which was excellent. The gym and pool facilities look excellent. I returned to find the wifi up and running again.

I phoned room service and requested to place an order. I really struggled to get through to anyone, having to call 5 or 6 times as I kept being diverted to an answering machine. Eventually after about 20 mintues trying, I got through. I was told there was about an hour's wait, which was disappointing. I accepted this wait and attempted to order. As I am vegan, there was absolutely zero option on the menu, so I asked for the gnocchi without cheese (allergic to cheese). About 15 minutes later, I got a call to say the cheese was already mixed in the sauce! So asked for just plain pasta with tomato sauce and garlic bread. This came around 1 hour later and I was charged £15 for the pleasure, which I thought was quite vastly over inflated. It's a shame as this took the shine off this otherwise pretty good hotel.

Check out took a while as it seemed the two staff both had some rather 'difficult' customers at the counter. I would stay here again, but just remember to bring some food of my own! I know I could have gone to a restaurant but I dislike dining alone.

Room Tip: I had room 410, which was fine. Overlooked the motorway but zero noise from it.