“Comfortable, quiet and wonderful staff”
Review of The New Ellington

The New Ellington
Ranked #16 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed 23 February 2012

Tucked away in a quiet street, understated exterior, tasteful interior.Wonderful welcome from attentive staff. This hotel is part of the'Bespoke' group, but to be truly bespoke it should pay more attention to detail. If the rooms were fully equipped from the start it would put a lot less pressure on the staff. One should not have to ring room service as soon as one arrives to ask for, bath robes, slipper, coffee pods- which are all advertised in the marketing.Coffee machine instructions incorrect.It's a shame too that one has to ask for the mini bar to be stocked up. Surely they are missing out on some business here and encouraging guests to put their own champagne in the empty fridge and use the wonderful supply of champagne/ wine and other assorted glasses We were not early, so there was no excuse for missing items. Complimentary pre programmed i pods were not available (all sent for re-programming ,apparently) and it took 2 attempts, and a new cable, by the manager to get the one we had luckily brought with us to work.The room was tastefully decorated in a 'Interior designer remit' way. but I was disappointed that the shape of the room was the standard L shape Travelodge/Premier Inn layout.Lovely and quiet though, and the bed and bedding was WONDERFUL. Bathroom, nothing special. Standard hotel bathroom with a rainshower (with not high enough pressure). Bottom of bath a bit grubby. Toiletries and towels very nice. Nice extras like shoeshine and iron and ironing board and some magazines to read, not just the standard trouser press.
We didn't try the restaurant as we had other plans, but had a great gin cocktail on our return.Delicious... worth every penny.Bar staff very polite and attentive too.
Tried the breakfast on the Sunday morning. I do not expect piped radio 2 music with my breakfast in such a lovely hotel. Maybe not jazz (Jazz themed hotel) but really, Radio 2!!!!
Breakfast was a bit of a disappointment.Severely overworked staff meant a long waiting time.Thin supermarket sliced bread as toast under the stingy portion of scrambled egg. There are so many wonderful breads available these days, surely they could do better. IBlackcurrant jam labelled 'strawberry'. Fresh fruit looked like it had been cut by a builder. Who wants half a kiwi fruit on their muesli? Uninspiring packet cereals and tired Danish pastries. No ham for the eggs Benedict I ordered, although the wild mushrooms were an unexpected surprise. The eggs were PERFECTLY cooked and served on a toasted bagel. What a shame the hollandaise had split and also tasted far too vinegary. I actually felt guilty that I'd possibly put the chef under too much pressure even though there were no more than 10 people eating at the same time as us, all of whom had a long wait.
I know, you think I'm being really picky.... but this is a 'bespoke' hotel. If you don't need to be in the centre of Leeds I suggest you try a Country House style hotel like Middlethorpe Hall Hotel near York where the surroundings make you feel truly special, as do the staff. I really can't fault the staff at the New Ellington,but the full room rate is too high for what you get. The discounted rates are fairer. Great for a one night stay if you're in Leeds for the evening and want a good night's sleep. Oh yes, I forgot, the heating didn't work, even at 30 degrees cold air blew out, so we just turned it off. Couldn't bear to trouble the staff again and the bed was lovely and cosy

Room Tip: Absolutely no noise in room 302, away from lifts and passing guests
1  Thank makochar

Reviewed 23 February 2012

hotel was nice on check in...
nice helpful staff...
303 was had quite a small bathroom so asked to upgrade to a suite.
Was upgraded to a suite 301 junior suite and bathroom was still the same size!
Over all it was a nice room.
The housekeeping needs to be more proffesional though as there was quite a few bits and pieces everywhere.
The coffee machine had the pass certificate on the top for all to see.
Strange.
The hallways were just terrible.
It felt like being in a hospital wing but with no decorations whatsoever.
Also when I went for a late night drink to the bar I took the lift down with four room service trays.
Had a chat with the night porter for around ten minutes then retired back to my room to only take another trip with the room service trays.
No sausages on the breakfast was quite weird as it was a full english.
The layout of the breakfast was nice tho.
No sauces for the breakfast.
Overall I think the hotel is nice but only for a short period of time because it is new.
Once the furniture runs down and gets used a lot I think that it will lose its shine.
In a year or two it wont be a place that will keep the shine its got now in my opinion.

