“absolute disgusting”

Ranked #12 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Leeds, United Kingdom
“absolute disgusting”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

This has got to be the worst hotel I have stayed in.customer service it disgusting never be spoken to so rude in my life management poor.arrived at hotel to be told my room is not ready more so it was my wedding day and I had to get changed in a lounge no apologies. Then to arrive back after to get changed to be told again I have to pay upfront.secondly room was cold no coffee or tea which was offered then dinner we waited over a hour to get it.dread to think how they would cope if busy only 4 people in the resturant.also we paid extra for executive room never would go back not worth the money.poor poor poor.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank fran802
TheNewEllington, General Manager at The New Ellington, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Dear Fran802,

Thank you for taking the time to share with the Trip Advisor community your experience with us.
Whilst Trip advisor is a forum for you to share your experience with the wider Trip Advisor community it has to be placed into context with your actual stay.

I have reviewed your comments and I was aware your room wasn’t ready when you arrived as you wanted an early check something of which we cannot guarantee. We try and accommodate early check in requests but cannot guarantee them and I understand that you were aware of this prior to your arrival. We did find you a private space to get changed in before you went back out.

When you did check in, you were asked for a credit or debit card which is standard practise in most hotels and this is also confirmed on our confirmation.

As discussed with the Duty Manager there was tea and coffee in the room but understand that you didn’t look in the draw where this is located. I am disappointed that if you couldn’t find the tea and coffee and you thought the room was cold that you didn’t contact guest relations during your stay.

I am a little perplexed concerning your dinner on Friday evening as we had a live music evening in the restaurant and bar and the restaurant and bar was full. I have personally checked all our feedback from when you dined with us and there was no mention for a wait for food nor was there any indication from when you ordered to when your food was delivered that there was a wait.

Additionally when you spoke at length with the Duty Manager yesterday there was no mention of this of your wait in the restaurant so unsure why this only just come to light?

I do hope you enjoyed the complimentary champagne at dinner together with the complimentary upgrade to a junior suite as it was your wedding evening.

I am of course disappointed that you will not be staying with us in the future.

Stuart Ward

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Wakefield
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Me and my husband stayed at The New Ellington on Friday and Saturday night. It was a birthday treat and we had booked the King Suite at £250 per night not including breakfast. Some people on tripadvisor had said how great the customer service was, but when we checked in, I felt we got rather a frosty reception with the lady checking us in neither smiling nor giving any eye contact.

The room itself was very spacious with two rooms interconnecting to form a large bedroom and separate lounge with two bathrooms and two outside doors etc. The bathrooms were incredibly small and did not feel at all luxurious. The water was luke warm at best and the rainfall shower felt more like a drizzle as the water pressure seemed low. On their website, they keep mentioning the smell of orchids etc but there were none in our room at all. In fact, on the second evening, we felt sure we could smell cigarette smoke coming through the air con unit. We eventually turned it off and opened the windows as we certainly did not want to get charged for something we hadn't done (like a previous reviewer had done).

I don't want to moan too much though as the room space was nice and the bed was extremely comfy. However, for £250 a night, this was a very expensive room and the décor was very shabby indeed. I have uploaded some picture, as I did not expect to find damp patches or chipped walls or the ceiling which was coming down etc. Having stayed at other expensive hotels, I feel you expect things like this to be put right. The next day when leaving, I did mention the décor etc but the lady on reception did not really seem to be that interested and sounded like she had heard that complaint before.

On the whole, the hotel was ok, but for £250 per night, I would look to go elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear SarahW33,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The New Ellington for your birthday and for taking the time for review your stay for the Trip Advisor community.

I was disappointed to read that you didn’t enjoy the room and that you found the staff not welcoming.

As you can see from previous reviews this is not generally the case and I have spoken with the team on duty when you stayed.

My Duty Manager who took your feedback when you checked out was under the impression it was more that you didn’t like the style of the room rather than not been happy with the room.
Please accept my apologies for any misunderstanding.

I’m not sure why the water wasn’t hot enough and the pressure wasn’t as it normally is but from our other weekend guests nothing else was highlighted to us. Had we alerted of this during your stay we could have resolved it for you.

I have reviewed the photographs you have taken and as mentioned in previous reviews all our fabrics are steamed cleaned on a weekly basis to ensure they are clean and fresh. However due to the nature of the material it can show marks highlighted in your photographs.

I’m afraid the ceiling photograph is the actual design of the fitting and all though you thought it was coming down it is actual safe and secure.

We are in the process of a small refurbishment of all our rooms based on the feedback we have received from our guests concerning items like our headboards and these will be completed over the next couple of months.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back once our refurbishment is completed and should this be the case please contact me personally and I would be delighted to make the arrangements for you.

