“A real gem! Don't miss it.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The New Ellington

The New Ellington
Ranked #14 of 86 Hotels in Leeds
Canberra, Australia
“A real gem! Don't miss it.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2012

What an amazing hotel! I couldn't fault anything. As soon as I walked in I loved the feel of the place. Very funky decor. The staff were so welcoming and friendly, nothing was too much trouble. I was on my own as I was visiting from overseas to visit my daughter who is on exchange at uni in Leeds, so their welcome and thoughtfulness was very much appreciated.

Then the room - wow! Luxurious. I couldn't believe it for such a reasonable rate. Huge comfy bed, plenty of room with a desk and comfy chair. It even had a nespresso machine and trouser press. The bathroom was lovely too - great shower with huge fluffy towels, heated towel rail etc.

I had breakfast at the hotel twice. It was great, the best scrambled eggs I've had since I've been in the UK! They clearly have a great chef as the room service food was outstanding as well as reasonably priced and prompt.

I loved the location in a very quiet street but an easy walk to the centre of town and literally a couple of minutes walk to the train station.

After a weekend away, I returned to find they had given me a free upgrade to an even better room! The staff were also very helpful with travel tips around the region. I am sure it helps that it is a small boutique hotel so the staff get to know you.

If I return to Leeds I would definitely stay there again. I would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Any side of the hotel is fine.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Oz123_12

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2012

I stayed in this hotel on a weekday for one night and booked the room online. I chose this hotel because of the good reviews and it is quite close to Leeds train station. It was quite easy to walk to and took just over 5 minutes. The hotel is situated in the more business district of Leeds, there is a Tesco express, basement restaurant next to the hotel and a Pizza Express nearby but no shops. If you would like to stay in a hotel next to the shops or bars then this is definitely not it. However, it is within a short walking distance so it should not be a problem.

I was given a room in the first floor. I was informed by the reception staff that there is a problem with the bathroom mirror light but it is totally safe. As you can see from the picture I attached, there is a missing bathroom mirror light. There is also a lot of wear around a glass top next to the coffee machine, the veneer at the front of the desk has partially peeled off, the bedside lamp does not work because the plug is broken and the box that holds the tea and coffee has a pin which allows you to pivot at one of the corners to allow you to access the three tiers which was broken. Bar from all these minor problems the room as you can see is very nice. From my understanding, the hotel was not full that night, not entirely sure why I was not offered another room instead?!

The bed is large and very comfortable. It is air conditioned and you can change the temperature to suit your need. I also chose this hotel because wifi and broadband is free which I think is essential these days. There are still quite a number of hotels which charge extortionate amount to use the internet.

The only other thing I would like to point out is, on the side table there is a selection of magazines and a book called This is Leeds. I was flicking through the book and there is a section called the Sons and Daughters of Leeds with a prominent picture of Jimmy Saville. For those people who live outside the U.K. then this might not make much sense. But given the recent event, I would have thought the hotel will have withdrawn the literature. I am not wanting to start a debate about what happened but I cannot think of anyone in the country who will find his behaviour short of deplorable and sickening. If the hotel management reads my review, they may wish to remove the literature.

Overall, I really liked staying in the hotel, it was very comfortable and in a good location. Areas of improvements are some of the things I have already mentioned. I would recommend others to stay here and I will stay again.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
Evian-les-Bains, France
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2012 via mobile

Stayed in a bedroom right by the lobby of the hotel
They were renovating the lobby at the time and the smell of white spirit and paint in the lobby was overwhelming and as my bedroom was next to the lobby I had the same problem. So a night in white spirit fumes - just what I needed after a hard days work. To add to that there were no coat hangers in the cupboard and the curtain (with beads) was on the floor therefore the bedroom had not been checked before my arrival.
I asked to change room and was told they were full so no possibility. Breakfast was poor with an unfriendly waiter.
Clearly I do not recommend this hotel.

Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Newbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2012

If you are looking for somewhere to stay in Leeds, this has to be the place.
What a treat to find a small friendly hotel of such excellent standards. Attention to detail was evident in every aspect of the hotel.The room was very well equipped, smart and with one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. The staff were all very approachable and knowledgeable - The GIn Bar is an added attraction!. The meal was superb - it is worth staying here just to eat - I am only glad it isn't nearer or I would be working my way through the menu regularly! Everything was a delight to look at and the flavours were superb.
If

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Sjm1954
Andover, Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2012

We had been looking forward to returning to the New Ellington following a visit to Leeds in December 2011. Our visit this week showed that the high standards which we found last year had been maintained. Arriving after a delayed 5 hour journey, reception check-in was simple and completed in a minute. The car-park was secure and well lit and I was happy to leave the car there.
The bar was welcoming with its wide range of speciality gins from around the world. Our evening meal in the restaurant was prepared quickly and presented beautifully. Unsual combinations but all the flavours blending well with the locallly sourced food. Portions were just riight even for hungry diners.
The hotel is located on a quiet street near the business centre of Leeds with very little traffic at night. Consequently, even our front room was quiet all night and was furnished with a huge, comfortable double bed. If in Leeds, this should be the place to stay. We shall look forward to returning again. Thanks to all the staff at the hotel who made our stay so enjoyable.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Philipw44
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2012

Staying in city centre hotels often is simply boring as chains rarely have character - but at the New Ellington there is class and character! A warm welcome from an efficient front of house team and comfortable and quiet rooms meant a stay which was enjoyable. Food was excellent and yes, it may be quiet in the bar late at night but that is a bonus! Just minutes from the main shopping centre, the city district is quiet at night but still close to the station and town hall ( 5 minutes walk) and my car was safely parked up in a secure area just across the road from the reception entrance so I didn't have to worry about feeding the meter either.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank ascsroberts
wirral
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2012 via mobile

It could be a very nice hotel sadly it let's itself down.on our first night we thought we would sample the cocktail bar it boasts about,unfortunately after one cocktail we were told that no more cocktails would be served as it stopped serving cocktails at 10.30 even though the same staff member was serving till 12 ish.our bed was. Not a double but two singles pushed together.breakfast first morning was fine but on day two it was catastrophic.after being sat down and ordered a sausage on brown bread and scrambled egg on toast we waited nearly an hour till after asking two half cooked sausages on white bread arrived and cold scrambled egg which was sent back.it was brought back still cold!!when checking out the lip service paid was quite in standing with the poor quality service offered

• Stayed October 2012