Room Tip: choose the junior suite... I didnt have a look at most rooms but this one has a nice size.
1  Thank CR0762
Reviewed 6 February 2012

Just come back from an evening at The New Ellington Hotel. What an experience.
From the time we were greeted at reception till the time we booked out, we were treated brilliantly. The staff are all AMAZING!
The room (junior suite) was superb and well appointed. The bed was large and comfortable which resulted in a great night’s sleep.
Once I managed to conquer the use of how the taps worked, the shower was fantastically refreshing.
But the star of the show (as always) was the restaurant.
After cocktails in the lounge (an Ellington Hurricane and a Duke Collins – HIGHLY recommended) we were guided down to the restaurant.
Haven eaten at the restaurant before, I thought I knew that we were in for a good time but dinner last night ranked in my top 5 meals ever!

We started the meal with
12 hour Cooked Pork Belly with Piccalilli & Sour Dough
Orkney Scallops, Celeriac Truffle puree, Apple Caramel & Granola

For the main course
Pave of beef with ox cheek on creamed potato, golden beetroot and a horseradish hollandaise
Dessert
Banana soufflé, banana bread, caramelised banana, condensed milk ice cream
This was all enjoyed over a fantastic bottle of Malbec.
I would highly recommend a meal at the restaurant and if you plan on having a few cocktails and wine... plan ahead and book a room. I highly recommend it, especially as you are able to wake up in gorgeous surroundings and a breakfast to remember.

A real asset to Leeds!

Room Tip: If you able to afford it, a suite is amazing. We looked out onto the atrium and heard no noise at a...
2  Thank Du_Watson
Reviewed 4 February 2012

Perfect for a weekend city centre break if your looking for a touch of quality and comfort. Close to the town centre with friendly staff and parking available on request. Recommended.

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed 1 February 2012

The hotel is well furnished and tastefully decorated. The room was well equipped and nicely kept, though the extractor fan in the bathroom continued to run all night which was a little annoying.

The breakfast could have been better, the fresh fruit was nice (apart from the melon which was under-ripe) but the way it was presented made it difficult to cut up - partly because of the style of bowls and plates provided. An order of scrambled eggs on toast looked a little miserly sat in the middle of a large plate.

It had been our intention to have dinner there on the Sunday night but only when I enquired about the menu late in the afternoon was I told the restaurant wouldn't be open that night. There had been no advance notice of this, and if I hadn't asked the question we wouldn't have known until we turned up to eat.

Having said this I would go back to the New Ellington, mainly because of its central location and the lovely interior design.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 January 2012

Check in was fine, the girl on the desk really nice, friendly and professional even tho the computers were down and it took a little longer than usual. Bathroom was slightly dirty but to be fair was cleaned immediately after we called reception. The room was lovely clean and spacious. We were disappointed not to be able to have a cocktail as 'someone didnt order the fruit!' on the previous day. All in all pretty good hotel but not spectacular.

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed 13 January 2012

On the occasion of our son's Wedding, key guests were flown in to Leeds from Bermuda. It was essential that we found a hotel that was more like the 5 star hotels to be found abroad and less like the traditional tired 5 star hotels that , for some reason, we have to put with in the UK.
The New Ellington ticked every Box in its pre-publicity and then double ticked the very same boxes in reality. I would not hesitate to recommend this most atmospheric venue to anyone used to luxury and comfort. It was also very interesting to note how many other guests , staying at other hotels in Leeds, gravitated towards the New Ellington and asked why they hadn't been told about it. A great experience on one of the moment important days in our families history

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family