“AMAZING PLACE!!!”

Ranked #14 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Wakefield
“AMAZING PLACE!!!”
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Stayed for business and used the meeting room for a conference.

Our clients loved the place and all the staff were excellent especially Anita and Stuart for the assistance in making a large booking and arranging the conference room so everything went smoothly.

The rooms were spotless, modern, spacious and to top it off one of the comfiest beds I've ever slept on!

The barman Tom offered and excellent evening of knowledgeable entertainment in the Gin garden and that made the evening remarkable for us all!

I've been so impressed with the whole hotel and the service that we all received that i have already booked to go back for a relaxing weekend stay with my missus.

Room Tip: All rooms were excellent
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Yorkshirefoodies
TheNewEllington, General Manager at The New Ellington, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Dear YorkshireFoodies,

Firstly thank for your kind comments about the team and for taking the time to mention individual team members, all of which were delighted that you found them knowledgeable, accommodating and professional.

I was pleased that you chose to hold your event with us and that our unique surroundings were the perfect environment to hold your meeting.

It’s also a pleasure to read that you found our beds extremely comfortable of which we are now gaining a reputation for the comfiest bed in Leeds!

Once again thank you for choosing The New Ellington and we look forward to welcoming you back in 2014.

Stuart Ward

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Stayed Friday night at end of January. Unfortunately restaurant closed but plenty of bar food and/or room service available. Barman very helpful and knowledgeable about the extensive range of gins. Room well appointed, huge comfortable bed. Had best night's sleep for ages. Breakfast served in true Yorkshire style - huge full English plus plenty of lighter alternatives. This hotel is conveniently located a short walk from the railway station in the heart of the business centre, but also just a short walk to the city attractions.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank JBL500
TheNewEllington, General Manager at The New Ellington, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Dear JBL500,

The team and I were delighted to read that you found all aspects of your stay enjoyable.

I was delighted to read that you found our beds extremely comfortable and that you found our unique range of gins interesting.

We look forward to welcoming you back in 2014.

Leeds
Reviewed 29 January 2014

My husband and I stayed one Saturday night here. In summary - Positives: it is a very stylish hotel, good location and our room was quiet. Negatives: Primarily - we got charged £20 more than the price we had booked with bad customer service, see below for details.

I booked a normal double online. We had been interested in getting an executive double but these were all booked so on the online form I asked them to get in touch with me should an exec room come available. I did have a voice mail message a day or two later saying that an exec room was now available and I should get in touch with them if we wanted to upgrade. We decided to save the extra money this would cost and just stay in the double. I didn't ring them back as it was clear to me that this was a courtesy call.

When we came to check out we were informed that we had stayed in an exec room and so had to pay £20 more than our booking stated. No mention had been made when we checked in about an upgrade. No way of us knowing it was an exec room. I explained we had booked in online for a standard double not exec, as per my email confirmation.

Receptionist just kept repeating that we had stayed in an exec room so we had to pay the exec double rate (despite showing her our booking and explaining). There was no apology for the misunderstanding (or acknowledgement of the situation), let alone apology for the fact that we were paying £20 more than the price we had booked. We left really frustrated, not helped by fact that after agreeing to pay (seemed to be no other option!) she tried to make the standard goodbye small talk despite fact we were clearly p**ed off.

Other negative points: Prior to booking I had sent some emails asking some questions but these were never replied.

When we arrived our TV wasn't working. Someone came but couldn't fix it so said that he would send someone who "knew bit more about TVs". Another woman from front desk came (same one who later dealt with check out) and kept saying "I don't know anything about TVs" which whilst clearly true did seem unprofessional. My husband and I fixed it (aerial had been pulled out)

Next morning the TV had a fuzzy picture.

Ordered a paper for the next day but this was never delivered.

2 Thank HnAWalton
Dear HnAWalton

Thank you for taking the time to share with the Trip Advisor community your recent stay with us and I am truly sorry that it didn’t meet with your expectations.
Nothing has been brought to my attention concerning your stay or afterwards and when you checked out none of your frustrations was mentioned.

It would be unfair to comment on your reservation without speaking with you personally and if you would like to contact me on stuartward@thenewellington.com and we can arrange a time to discuss your experience.

Please accept my apologies for issues with your TV as I am sure you can appreciate even though we do have a maintenance programme in place, issues can occur with electrical items which are beyond our control.

I look forward to hearing from you so I can personally resolve your disappointment with ourselves.

London
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I have stayed at The New Ellington on 2 other occasions for business and it is a great hotel. I like the downstairs executive room (which is very large) and love the little extras like a decent coffee machine and a lovely bathrobe and smellies. It is close to everything and I have not been troubled by noise outside.

I have booked again on Thursday and 3 colleagues will also be joining me. I am always a little nervous when I make a reservation for others but am sure that The New Ellington will rise to the challenge.