Warm regards

Ascot,
Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

The New Ellington isn't a grand hotel. It doesn't have extensive facilities. The rooms are neither the most spacious nor the best equipped, but if energy, enthusiasm and commitment to guests counts for anything then The New Ellington is outstanding. Having stayed there twice in different rooms it really is a convenient and handy place to stay in central Leeds. It has a great vibe and the restaurant serves up good quality and imaginative food that fits its price tag. Yes, there are more luxurious hotels around and yes there are better kitchens, more leisure options and higher service levels to be found, but if you want to be in Leeds for business or leisure and you don't need a "destination" hotel then The New Ellington will fit the bill just perfectly - and you couldn't wish for nicer people to look after you!

2 Thank Sue-and-Steve-Ascot
TheNewEllington, General Manager at The New Ellington, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Dear Sue and Steve Ascot,

Thank you taking the time to share your recent experiences at The New Ellington with the Trip Advisor Community.

I was delighted to read that you found the team friendly and helpful and you enjoyed our unique offering.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back the next time you are in Leeds and should this be the case please contact me personally and I would be delighted to make the reservation for you.

Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Currently going through the process of getting my £250 back for a smoking charge ( I'm a non smoker ) the guy told me that 3 rooms together was charged for a smoking offence, no notice that this was being taking out of bank nothing. DO NOT STAY IN THIS HOTEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed March 2014
TheNewEllington, General Manager at The New Ellington, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Dear Darylgarner,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Trip Advisor community.

We are a non-smoking hotel and as such we do operate a smoking penalty policy for any guest
who do smoke in their rooms. This is highlighted on the registration card on check in and with signage in all our guest rooms.

I understand that there was evidence you had been smoking in your room and such the penalty was charged to your account.

Warm Regards

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

This is the second time I have been here, this time much better room on the top floor, mini suite, good value, nice style. Food was very good and service ok. Odd check in procedure but everyone has their own ways. Very comfortable bed BTW. I would return and even drop in for a lunch if I was in the area.

2 Thank Matt A
TheNewEllington, General Manager at The New Ellington, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear Matt A,

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed our suite and that you found our bed comfortable. I am a not sure what you found odd about our check in procedure and if you can let me have further information I can look into this for you.

If you are in Leeds area again and wish to stay with us please let me know and can make the arrangements personally.

Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

I liked the location of this hotel, it's design package, the good materials and above the very good bed. Breakfast was simple but service was very good. Downsides are as described by others the room without outside window and the lack of water in the fridge. All together a good choice.

1 Thank Lekker001
TheNewEllington, General Manager at The New Ellington, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Dear lekker001,

Thank you for choosing to stay with The New Ellington during your time in Leeds and for sharing your experience with the Trip Advisor Community.

I was delighted as always to read that you enjoyed our beds and that you found our service professional.

We do water on request, however as a result of your comments and customer feedback this is now in all our rooms as a standard.

Should you wish to stay with us again then please contact me personally and I would be delighted to make the arrangements of your stay.

North West England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 March 2014

My husband found The New Ellington on Tripadvisor and booked two double rooms for a future date. I completed their online contact form about booking a table for dinner the evening of our stay and asking about dietary requirements. I had no response so a few days later I completed the form again and still got no reply. I like to have a written correspondence trail so if anything goes wrong during our visit, I have something to refer back to. You have to ask why bother having an online contact form if no-one replies or indeed is it monitored. I decided to make contact via the website email address on the 10th March and finally received a response from the deputy manager, no apology just that the online forms usually go straight to him but he would have a word with chef and get back to me. Eight days later having heard nothing from him, I decided to cancel the rooms and book elsewhere. If they are unable to address a simple dietary request, what chance is there of them actually getting it right on the night. I emailed the deputy manager to inform him of my cancellation, but no reply once again, obviously customer service is not something The New Ellington aspires to.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Veganolive1
TheNewEllington, General Manager at The New Ellington, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Dear oliveoyl1,

I have personally reviewed your reservation with us and cannot trace any online form being received from yourself.

I am aware of the correspondence between my Deputy and yourself, due to the fact we change our menu on a regular basis as we use locally sourced seasonal foods, my Deputy informed you that he would be in contact nearer the time on your stay to finalise arrangements.

Additionally I understand that our Guest Relations team have called you to ascertain if you have any other requirements during your stay, and we haven’t received anything back from that particular call.

I am of course disappointed that you will not be staying with us and should you change your mind then please contact me personally and I would be delighted to make the arrangements of your stay.