Breakfast is amazing (they make their own black pudding which is delicious) and it is well worth organising a deal for bed and breakfast as there is also a breakfast buffet which looks awesome (which I have never tried as the full English is so huge).

I have found the staff always to be helpful from the receptionists who greet you with a lovely welcoming smile to the waiters who are just the right amount of attentive.

The rooms are clean, the bedding crisp and great quality, the bed is enormous!!

I am sure I will be back again and again.

Room Tip: I like the executive rooms downstairs as they are huge and have amazing double showers!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Keima
Dear Keima

It was a pleasure to share with the team your positive comments concerning all aspects of our hotel, bar and restaurant.

I was pleased that you chose to stay with us and share your experience with your colleagues.

If you will be returning more often, then please let me know and I would be delighted to extend a corporate rate to you and your colleagues.

Reviewed 28 January 2014

There's nothing I can fault about this hotel, the staff were lovely and very attentive. The hotel is in a great location too - very close to train station and within walking distance to some good restaurants. The breakfast was fantastic, the quality of the ingredients really stood out. Will definitely book again when I'm next in Leeds!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank NutbrookAlex
TheNewEllington, General Manager at The New Ellington, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Dear NutbrookAlex,

You may be pleased to know that we are in the process of launching a new cocktail menu coupled with a new concept for our restaurant so you must come back and sample of unique offering.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Milan, Italy
Reviewed 25 January 2014

If I go into all the small and not so small details that were awful during our stay, this review would be way too long for anyone to read, so I'll just sum it up to the best of my abilities.

It all started with reservations. My husband planned this trip as a surprise for me and contacted the hotel to make sure we will be provided with excellent service. He was not after some free stuff, only some acknowledgement. The response to his email was pathetic, as if the reservations manager was doing him a favour letting us stay at this hotel.

Upon arrival, we had to struggle our way through the glass doors with 4 big suitcases only to find the receptionist staring at us from behind the desk.

Our mini bar had only a carton of milk in it.

In the room we found a dirty bathrobe, which we did complain about the following morning. The lady on reception was apologetic, however when we returned to our room that evening, we found the same filthy bathrobe sitting on the floor where we had left it. At this point I grabbed it and took it down to reception. There I met the food and beverage manager, Andrew, who is the only reason why we didn't leave this place after the first night. He is the only person providing some sort of service that would vaguely remind you that you are in fact staying at a hotel.

Don't even think about dining at the restaurant, as they currently have only a breakfast chef, thus are closed for lunch and dinner.

As for breakfast, the lady working that morning seemed just as excited to see us as we were to stay at The New Ellington. Yet another time, she made us feel like they are doing us a huge favour just by being present. Under our table, we found the equivalent of a full English breakfast, I guess the guest before us had just been way to messy for them to clean up after.

Also, what I find extremely strange is that the staff here don't wear name tags, so often you can't make a difference between people working there and people staying there.

I won't even go into details about our checkout experience because it would seem like I'm just too bitter to mention anything positive.

Needless to say, we would never return to this hotel, not even if they offered us a free stay.

3 Thank cserme
TheNewEllington, General Manager at The New Ellington, responded to this review, 26 January 2014
Dear CSerme,

and I am truly sorry that it didn’t meet with your expectations.

Nothing has been brought to my attention concerning your stay when you checked as none of your frustrations were mentioned. If you would like to contact me I can personally review the details you were unhappy about, stuartward@thenewellington.com.

Concerning the comments you have mentioned, our restaurant is closed for refurbishment works in January only and will re-open on Monday 3rd February and this has been confirmed to all reservations made in January so unsure why you though the restaurant would be open.

We don’t stock our mini bars and this is also mentioned on any of the reservations channels when making your reservation. We do as you have mention provide fresh milk in our fridges.

Our team members do not wear name badges as we offer a difference experience compared to other hotels which are more branded they do however wear a uniform which shows a difference between other guests.

I was pleased to read that you found our Food and Beverage Manager helpful concerning the bathrobe and can only offer you my apologies for this error.

I am sorry that you didn’t mention your disappointment during your stay or when you left and that we will not have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

England
Reviewed 25 January 2014

I Cannot fault this hotel, the staff where very attentive and professional, the rooms spacious, stylish & very clean. Nice bathroom. Delicious, tasty, substantial breakfast. Very pleased with my stay. Conveniently close to everything.

2 Thank whatsoccurin
Dear Whatsoccurin,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the trip advisor community. It is always a pleasure to receive positive comments knowing that we are continuing to provide the service we are known for.

It was a pleasure to read that you found our location convenient and that your room was clean and spacious and that the team were helpful and professional. The breakfast chef was also delighted with the comments concerning breakfast.

We look forward to welcoming you back in 2014.